SFR Handy gadgets, tools, or other things you never want to be without

Sorta fishing-related

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm a big fan of the Wave. I've owned many over the years. My only issue with Leatherman is they don't hold up well in a saltwater environment and I've yet to figure out a way to prevent them from corroding and becoming super tough to use. As such I tend to just go through one a year. Expensive, but so friggen handy to have on a boat.
CRC 6-56 protects from salt really well...when I was running the salt, sprayed all my tools with it..as well as all cable linkage points, etc.

Attachments

• 1671577438657.png
    1671577438657.png
    714.4 KB · Views: 1

Otter

Steelhead
As a retired carpenter, I appreciate a favourite tool like that chisel. Then there are our lender tools, for people who don't know how to respect "things"! Question: what's the blue tape for? To quickly ID the size?
Btw, that bench looks like it has seen some work. Wish I still had my shop.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I'm a big fan of the Wave. I've owned many over the years. My only issue with Leatherman is they don't hold up well in a saltwater environment and I've yet to figure out a way to prevent them from corroding and becoming super tough to use. As such I tend to just go through one a year. Expensive, but so friggen handy to have on a boat.
They have a 25 year warranty. They replaced my 1st Gen Wave after close to 10 years for a scissor blade that broke while folding it up, no receipt, no questions asked with a Wave +.
Warranty covers rust? from an EDC Forum
Rusty Leatherman Charge
"I just contacted leatherman directly to ask about rust being covered under warranty. The customer service rep stated that TECHNICALLY it does not cover rust. She went on to say "However I have never heard of anyone sending their Leatherman in even for rust not being returned to factory condition." She also said that they recommend shipping it insured. I hope this helps."

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
Headlamps. I've had a Petzel Tikka that takes the 3AAAs since around 2010. But it's only 350 lumens.
I recently bought a small, rather inexpensive, waterproof 1500 lumen flashlight to carry in my little emergency pouch and found a headband for it.

flybill

Life of the Party
Headlamps. I've had a Petzel Tikka that takes the 3AAAs since around 2010. But it's only 350 lumens.
I recently bought a small, rather inexpensive, waterproof 1500 lumen flashlight to carry in my little emergency pouch and found a headband for it.
I can't find any of my headlamps.. have at least 2 or 3.. time to shop for another!!

Last edited:

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
I can't any of my headlamps.. have at least 2 or 3.. time to shop for another!!
Headlamps and pocket knives. I always lose them. I’ve had the same wallet for 25 years no lie, but I can’t seem to keep a good headlamp or pocket knife for more than a year or so. I might need to invent some kind of hat lanyard for my headlamps

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
being over 70, drinking 3 cups of coffee before heading out to drive: sometimes I need to take a leak
I'm not 70, and something like that is incredibly useful. I have a couple of these. Mainly for the boat, but also keep one for when I'm tent camping so I don't have to go through the hassle of leaving the tent.

1671627723846.png

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
I'm not 70, and something like that is incredibly useful. I have a couple of these. Mainly for the boat, but also keep one for when I'm tent camping so I don't have to go through the hassle of leaving the tent.

View attachment 45897
I had to use one of those in my hospital bed after hip replacement surgery.
Pro tip - Practice before you attempt to use it in your sleeping bag-tent.

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
I can't find any of my headlamps.. have at least 2 or 3.. time to shop for another!!
I keep the Tikka headlamp in a baseball-size zip-up Petzel protective case in the top zipper pocket of my Fishpond Tundra backpack that hangs on the wall in the garage. I use it around the house often. *After every use it always gets put back* into the Fishpond pack pocket.
The flashlight in the headband's elastic sleeve resides in the small emergency gear pouch I carry in my main fishing sling pack and *it always...*
Headlamps and pocket knives. I always lose them. I’ve had the same wallet for 25 years no lie, but I can’t seem to keep a good headlamp or pocket knife for more than a year or so. I might need to invent some kind of hat lanyard for my headlamps
I have the Swiss Army Tinker I bought in the early 1970s when I started climbing on an OD Green paracord lanyard, and treated myself to a Swiss Army Climber when I started backpacking again around 2013 with a lanyard of 4mm blue reflective Niteline hammock ridge cord. *When in use, the lanyard is always attached to my belt. They always get put back into a side zipper pocket of my Harding fishing duffel after every use*.

*ADD life lessons*

Last edited:

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
found that braiding a piece of paracord onto knives = less free range walks.
Also find they stay around longer if removed from pockets and into the knife bin at end of day.

Attachments

• IMG_20221221_124113891_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221221_124113891_HDR.jpg
    600.6 KB · Views: 12