Search results

1. J

I've never fished Samish Lake

I've seen this lake from HWY 5 many times, and it is within driving distance for me to fish (from either my float tube or kayak), but I've never fished it. Apparently there are two places with public access, and apparently there are Cutthroat trout and Bass (both Largemouth and Smallmouth). I...
  2. J

NFR Let's talk about "fat wood".

Until a few years ago I had never heard of "fat wood". It is highly flammable wood that is saturated with flammable "sap". Around here the old growth stumps of Douglas Fir often have "pillars" of fat wood protruding above the outer, decaying stump wood. This "fat wood" is of very high quality...
  3. J

Using a kayak to get into the lily pads.

Today I fished Clear Lake. I've always fished this lake in my beloved float tube. But today I fished it in my "sit on top" kayak. Much of this lake is covered with "Lilly pads" that make float tubes (and power boats) impracticable .The fish know this. But the kayak effortlessly glides over the...
  4. J

Winthrop area in the next 30 days.

I drove through this area a few days ago and have been trying to plan a trip back to stream fish and car camp. I was astonished at the fishing opportunities just 4 hours away from Anacortes. I am looking at camping at Falls Creek campground, Andrews Creek campground and the Thirtymile...
  5. J

NFR I saw a rat in my yard.

Just a quick glimpse of him was all it took for me to go full on "Daniel Boone" on his ass. I ordered a "live trap" online, set it up and got one the first night. Sadly, the little guy did not survive the night and was dead in the morning. Apparently we have "brown" rats and "black" rats (both...
  6. J

NFR My squirrel friend.

I call him Douglas. He comes right up to my window sill for the food I offer. I removed the screen and opened the window. He is inches away. Let me tell you folks, this little guy is a hoot. His body language is so very expressive. The first time I gave him a full peanut his tail was flicking...
  7. J

Driftwood for home decor.

I've always appreciated the natural beauty of driftwood. Recently I've been reading about how to "process" it, and use it to decorate my new "beach vibe" home in Anacortes. The internet photos of lampshades, picture frames, artwork and furniture are truly inspiring. I'm still in the embryonic...
  8. J

Let's talk about Brown Trout at Pass Lake

I spent many summers chasing Germans Brown Trout in the Eastern Sierras. This particular fish has long held a place in my heart. I am grateful to live near Pass Lake that has big Brown Trout. Obviously these "eating machines" are gorging on the Fathead Minnows. Also, I have to believe that they...
  9. J

NFR Let's talk "slicks".

Days like today, where driving, cold rain persists, for hours on end ...the subject of "slicks" seems to be appropriate. I'm not talking about breathable, cortex outer shell stuff, I'm talking about "slicks"...... Of course Grundens is the standard of the industry. However, I would like to...
  10. J

Pass Lake

Drove by the lake yesterday. Totally closed due to algae. The parking lot is now open but the lake is not. The sinkhole was sectioned off, but the parking lot was open. In years past, I have seen the green water,.... dogs emerging comically covered in green slime. But trout fishing was still...
  11. J

Skagit river opportunities coming up?

I've dabbled in fishing from shore on the southern banks of the Skagit (super fun). That being said, I have neglected to educate myself sufficiently on the upcoming opportunities. So, (ever so humbly), if any one could give me the basic overview AKA "spoon feed me"..... information regarding...