NFR 2022 Baseball Thread

Non-fishing related

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
150+ years of baseball and it's amazing that there are still "firsts" happening.

Congratulations Mariners and Mariners fans 🎉

Agreed.
Baseball does have some crazy stuff that still happens for the first time.

How ironic is this as far as the numbers 61 aligning?
SF

D14E6B55-386C-4037-915C-10FD8582FB14.jpeg

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Really cool to see the playoff drought end.

Also crazy to think back about why in the world it's been so long. it's not like the M's have a crazy or skinflint ownership group over that time. I'm not saying they should have won the WS. But not making the playoffs at all while being mostly stable as a franchise with a nice stadium in a climate that makes summer baseball fun to attend? It's really remarkable.
A few media pieces have been produced over the years looking at their yearly records. IIRC they were expected to make the playoffs 4-5 times based on their records compared to average record of teams making the playoffs. A good bit of bad luck/timing.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Well, how 'bout that! Seattle's farm team did it. Now, without being too much of a smart azz, has any team that made it into the playoffs via a "wild card" slot ever gone all the way to win the WS?

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Well, how 'bout that! Seattle's farm team did it. Now, without being too much of a smart azz, has any team that made it into the playoffs via a "wild card" slot ever gone all the way to win the WS?

Yes

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
I think the SF Giants did win it all at least twice in the past decade + from wild card slot?

search found this @Salmo_g
The following wild card teams have won the World Series: the Florida Marlins, in 1997 and 2003; the Anaheim Angels, in 2002; the Boston Red Sox, in 2004; the St. Louis Cardinals, in 2011; the San Francisco Giants, in 2014; and the Washington Nationals, in 2019.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I think the SF Giants did win it all at least twice in the past decade + from wild card slot?

search found this @Salmo_g
The following wild card teams have won the World Series: the Florida Marlins, in 1997 and 2003; the Anaheim Angels, in 2002; the Boston Red Sox, in 2004; the St. Louis Cardinals, in 2011; the San Francisco Giants, in 2014; and the Washington Nationals, in 2019.
200.gif

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
Braves Mets on the big tv.

Sunday Night Football on my tablet.

What a great time of year.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
On May 25th the Ms lost to the As 4-2 and brought their record on the year to 18-27.

Also on May 25th, my sister texted me, "the Ms need to play at a 100 win pace to even get to 90 wins"

What happened next? Well, from May 25th on, the Ms played at a 100 win pace and finished the year 90-72.

Hell of a second half boys. Hats off. Go get 'em in Toronto.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I would hold out for millions more.

Idiots love paying over the top for their sports memorabilia.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
21 yrs......that is a long time.

Good luck!