Creekin'

ianpadron

Steelhead
I've been spending most of my evenings after work exploring the new backyard in NW Montana. Dozens of creeks/rivers you'll never read about in a magazine, and most of them overflowing with wild trout.

I caught my first trout on a creek in Northern Wisconsin about 20 years ago, and to this day, creekin' is still my favorite form of fly fishing.

No coordinating a shuttle, or wondering what rods to bring, just load up the dogs, string up the 2 weight and go explore for a few hours.

Every fish puts a big bend in the rod and a bigger smile on my face, and reminds a fella how important it is to keep that boyhood level stoke alive and well.

Here are some photos from one of my new favorite places, lots of 8-10" brookies and rainbows, with the occasional hawgzilla (by creek standards) thrown in to keep things interesting. Last week I fished a golden stone hatch every single night that kicked off at 8:32 sharp.

Size 14 hi viz micro chub with a yellow/gold body was the not so secret sauce.

I have yet to see another angler and probably never will. Good shit.

20220716_195627.jpg20220716_204110.jpg20220714_205625.jpg20220714_201959.jpg

ianpadron

Steelhead
Creekin' continued...

been fishing a new spot now that my old go-to is too warm.

First few trips out lots of small fish but so much good water and deep holding pools I was determined to keep exploring and experimenting.

Got into some 12-13" fish the other day stripping buggers on my 1 wt and was pretty satisfied with the size of those fish until...

I took an entire day to hike into the farthest water on the system, and found some absolute bruisers.

Landed 6 legitimate 16-18" cutties, all on a purple high vis micro chub, with my 8'1" 1 wt. Sage SPL

Most epic day of fishing I've ever had, just straight up bonkers.

20220819_123854.jpg20220819_121658.jpg20220819_162140.jpg20220819_113936.jpg20220819_150349.jpg20220819_121802.jpg

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Creekin' continued...

been fishing a new spot now that my old go-to is too warm.

First few trips out lots of small fish but so much good water and deep holding pools I was determined to keep exploring and experimenting.

Got into some 12-13" fish the other day stripping buggers on my 1 wt and was pretty satisfied with the size of those fish until...

I took an entire day to hike into the farthest water on the system, and found some absolute bruisers.

Landed 6 legitimate 16-18" cutties, all on a purple high vis micro chub, with my 8'1" 1 wt. Sage SPL

Most epic day of fishing I've ever had, just straight up bonkers.

View attachment 28226View attachment 28227View attachment 28228View attachment 28229View attachment 28230View attachment 28221
Killer! And you were prepared for it with that big ol' net!

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I need to start bringing my Nomad net creekin' for scale. The bigger net was definitely necessary today, even used it as a crowbar to snap a branch that one of those lunkers wrapped himself around in a log jam 🤣
I just bought a Nomad net with gift certificates to my favorite fly shop from my children. Shop owners commented on how well trained my family is. :cool:

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Awesome photos and reports.

But I find myself envious that “small creek where you won’t see another person” fish can get those size. They’d be 6-8in here in western WA. If you found a 12in fish, you’d be bragging about it for weeks.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Awesome photos and reports.

But I find myself envious that “small creek where you won’t see another person” fish can get those size. They’d be 6-8in here in western WA. If you found a 12in fish, you’d be bragging about it for
Theres a trib up north we should wade sometime. I'll try and get eyes on it and see its condition. Once upon a time it held 16" cutts for 12 year old boys all summer until the fall rains blew it out.