Driftwood for home decor.

I've always appreciated the natural beauty of driftwood. Recently I've been reading about how to "process" it, and use it to decorate my new "beach vibe" home in Anacortes. The internet photos of lampshades, picture frames, artwork and furniture are truly inspiring. I'm still in the embryonic stage of this journey, but I have collected some small, and large pieces to tinker with. I've soaked some pieces in bleach, and used my Dremel tool to wire brush and sand them. The transformation from something I would just step on, to a truly interesting piece of wood, has been remarkable. I plan on using baking soda and vinegar next, to attempt to bring out the hidden beauty. I've read that "teak oil" helps in this regard. Also, I plan to make small tables (maybe with glass tops) and small benches or chairs ( held together with "pegs") from some larger pieces. Any guidance or suggestions from you folks that have gone through this journey would be most appreciated. Cheers, Jim

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
This is an old one if you feel like playing around with different treatments.
Rub a deer antler on driftwood if you have one. It will make the driftwood smooth and kind of shiny, almost as if you varnished it.
I can't recall where we picked up that tip, but it was sometime back in the 60's and my pops did it on a number of pieces for stuff me made.
Much better on smaller pieces of course versus doing very large pieces.
SF

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
I've always appreciated the natural beauty of driftwood. Recently I've been reading about how to "process" it, and use it to decorate my new "beach vibe" home in Anacortes. The internet photos of lampshades, picture frames, artwork and furniture are truly inspiring. I'm still in the embryonic stage of this journey, but I have collected some small, and large pieces to tinker with. I've soaked some pieces in bleach, and used my Dremel tool to wire brush and sand them. The transformation from something I would just step on, to a truly interesting piece of wood, has been remarkable. I plan on using baking soda and vinegar next, to attempt to bring out the hidden beauty. I've read that "teak oil" helps in this regard. Also, I plan to make small tables (maybe with glass tops) and small benches or chairs ( held together with "pegs") from some larger pieces. Any guidance or suggestions from you folks that have gone through this journey would be most appreciated. Cheers, Jim
Hi Jim, when you’re done with your driftwood projects, please post photos
Hope you’re doing well!

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
I don't have any advice as I've never worked with driftwood, but I second the request for photos once you have some projects done!

andy

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Check this out, I've met Joe.

Last edited:
Here in Anacortes there are several very impressive sculptures of animals (around town) made from driftwood. That is far beyond my artistic talent. However, simple projects and tinkering with "processing" is something I can play with in my garage. I just got done applying teak oil to a small piece, that I had bleached, wire brushed and sanded. I'm amazed at what a couple coats of oil did. It seems that I am now forever destined to pay close attention to the drift wood I encounter. Thanks for all the input folks. Cheers, Jim

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
Jim I have been messing around with driftwood sculpting since Covid. Examples below. Some of my attempts are laughable, others turned into succulent planters. I am ok with them rotting to bits. Now in my yard I have a bunch of wood "getting the salt out" but haven't got big into bleaching and super fine detail stuff. i thought dremel carving would be easy, but it turned out it wasn't, at least for me. I do get a kick out of the going to the salt, taking a cool bird photo, thinking later how to sculpt it, checking on the wood, finding good gnarled up pieces, and then staring at the pieces in my driveway, like some catatonic madman, or neighborhood nutcake, silent for long periods without anything happening.

If you want to follow a master of it, there's a guy on Facebook called Tony Fredriksson from South Africa who does unbelievable sculptures
1669245665407.png

some stoop thrones + elevated planters to level some steps/created a more stable base for bigger potted plants on an unused staircase:
1669246038721.png
Succulent planter
1669246157850.png
Pterodactyl steals the sun
1669246220151.png

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Jim I have been messing around with driftwood sculpting since Covid. Examples below. Some of my attempts are laughable, others turned into succulent planters. I am ok with them rotting to bits. Now in my yard I have a bunch of wood "getting the salt out" but haven't got big into bleaching and super fine detail stuff. i thought dremel carving would be easy, but it turned out it wasn't, at least for me. I do get a kick out of the going to the salt, taking a cool bird photo, thinking later how to sculpt it, checking on the wood, finding good gnarled up pieces, and then staring at the pieces in my driveway, like some catatonic madman, or neighborhood nutcake, silent for long periods without anything happening.

