February tying contest thread-and January's winner is:

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Thank you to everyone that participated in an awesome January contest:
Now to the fun part🎉

The winner of our subsurface bass contest is... @Kfish and his sexy versions of the Murdich Minnow:
DSC04856.jpgDSC04814.jpg
Kfish has selected lake emerger. Time to get tying. Post your flies and discussion below!

If you didn't check out last months winner @James St. Clair article on his Congo Hair Sculpin I recommend giving that a view as well:

Thanks everyone. These have been a lot of fun! 🍻
Billy

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Both flies are designed to have the top and bottom part of the fly stick out of the water. When midges hatch, they stick their abdomens and their heads out of the water and their thorax bends down a bit while they split out. This phase is often when trout will target the flies, because this is when they are most vulnerable. I also tie these in chrome, because this is also when the midges are still gassed up.

66A8094F-A351-4BC4-A759-B3C649FF1A54.jpeg2EE873BD-917B-4AA8-B33A-0749AC695C6E.jpeg

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
Both flies are designed to have the top and bottom part of the fly stick out of the water. When midges hatch, they stick their abdomens and their heads out of the water and their thorax bends down a bit while they split out. This phase is often when trout will target the flies, because this is when they are most vulnerable. I also tie these in chrome, because this is also when the midges are still gassed up.
Why not use a swimming nymph hook for your top fly then, that should put the thorax down some?

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter

View attachment 52791View attachment 52790
That's cool Ira, going to have to copy that!

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Why not use a swimming nymph hook for your top fly then, that should put the thorax down some?

They don’t float well enough.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That's cool Ira, going to have to copy that!
I’ll tie a few more when I find my CDC. CDC works well, but it is harder to dry off after a fish takes the fly.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
So far I'm seeing chironomids as entries (?) into the lake emerger category, why not mayfly emergers? A few of you have no doubt fished some of the Kamloops area lakes and when lucky, have been there when mayflies have started emerging. One such lake, which may or may not bear my name, can be very frustrating when there's no emergence (probably because I'm doing something wrong) but when the mayflies start up, this lake can really turn on. My all time favorite patterns, depending on mayfly size, are:
IMG_2050.jpg

Callibaetis cripple - I believe this fly is supposed to imitate a mayfly that's stuck its shuck (I've been there too). I dress the forward hair and hackle only so the tail sinks.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
So far I'm seeing chironomids as entries (?) into the lake emerger category, why not mayfly emergers? A few of you have no doubt fished some of the Kamloops area lakes and when lucky, have been there when mayflies have started emerging. One such lake, which may or may not bear my name, can be very frustrating when there's no emergence (probably because I'm doing something wrong) but when the mayflies start up, this lake can really turn on. My all time favorite patterns, depending on mayfly size, are:
View attachment 52906

Callibaetis cripple - I believe this fly is supposed to imitate a mayfly that's stuck its shuck (I've been there too). I dress the forward hair and hackle only so the tail sinks.
Buzzy, I really love that bottom right one

tkww

Steelhead
The quigley cripple is a great pattern, and useful in moving water too. Mine usually end up vertical--wish I could get more of a 45° hang.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
View attachment 52906

That lake (in Kamloops): I really prefer the next one down the road...

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
The quigley cripple is a great pattern, and useful in moving water too. Mine usually end up vertical--wish I could get more of a 45° hang.
Klinkhammer style works for me for a less vertical hang.

Chucker

Steelhead
CDC emergers, a few different styles. 18s and 20s. First two are supposed to be chironomids, next two caddisflies, last one just a thing in the surface film. They all work. They also all work for one fish only, and then are useless as emergers until they dry out. I don’t use these very often, basically only if a parachute Adams is not getting it done and I really want to catch a fish. These particular flies have been in my box for close to 20 years!
BEA3BE25-A71E-4F67-AD86-2B10F882C5AD.jpeg368AD4D3-257A-42C7-90CD-4ED74840F365.jpegAD11A0B5-BA18-4D93-B4C6-AB0C593344FA.jpegEA6E23A5-3296-4793-967B-9D2EF77A3DF1.jpegE88B153B-7AAE-4FDB-BBD1-6DD4508A4988.jpeg

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
CDC emergers, a few different styles. 18s and 20s. First two are supposed to be chironomids, next two caddisflies, last one just a thing in the surface film. They all work. They also all work for one fish only, and then are useless as emergers until they dry out. I don’t use these very often, basically only if a parachute Adams is not getting it done and I really want to catch a fish. These particular flies have been in my box for close to 20 years!
View attachment 53187View attachment 53188View attachment 53189View attachment 53190View attachment 53191
So god damn buggy. but yeah, i agree. i hate fishing cdc flies because theyre a PIA after one fishing.