A monthly themed "contest"

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
I thought this might be a fun idea to get the creative juices flowing this winter.

Each month there will be a themed tying "contest" where individuals are not only encouraged to post pictures of their flies but also discuss tying/fishing techniques, post videos etc for the theme of the month.

At the end of the month the person who wins and is selected gets to pick the next month's theme and then selects the winner at the end of that month and so on. Ideas for themes are chironomids, hoppers, micro leeches, poppers, tuna flies etc. I think you get the point😁

For this month's contest the theme is smallish baitfish. These should come in less then 3 inches overall. Our very first judge is the one and only @troutpocket. He has a slick little baitfish pattern I can personally attest to! 1451C316-51C5-4AFE-8878-981C9E43DEF9.jpeg.jpg
Let's get tying! Feel free to post your entries and any discussion below!
Billy🍻

Last edited:

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Is there any limit to the number of different patterns people can submit per month?

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Can we submit a fly that's already been posted in the what's in your vise thread? Or new blood. I'm kinda thinking new, so it's not a bunch of reposts but I tied a Hornberg a while back that would fit here perfectly.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Can we submit a fly that's already been posted in the what's in your vise thread? Or new blood. I'm kinda thinking new, so it's not a bunch of reposts but I tied a Hornberg a while back that would fit here perfectly.
For the "contest" it should be tied this month. Just using the honor system here. But you are welcome to post past flies for discussion purposes just designate them as such👍

My goal with this is less about the contest and more about helping people grow as tyers and to get some good discussion going🍺

G_Smolt

Legend
My "Doppelgänger", in universal minnow color.
20221103_131755.jpg

Like most of my flies, it's more a platform than a pattern. Meant to be scalable and mutable in terms of color/flash.
I've fished it in a ton of settings where big fish eat little fish, from Bristol Bay rainbows to Everglades snook and tarpon, and it has always produced.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Mylar-Minnow-1080.jpg

Mylar minnow

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
This super easy to tie sculpin pattern has accounted for a lot of nice searun cutts. I do a number of different material belly treatments on them while changing up the bunny color. The belly on this one is size small palmer chenille.
SF

D226C9FB-5C68-4CC9-9D1B-629FC6129DFE.jpeg

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
This super easy to tie sculpin pattern has accounted for a lot of nice searun cutts. I do a number of different material belly treatments on them while changing up the bunny color. The belly on this one is size small palmer chenille.
SF

View attachment 39776
Very nice. I’ve been toying with a similar idea for a small rabbit strip fly that my buddy and I found in a Kodiak fly shop that worked well for silvers there. But I want to alter it to ride hook point up. Do you poke the hook point through the rabbit hide? That’s what I was going to try. I was also going to try a jig style hook with a tungsten bead in lieu of dumbell eyes.

Andy

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Very nice. I’ve been toying with a similar idea for a small rabbit strip fly that my buddy and I found in a Kodiak fly shop that worked well for silvers there. But I want to alter it to ride hook point up. Do you poke the hook point through the rabbit hide? That’s what I was going to try. I was also going to try a jig style hook with a tungsten bead in lieu of dumbell eyes.

Andy

Andy,
Yes, I’m poking the hook through the rabbit strip. A jig hook with a tungsten bead would give you a good jiggy action.
SF

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
My "Doppelgänger", in universal minnow color.
View attachment 39727

Like most of my flies, it's more a platform than a pattern. Meant to be scalable and mutable in terms of color/flash.
I've fished it in a ton of settings where big fish eat little fish, from Bristol Bay rainbows to Everglades snook and tarpon, and it has always produced.
Nice. Is it bucktail?

G_Smolt

Legend
Nice. Is it bucktail?

Nah, not a damn thing natural about this fly. Body is diamond braid with UV resin, "wing" is EP "sculpt-a-fly" in minnow belly and sculpin.

Hook is a Umpqua xs415 bn5x "backcountry" sz 2, and is my new go-to hook for salmonids. Long point relief before the bend, good upward cant to the point, and a short relief between eye and point make this one of the most "sticky" hooks I've used, even when the barbs are COMPLETELY crushed. It sticks like a mofo in those big, hot-af 28" spring rainbows in Bbay, and if it sticks in them, it will stick in any other fish that swims.