NFR 1963

Non-fishing related

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I was an old man of 28 at that time. Well it wasn't me so I was OK with that. I'm trying to remember where I was at the time but my mind told me to go to hell.

mark wlker

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
14 at that time. Watching a Danny Kaye movie in the Jr. High auditorium when it was stopped. Principal informed us of the shooting and sent everyone home. Shortly after, my appendix burst and I was having emergency surgery when Ruby shot Oswald. Had hospital mac and cheese for Thanksgiving dinner.
Retch.

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
In the fall of 59 three of us from our dorm were returning to the student union after watching a concert by Ray Coniff and his orchestra. Another freshman who was active in young Democrats said we should go upstairs and see the senator up there that was running for president. So we did and during that meeting I met senator Kennedy and shook his hand and wished him luck in the election. One of those moments I'll never forget. When he won the election it was a time of excitement and optimism for the future of our country.. I too had just entered a classroom and heard the professor cancel the class because the president had been shot. It was impossible to get close to a tv at the student union so returned to my room and watched the sad events unfold. Sad times indeed.

Uptonogood

PNW raised
Two students interrupted my sophomore English class. We were all stunned. Went to my next class, biology, and the teacher, Mr. Bongers, was crying. The news that the President’s wounds were fatal. They terminated classes and we left. The rest of the day was/is blurred.

Then there was Bobby Kennedy, Gerald Ford, Martin Luther King, George Wallace, Ronald Reagan…not in that order.

Bass-O-Matic

Life of the Party
I was in 3rd grade. The teacher announced what had transpired to the class and class continued. A minute or so later the teacher interrupted class to ask if I was ok. I was not. My mind was spiraling with the implications. It was transformative moment. Prior to that I thought everybody was well intended. It was a very rough rough string of events with MLK and Robert Kennedy's death. The end of innocence.