Search results

1. I

Been doing more blastin' than castin'...

Been a banner year so far for big game. Shot my biggest buck to-date about 2 weeks ago in Idaho with one of my best buds, and then punched my MT tag on an absolute stomper of a timber buck during a break in the weather this past weekend. That was a solo mission that I'll be recovering from...
  2. I

Montana Stillwater...

I used to think fly fishing on a lake was whack. Scooped a sweet Craigslist kicker canoe and quickly realized fly fishing on a lake is actually not whack. Had the wife paddle me around all night while I stood up and sniped eaters at long range, sight fishing only. Very fun. Last thing I need...
  3. I

FS Sage and G Loomis rods

The MT single hand quiver is finally complete, so selling off a couple rods that didn't quite make the cut: First up is a Sage Pulse 376-4, sweet little creekin' stick. Fished 2x and could pass as factory new. Matching Cordura tube with dividers included. Next is a G. Loomis IMX Pro 486-4...
  4. I

Creekin'

I've been spending most of my evenings after work exploring the new backyard in NW Montana. Dozens of creeks/rivers you'll never read about in a magazine, and most of them overflowing with wild trout. I caught my first trout on a creek in Northern Wisconsin about 20 years ago, and to this day...
  5. I

Wanted Scandi Lines for Trout Spey

Looking for a couple scandi heads for a 3 and 5 weight trout spey, 210 and 300 SA Spey lite are preferred, but open to other comparable heads
  6. I

Reel Seat Oxidation Removal?

Scored a vintage Sage LL 279 a few weeks back and looking to get the reel seat shined up. It's not bad, just a bit dull from decades of sitting in a rod tube I guess. Anyone have a method for removing oxidation and polishing a metal reel seat?
  7. I

Clearwater River Rod Advice?

After the move to Montana, it's looking like I'll probably scratch the steelhead itch on the Clearwater system more often than making the trip back to WA. I've been reading about the utility of longer spey rods on the Clearwater, and am looking for some advice. The longest 2-hander I currently...
  8. I

St. Croix fly rods are back

As a Wisconsin fella, this is great news. I've found the lack of St. Croix notoriety out West crazy, given that top tier St. Croix gear rods like the legend elite are basically in a league of their own. Hope they can carve out a piece of the pie, and move away from the MOJO trout cabelas...
  9. I

Sage LL 279 line recommendations

Looking for some line recommendations for a new to me classic Sage LL 279. I'm back and forth between a RIO Trout LT or Wulff Triangle Taper, but open to suggestions. Rod will be used exclusively as a single dry fly rig.
  10. I

1st Spring in NW Montana recap.

We escaped from the People's Republic of WA in February of this year to the great state of Montana. My main concern was no longer living 15-60 minutes from my favorite West side "S" rivers. Despite the ever increasing likelihood of getting my windows smashed at the launch anytime I fished...