A monthly themed "contest"

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Nice! How's the hook up ratio with that VS conventional hook? Any differences?
It doesn't seem to affect the hookup rate, but I definitely connect with less seaweed and shit. And, when tied with natural materials like nayat, the natural fibers don't foul as much as synthetic and the fly stays even cleaner.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I don't think I've ever been accused of tying flies that are necessarily beautiful to the eye. This is really no exception but it's far more specific than most streamers I tie. The funny thing is that I would fish that big headed white thing I posted earlier in this thread with far more confidence because I know that it's going to give me exactly the action in the water I'm after. This one? I have no idea. It may or may not move erratically like a dying minnow. I guess I could just swing it if nothing else 😆.
PXL_20221106_040559039.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
1667712702849.jpeg
Here’s a pattern I came up with years ago to imitate the red sided shiners for a trip to Ross Lake. It worked pretty good just deep trolled on a sinking line.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Unnamed-Minnow-800.jpg

G_Smolt

Legend
If this seems like a subject near and dear to me...that's because it is. I spend the majority of my guiding days having guests fish for big fish with things that look like little fish.
From April to late June, this is the fly most often found on the end of my guests' flystring -
20221106_102603-02.jpeg

Mark's Fryolator, sz8. This one is chum-flavored (gold flash on the belly), but they also crush in light grey/silver (humpy flavor) and white (little fish flavor).
Originally tied for Anadromous Dolly Varden in saltwater at the start of the season, I've used them dead-drifting and swinging with much success as well. All varieties of salmonid have succumbed to them in the last few years, and I even got a credible report of folks crushing rainbows and lake trout while using them as ultralight ice fishing jigs!

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Myakka Minnows have become a staple in my saltwater box. Created by Sarasota guide Steve Gibson (Gibby) as a freshwater solution for panfish in Sarasota area lakes, the Myakka Minnow has been widely adapted to many target species in both fresh and saltwater. Steve was an excellent guide, especially for beach snook. Fishing with him was a joy as he was a former USAF vet. Steve passed away this Spring in Sarasota.

Freshwater Myakka minnows typically have a clipped marabou tail.
54318D8B-4EDD-4457-A31F-4446E553CA8D.jpeg
C6385D5B-FFC6-4CF5-AA71-A190ADBEE224.jpeg
Saltwater versions typically display full length tails.
F792EE2E-C669-497A-88EF-0DBCBA1D1077.jpeg74695832-4F71-4A36-AB46-7F986F9FF291.jpeg093559B4-1B29-4238-A71F-46AC7D5AB905.jpegCC917158-6462-457D-9D4D-BC854D67D510.jpeg

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Myakka Minnows have become a staple in my saltwater box. Created by Sarasota guide Steve Gibson (Gibby) as a freshwater solution for panfish in Sarasota area lakes, the Myakka Minnow has been widely adapted to many target species in both fresh and saltwater. Steve was an excellent guide, especially for beach snook. Fishing with him was a joy as he was a former USAF vet. Steve passed away this Spring in Sarasota.

Freshwater Myakka minnows typically have a clipped marabou tail.
View attachment 40305
View attachment 40311
Saltwater versions typically display full length tails.
View attachment 40306View attachment 40307View attachment 40308View attachment 40309
Really diggin' the look of the over-sized eyes there...I'm guessing it gives predators a nice big target since they're typically headhunters.