If you want to follow a master of it, there's a guy on Facebook called Tony Fredriksson from South Africa who does unbelievable sculptures
View attachment 42261

some stoop thrones + elevated planters to level some steps/created a more stable base for bigger potted plants on an unused staircase:
View attachment 42264
Succulent planter
View attachment 42265
Pterodactyl steals the sun
View attachment 42267

Great work Boot!
SF

Thanks for all the input folks. I've been tinkering....I've boiled, bleached, baked, wire brushed and sanded the hell out of driftwood,.. Here's my take so far.. First and foremost the wood must be collected wisely. Interesting pieces that are "pulpy" have disappointed me. I like very hard, smooth wood... First, I wire brush vigorously.. Then I soak the wood in "Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda". This softens any "soft stuff". Wire brush again, and soak in bleach. After drying, comes the sanding. I like a "paddle sander" that goes on to my drill. Course, medium, smooth, then I finish with hand sanding down to very fine. Some wood is dull, white or grey, and can be disappointing . Other pieces are simply majestic. I'm still learning how to differentiate while collecting.

Once the wood has been "dried, fried and slicked to the side" it is time to "coat" it. Teak oil works. Resin looks spectacular, varnish looks OK,...But it appears that the preferred method is to mix bees wax with turpentine and smear it on the wood. Then use a "heat gun" to melt the coating into the driftwood.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I’ve thinking of doing stuff with driftwood as well. To date, the only thing I have been motivated enough to do and artistically capable of pulling off, is this simple tool caddy for my tying bench.

2B8D7D43-EAB2-4F0E-A4F2-442436B15331.jpeg

I was thinking of maybe doing some other easy stuff next. Like tying tools (bobbin threader or bodkin maybe?).

Apparently the "LuRon" method of turning driftwood into art is a "thing" that originated here in the PNW. Varnish and resin are strictly forbidden. Furthermore the "base" is very important. Much like a Bonsai is complemented by its (typically small) planter..... Meticulously cleaning and sanding is paramount. Today I decided to "burnish" a piece that I had cleaned and sanded..I was astonished!... Simply rubbing a smooth stone over the wood made it look like it was "varnished"....I then mixed equal parts of beeswax, boiled linseed oil and turpentine, melted together and then cooled. After rubbing this into the wood I used a heat gun to melt it into the wood. I mounted it on to an old board (my base) using dowel rods and Gorilla glue. They call this a "driftwood sculpture". I'm here to tell you folks.....this thing is awesome!...The color of the wood varies from white to red, is shiny as hell, and has that 3D look to it, like high dollar wood guitars. If you are looking for an outlet to your creativity (as I am) this hobby definitely delivers.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Apparently the "LuRon" method of turning driftwood into art is a "thing" that originated here in the PNW. Varnish and resin are strictly forbidden. Furthermore the "base" is very important. Much like a Bonsai is complemented by its (typically small) planter..... Meticulously cleaning and sanding is paramount. Today I decided to "burnish" a piece that I had cleaned and sanded..I was astonished!... Simply rubbing a smooth stone over the wood made it look like it was "varnished"....I then mixed equal parts of beeswax, boiled linseed oil and turpentine, melted together and then cooled. After rubbing this into the wood I used a heat gun to melt it into the wood. I mounted it on to an old board (my base) using dowel rods and Gorilla glue. They call this a "driftwood sculpture". I'm here to tell you folks.....this thing is awesome!...The color of the wood varies from white to red, is shiny as hell, and has that 3D look to it, like high dollar wood guitars. If you are looking for an outlet to your creativity (as I am) this hobby definitely delivers.
How about some pics? (please)

Buzzy...I'm still in the embryonic stage of this journey. To be honest, the photos online, that show what the "LuRon" method can produce would be far more valuable to you than my meager attempts so far. In fact, I purposefully kept one side of my "sculpture" in its "raw" form to showcase how a piece of wood that would normally just be stepped on, can be transformed into something..wonderful, that could become a family heirloom. When I pass the experimental stage, I'll post pics, and show you all what can be done with the wood we all step on.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I know someone who made a nice looking frame for a mirror. They hung it over the sink in the powder room. Then the bugs hatched...

The treatment you've described sounds like you are probably preventing that.

We've all seen driftwood used as picture frames, succulent planters, outdoor furniture, coat hangers, etc... However the LuRon method advances these "crafts" into an art form. It seems very much akin to my former hobby of Bonsai. The beauty of Bonsai is largely due to the effects of nature, that twists and distorts and shapes a plant into something of interest. The same can be said of driftwood. From a living plant on a cliff or stream bed, this wood is cast out into nature to endure the hardships of wind, waves and the ever relentless abrasiveness that Mother Nature has to offer. Revealing this beauty can be very rewarding.

Obviously the LuRon method of "driftwood sculpture" mimmics the Bonsai. The difference being, one is alive and the other is not. ....However, most bonsai enthusiasts also study the ancient art of "Suiseki" or "Japanese viewing stones" (definitely worth a google image search). Essentially, the artist takes an "ordinary" stone and pairs it with a base that results in a work of art. These Suiseki pieces can be quite beautiful and quite valuable. The parallels of the LuRon driftwood sculptures, and the art of Suiseki are quite remarkable.