“ gun control “

Status
Not open for further replies.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
So its an assault weapons ban and a permit to purchase any firearm like Oregons HB114.
This should play out just like Oregon with a Washington judge ruling it unconstitutional and putting a temporary "permanent" hold on it.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Someone should tell these geniuses the reason sales are thru the roof isn't because of the gun industry. It's because people are buying before they can't. I've got 30 round mags for my sig - I'll probably never use them. But I got them because they (lawmakers) told everyone they were going to make it illegal to buy mags over 10 rounds. I think I bought a couple dozen mags before that law went into effect. Some I'll never use. Not because of the gun industry, but because the lawmakers. I wasn't alone. A quick trip into any gun store and you hear the same sentiment. But yeah, blame everyone else....

flybill

Life of the Party
So instead of reacting to "what shouldn't be done?".. what should we do? I actually agree with many of you that we have the right to bear arms and as long as we "legally" acquire and store our guns, we should be allowed to own them!

But there has to be some point or guns that we as "regular" citizens don't need or some in our society shouldn't be allowed to legally buy. These discussions on gun control, always start with the premise that if any of our rights to own a gun(s) are taken away, it will open the door to not being able to own any! An all or nothing arguement. Should anyone be able to buy an AR-15? High capacity magazines? What is the definition of a high capacity magazine?

I think so, but how about a mental health check, age limit or longer waiting period?

I know that the government fucks up more than it helps, most of the time, imho... but we've had more mass shootings this month than days on the calendar! Something has to be done! Better mental health provided in our systems is key!

I hope we figure it out sooner than later.. I get to go to Seattle today, and don't look forward to the shit down in the area I'll be at, but it's for an amazing work wine event and it's during the day...

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I am at the age that I have already acquired all of the guns I will ever need. I bought most of them from dealers and filled out the paperwork. Reading through what they are saying, I actually agree with most of it. When Obama was President the NRA went full on scare tactics, and the gun and ammo sales went through the roof. My neighbor kept calling me to notify me that they had whatever ammo at the local sporting goods, and could I pick up a box for him (they had limited sales). I did a couple of times until I began to see how ridiculous the whole situation was. He is kind of a prepper, and in my judgement already has enough ammo to let him fight whatever civil war scenario he has dreamed up until his expiration date, so there is no need to cause further shortages for the grandfather that just wants to teach his granddaughter how to safely handle a firearm.
Then I encountered the NEW type of gun owners at ranges and in campgrounds. People who were so clueless, I felt the need to butt in to what they were doing to allow myself and the innocent people around me to be relatively safe.
I am a life member of the NRA. I joined because of the education resource. This was their primary mission then, to teach people how to enjoy firearms safely and effectively. Seeing all these folks walking around in public carrying, and wondering if they are just as clueless as the folks I talked to, makes me wish that there were some minimal requirement that you actually know some basic safety and handling before you purchase a firearm.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
.......This was their primary mission then, to teach people how to enjoy firearms safely and effectively. Seeing all these folks walking around in public carrying, and wondering if they are just as clueless as the folks I talked to, makes me wish that there were some minimal requirement that you actually know some basic safety and handling before you purchase a firearm.
I think this is a very reasonable stance and not far off from my own. I don't for a second think myself or anyone in my immediate orbit will ever need a firearm to protect themselves - we have a higher chance of them winning the lottery a few times than that happening. But whether they do or not, I hope that them and anyone else who choose to own and use their firearms in whatever way they do have the proper education to do it safely. (quick edit here to add: An alarming number of people I know who do choose to carry on a regular basis also seem to have a strange, almost concerning fantasy with the thought of actually "getting" to use their firearm in this manner...)

Problem with this whole situation is that until those who are properly educated on these matters come up with solutions to this problem that has caused over 2 mass shootings per day just in 2023, those who are less informed are going to come up with these misguided attempts to "fix" the issue. We have a situation where the only ones trying to come up with a solution are those who don't have any idea what they're even proposing while those who are probably more qualified aren't willing to do anything.

We're the only country in the entire world where this happens like this, so there's a solution somewhere. I don't have a single clue as to what that might look like, but I can make a pretty strong bet that it'll be extremely complicated.

This is how I feel about this topic
iu

Last edited:

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I also find this graph troubling and hope someone who knows what the hell they're doing come up with a way to fix that
nejmc2201761_f1.jpeg

SurfnFish

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Have owned firearms since a teen, step-father was a noted 'hobby' gunsmith who built high end hunting rifles, we spent many sessions at the range dialing in hand loads, have an EDC permit, and have no problems with reasonable restrictions, as we need to start somewhere on controlling rando gun violence. Deep dive background checks with a ten day wait are reasonable, as is a 10 round magazine restriction, as the average lethal encounter tracked by the FBI is three shots fired in three seconds at three yards. It is routine target practice and situational awareness that best defends, not extra rounds.

Was in West Australia on a month long surf hang in 96' when the Port Arthur assault rifle massacre of 35 happened. Within two weeks an agreement had been brokered across the respective political parties to make self-loading weapons illegal. During the following grace period buy back program 640,000 weapons were turned in.
Since 1996, mass shootings in Australia - 0
Mass shootings in the US in 2021 alone - 691

When gun laws are introduced, it's not from the politicians alone. The majority of society voted those politicans into office, well knowing their position on firearms and often because of it. Here in OR, the people voted statewide on gun legislation.
And in a democracy, the vote represents the majority will of the people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.