Pass Lake

Drove by the lake yesterday. Totally closed due to algae. The parking lot is now open but the lake is not. The sinkhole was sectioned off, but the parking lot was open. In years past, I have seen the green water,.... dogs emerging comically covered in green slime. But trout fishing was still allowed and the fish were still biting. At this time it seems that the trout in Pass Lake have been given a "time out". This irks me as an angler, but my heart sings thinking of all those brown trout that are now living life without the threat of anglers like me.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Fred,
Any reason that you know of as to why they send the sample down to King Co rather then having Island Co test it?
SF

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
This an email from the Park manager I received yesterday. View attachment 35509
It’s probably just me:
“Toxic smell is still high” means what, exactly? Farts can be pretty toxic.

And “as long as the recreational levels are high it will remain closed”. Huh? Isn’t recreational access the purpose of a state park?

I guess I am missing the intent.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Isn't that stuff supposed to be super bad for dogs? The blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) blooms? I'm pretty sure it can cause seizures and death.
Yes, that happened on the Columbia River in the Tri Cities several years ago. A couple of dogs died.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
And “as long as the recreational levels are high it will remain closed”.

Or......since it is closed, how can recreational levels be high?
SF

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I suspect that it means, as long as there are tons of people at deception pass, rosario beach, etc with their children and pets and whatnot, they want it to stay closed to minimize risk to idiots who can't read signs (and their dogs/kids). I highly suspect there'd be a hell of a lawsuit if they knew it wad a dangerous alge bloom, let it stay open, and some kid got really sick (or worse, died).

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I suspect that it means, as long as there are tons of people at deception pass, rosario beach, etc with their children and pets and whatnot, they want it to stay closed to minimize risk to idiots who can't read signs (and their dogs/kids). I highly suspect there'd be a hell of a lawsuit if they knew it wad a dangerous alge bloom, let it stay open, and some kid got really sick (or worse, died).
Right! They should just set off on a mountain excursion with nothing but the shirts on their backs.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yesterday when I checked Pass, I also drove into Deception Pass park. There were five vehicles in the parking lot.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter

It is the most visited state park, so that makes sense.
I guess they'll have to wait for a lull from the idiots visiting it before they ever consider opening the lake back up. ;)
SF

I've been avoiding Pass Lake. When the sinkhole closed the parking lot, but the lake was still open, I thought to myself, this is not going to end well. The parking along HWY 20 is sketchy as hell. Add to that kayaks, stand up boards, kids , dogs, and the agro traffic of drunk tourist and semi trucks... and it just seemed like a place to avoid. When the algae is gone, I will likely hit that lake with a renewed appreciation.,,, Just before the sinkhole, I am certain that I had Pass Lake all figured out. (sarcasm).