NFR 1963

Non-fishing related

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
I was in 6th grade, trying to understand what and why. Will we ever really know…?

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Born less than 4 months later, I was named John. Not sure if that is the whole story why. A big part I am sure.

Visiting TX in 2006 was a real spooky experience

Last edited:

Xoxo

I made my first scrapbook . It was about President Kennedy after the assassination. I cut out photos from Life and Look magazines and wrote my own text. I had not been writing very long. I was in first grade. My parents still have that scrapbook.

For the cover I used this photo.F201F786-A164-421D-9D75-770493152DDB.jpeg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Was only three but remember my mom being very upset.

Like @Gyrfalcon22 I visited the site and walked around the grassy knoll, school book depository and Love Field while in Dallas on business. It was a very eerie experience.
SF

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
I saw the site the night before I had a day tour. Driving in the dark our driver said to look for the upcoming X in the road.

That was chilling to see.

I was on the road all over the US. Saw where Custer dropped in MT, Graceland, Ground Zero 911. Pretty much saw most major historical spots. That spot in Dallas was super heavy !

Smalma

Life of the Party
Was a junior in high school and as word spread all the students were taken to the cafeteria to watch the developing news on TV.

The 1960 televised debates were my introduction to American politics. After the events in Texas, I realized that idea "Camelot" was a myth and for the first time realized the USA had serious flaws.

Curt

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
5th grade, the teacher tried to compose himself to tell us about it. We really didn’t understand. A very sad part of our history.

wetline dave

Steelhead
We will NEVER know! This is a conspiracy I believe is justified. Add Rober Kennedy into the mix. A lot of smoke and a lot or Lyndon Johnson and CIA and you name it. No way Oswald was the real shooter.
I am not a big believer in conspiracy but this one kind of grabs me as more plausible than no
Something smells in Denmark!

Dave

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Was the ripe age of 3. Mom was devastated - she'd had the opportunity to meet and interview Kennedy and this hit her hard. For some reason the memory stuck with me .. . . not much else I can still recall from that year.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
I saw the site the night before I had a day tour. Driving in the dark our driver said to look for the upcoming X in the road.

That was chilling to see.

I was on the road all over the US. Saw where Custer dropped in MT, Graceland, Ground Zero 911. Pretty much saw most major historical spots. That spot in Dallas was super heavy !
Ground zero moved me to my core. Having stood on the observation deck on the south tower in 1984, to see the remnants of the foundation as it stands now combined with the incredible loss of life, just brings tears to my eyes.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I was six and remember my dad trying to explain it to me in our front yard when he got home from work. Difficult to comprehend.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I was in Mr. Kelly's freshman English class when Mr. McCabe, the driver's ed and WA state history teacher came in to inform Kelly and the class. I wasn't really sure how to think or feel about it. I think I began to understand it better after I got home from school and it was on the TV news constantly.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I was in the first grade, or grade one as they say up north in Canada. We lived in Campbell River at the time. My first grade teacher was so upset she almost couldn't speak, but she told us what happened and sent all of us home. By that time my mom had it on the TV, and was very upset. I was 6, it was hard to understand at the time... still is really.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
I was 5. Dad explained it as it played out on the news, but didn't sink in.

Watched the funeral on TV.

We pcs'd back state side in 67. With an aunt, uncle and cousins stationed at Fort Meade, we made the trip to Arlington and the eternal flame. I remember huge waiting lines and hundreds of service members saluting as they each got their turn to pay their respects.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
I was in fourth grade. I had just exited the boys room and was walking back to my classroom. A kid was coming down the hallway loudly announcing that the president was shot. I remember the older girls in 5th and 6th grade crying
It was a Thursday or Friday and the next 4 days was spent glued to the tv.
Saw Ruby take down Oswald on live tv.
The funeral the iconic action of John John saluting his father's casket.😥 Very sad time.

Last edited:

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
While just starting a high school assembly the principal walked to the podium and announced what had occurred and that the assembly was cancelled and school was dismissed for the day. After walking home and arriving early my mom asked me why. I told her what had occurred in Dallas. It was the only time, including my dad's funeral, that I ever saw her in tears. Can't believe I still remember that like it was yesterday.