February tying contest thread-and January's winner is:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
And so would you argue that only the insect with the blue arrow pointing at it is an "emerger"? Does it become an emerger the instant it hits the surface film? Why not at some point along the green line?

Honestly, I don't care to debate this as it doesn't interest me that much. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer and so it could just go on forever.

Divad

Whitefish
@RCF but nobody calls for “emergence flies” so I think an Emerger is any nymph moving up the water column towards winged adult.

Not just those sitting right at or below surface film.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
To me "emerger" means the the time between when the nymph's exoskelton cracks open (or maybe a little before, when the exoskelton swells up with gas) to when the wings are dry and the bug flies away.
Which covers mayflies, but not diptera. Is any pupa an emerger? Only an ascending pupa? What if it stalls?

Oh wait, I am not interested in this. :)

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Which covers mayflies, but not diptera. Is any pupa an emerger? Only an ascending pupa? What if it stalls?

Oh wait, I am not interested in this. :)
It does too apply to Diptera. Now you in it boy!

For those nay sayers, you just too scared to tie the real stuff 😁

But to get things back on track, here is an order Diptera “emerger” tied with cdc. 74E050D1-588F-448B-A66E-B76AF5DBD132.jpeg

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter

But to get things back on track, here is an order Diptera “emerger” tied with cdc. View attachment 54797
How do you fish that Ira? Under indie?
To be honest I would not have much confidence in fishing that.. prove me wrong :)

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter

But to get things back on track, here is an order Diptera “emerger” tied with cdc.
Well, no actually, it doesn’t apply, since dipterans don’t exhibit a nymphal stage.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Well, no actually, it doesn’t apply, since dipterans don’t exhibit a nymphal stage.
They “emerge” though from a pupa after a larval stage.

You were merely arguing syntax versus the substance of the idea. So it does clearly apply to Diptera.

Nice to know that you don’t care though.

Last edited:

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
How do you fish that Ira? Under indie?
To be honest I would not have much confidence in fishing that.. prove me wrong :)

Not under an indie, but I have fished similar small patterns behind an indie in order to keep track of it.

This pattern as I said before does a great job of mimicking a chironomid “nymph” right as it starts to emerge on the surface. Midge pupa push both their heads and tails above the surface film in order to use that surface tension to split and hatch.

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
They “emerge” though from a pupa after a larval stage.
Yes. Correct.

You were merely arguing syntax versus the substance of the idea. So f I’m that, it does clearly apply to Diptera.
I think you are confusing syntax with diction. No comment about syntax I made.

Zak talked about winged adults emerging from the nymphal exoskeleton as being his definition of the emerger phase. Clearly that does not apply to dipterans for the reason stated previously: they have no nymphal stage. If one wanted, one could debate if an ascending, gaseous pupa is an emerger, or if it must be stuck in it near the surface film. This is the substance of the idea.
Nice to know that you don’t care though.
But yeah that debate doesn’t interest me.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
A couple different sizes and styles of unweighted pheasant tail chironomids. Another go-to during the hatch, particularly in the shallows. The larger versions are #12’s tied with a flash back and wing buds. The smaller ones are #14 with a simple dubbing thorax. These are great for casting to risers with a floating line or short intermediate tip.
1437007F-7091-4690-BDC8-DEA48FDA6A23.jpegCB9EC150-6BD0-44EA-8411-3247B7EFE6DC.jpeg

Last edited:

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nothing fancy and not going to win any contest, but this peacock and pheasant wet fly (emerger) has caught a lot of fish for me when fish are rising. I tie it in sizes 14 and 12. Instead of using a wire rib, I wrap the peacock around the tying thread and then onto the hook to improve durability.
023E056D-32DA-4DEF-B1A5-D82B5C4D3C13.jpeg

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Nothing fancy and not going to win any contest, but this peacock and pheasant wet fly (emerger) has caught a lot of fish for me when fish are rising. I tie it in sizes 14 and 12. Instead of using a wire rib, I wrap the peacock around the tying thread and then onto the hook to improve durability.
View attachment 54933
Mark - I tie the "same" fly but with partridge hackle and have called it the Skinny Minny - I'm not sure where I found that pattern and name (not mine). I've done well with it on a long leader fishing the film at Rocky Ford.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yes. Correct.

I think you are confusing syntax with diction. No comment about syntax I made.

Zak talked about winged adults emerging from the nymphal exoskeleton as being his definition of the emerger phase. Clearly that does not apply to dipterans for the reason stated previously: they have no nymphal stage. If one wanted, one could debate if an ascending, gaseous pupa is an emerger, or if it must be stuck in it near the surface film. This is the substance of the idea.

But yeah that debate doesn’t interest me.
Matt, a chironomid pupae is a nymph. There is the syntax issue.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Matt, a chironomid pupae is a nymph. There is the syntax issue.
First, I’m going to address “syntax,” which you can look up the definition for—it refers to the order and sequence of words, so I don’t see how syntax is relevant. Again, I think you must mean “diction,” which refers to word choice.

Second, if you are calling a pupa a nymph, I’m fine with that. I can see a pupa being a “nymph” in a colloquial sense, but I don’t think that is how taxonomists classify the different phases. That’s what I was saying. But I’m not a taxonomist. What say you, @Mark Melton and @Taxon : is a chironomid pupa a nymph?

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
First, I’m going to address “syntax,” which you can look up the definition for—it refers to the order and sequence of words, so I don’t see how syntax is relevant. Again, I think you must mean “diction,” which refers to word choice.

Second, if you are calling a pupa a nymph, I’m fine with that. I can see a pupa being a “nymph” in a colloquial sense, but I don’t think that is how taxonomists classify the different phases. That’s what I was saying. But I’m not a taxonomist. What say you, @Mark Melton and @Taxon : is a chironomid pupa a nymph?
I’m such an idiot, I didn’t mean syntax, I meant semantics. I do know the difference, but somehow syntax was stuck in my brain. Semantics are what you are arguing, colloquial or not. It’s like telling someone that you don’t have a Band-Aid to give them because all you have are adhesive strips not the actual brand. Or throwing a tomato into a fruit salad. Chironomid pupae are called nymphs.

The point ultimately is that in the drawing Diptera would work. I personally don’t understand why “emerger” is so hard to define though, unless as I said before people just want to make up an excuse to throw up a pattern that isn’t an emerger.

Zak

Legend
I’m such an idiot, I didn’t mean syntax, I meant semantics. I do know the difference, but somehow syntax was stuck in my brain. Semantics are what you are arguing, colloquial or not. It’s like telling someone that you don’t have a Band-Aid to give them because all you have are adhesive strips not the actual brand. Or throwing a tomato into a fruit salad. Chironomid pupae are called nymphs.

The point ultimately is that in the drawing Diptera would work. I personally don’t understand why “emerger” is so hard to define though, unless as I said before people just want to make up an excuse to throw up a pattern that isn’t an emerger.
Wait, a tomato isn't a fruit?