Clearwater River Rod Advice?

ianpadron

Steelhead
After the move to Montana, it's looking like I'll probably scratch the steelhead itch on the Clearwater system more often than making the trip back to WA.

I've been reading about the utility of longer spey rods on the Clearwater, and am looking for some advice. The longest 2-hander I currently own is a 13 footer, and although I know it would be more than capable on any river I chose to fish it, I'm a gear junkie and like having specialized tools for specialized jobs.

So for those of you who have fished the Clearwater and other BIG river systems, any wisdom you can share regarding recommendations/do's/don'ts for a designated Clearwater rod? Thanks in advance!

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Since you're a gear junky you might as well get a Bruce & Walker 14 or 14 1/2' rod throwing something like a 700 grain long floating head. This is what my buddy uses. I think the head is around 65', and he can cast that sucker 120'. I would get exhausted just stripping all the shooting line every cast, so when I fish the Clearwater I stick with my CND Solstice 13' 4" 7 wt and call it good enough.

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
After calling the Red Shed I've got a 54' Gaelforce Equalizer headed my way for the 13' NRX already in the lineup, and a good idea of what used 15-16 footers to keep an eye out for. Thanks
Did you get the integrated line or the head only. I have the 54 as a head, and it came cut and looped long. Cut off all the orange runner, plus 12” of the green and loop there. Braided loops for #8 spey fit perfect. Others strip the coating and double surgeons a loop in the core.
351F24AB-BE0C-4A10-A80A-BEC505CD5A79.jpeg
Have fun! It is refining my casting, and has me fishing at distances I don’t consistently reach without it.

flybill

Life of the Party
I've used my 12'7" Buelah many times, but love my 14'3" CND Solstice. I also have an old 14' Sage VPS and a 15' Albright. I generally stick to the first two rods though. Just depends where I'm fishing. I need to get back out to the Clearwater, it's been a while for me...

ianpadron

Steelhead
Did you get the integrated line or the head only. I have the 54 as a head, and it came cut and looped long. Cut off all the orange runner, plus 12” of the green and loop there. Braided loops for #8 spey fit perfect. Others strip the coating and double surgeons a loop in the core.
View attachment 17421
Have fun! It is refining my casting, and has me fishing at distances I don’t consistently reach without it.
I didn't know there was a head only option, will see what shows up in the mail!

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Any intel on the practical difference between 8, 9, and 10 wt 15 footers? Casting distance, hook setting, etc?
All else being equal, a longer rod casting a heavier line should allow one to make longer casts. A long rod definitely handles a long belly line or head better than a shorter rod. I think that is a real advantage because, as I mentioned above, it's exhausting to have to strip in 50 or 60' of shooting line for every cast.

steelheardr99

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
It has been a while since i last fished the Clearwater i used to spend a few weeks up there every season and really enjoyed that river. I liked a 15' or 16' rod with a longer belly line 65'-70', Some of the runs higher upriver you can cover with a 13' rod and line like the one you have coming from RedShed but the longer rods really come in to their own on that river as there are some really big and wide runs. Lines i would recomend are Gaelforce, Boss Long, Bridge Mainstream, I personally think these are the premier longer belly/head lines right now. Out of these lines i prefer the GaelForce lines as you can buy them as full lines and i agree with Salmo g i do not like striping in 50'+ of running line and i am getting to old to change my ways but if you are happy using a running line the other two lines are also excellent.
Rod wts are a personal choice as Big Tua points out a 15' 8wt will work if you competent casting 100-120' with one, I look at grain windows now more than line wt when choosing two handers so i would look at rods 15-16' with a grain window of 600gns-850gns. As for rods their are so many great rod makers now we are spoiled for choice Loomis T&T Sage Bruce & Walker Meiser Burkheimer just to name a few, Good luck and enjoy the journey it is a great river.

ianpadron

Steelhead
It has been a while since i last fished the Clearwater i used to spend a few weeks up there every season and really enjoyed that river. I liked a 15' or 16' rod with a longer belly line 65'-70', Some of the runs higher upriver you can cover with a 13' rod and line like the one you have coming from RedShed but the longer rods really come in to their own on that river as there are some really big and wide runs. Lines i would recomend are Gaelforce, Boss Long, Bridge Mainstream, I personally think these are the premier longer belly/head lines right now. Out of these lines i prefer the GaelForce lines as you can buy them as full lines and i agree with Salmo g i do not like striping in 50'+ of running line and i am getting to old to change my ways but if you are happy using a running line the other two lines are also excellent.
Rod wts are a personal choice as Big Tua points out a 15' 8wt will work if you competent casting 100-120' with one, I look at grain windows now more than line wt when choosing two handers so i would look at rods 15-16' with a grain window of 600gns-850gns. As for rods their are so many great rod makers now we are spoiled for choice Loomis T&T Sage Bruce & Walker Meiser Burkheimer just to name a few, Good luck and enjoy the journey it is a great river.

Great information all around, thanks for taking the time to add your knowledge to this thread!