What's in your vise?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
This has become a go to dropper for hopper/dropper rigs. Stupid quick to tie and fish eat em. It’s basically a rainbow warrior/perdigon tied on a size 18 firehole 633 with a 2.3mm silver bead. It gets down quick but a stimmy/anything with foam can still hold it up, 🤷‍♂️

6BEF1B9E-37F5-47FF-88C6-CA4BA28729A7.jpeg

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
As usual, no two are the same!

I struggle with this concept (personally). Because it's inevitable that the only fly that worked for me that day is currently snagged up in the tree.
The counter is, I have dozens of the same patterns that haven't caught any fish and I have zero confidence in but I was afraid to be caught flat footed with only 1 fly so i decided to tie a dozen 🤷‍♂️ .

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Is that estaz or chenille trimmed short Brian?

Lou,
The body is size small pearl grey palmer chenille palmered over pearl ice dub.
SF

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I struggle with this concept (personally). Because it's inevitable that the only fly that worked for me that day is currently snagged up in the tree.
The counter is, I have dozens of the same patterns that haven't caught any fish and I have zero confidence in but I was afraid to be caught flat footed with only 1 fly so i decided to tie a dozen 🤷‍♂️ .
I've tried and failed to tie perfect reproductions of each pattern every time. Luckily, I've found through experience that fish will still hammer totally shredded flies that are missing eyes, hackle, or even hook tips (oops) so I've gotten less finicky at the vise. I still want them to look decent but I really don't think the fish care all that much.

The last couple weeks of solid action also taught me that color and retrieve style seemed to be more important than pattern. For instance, there were days that I threw everything at them and nothing but when I switched to the magic color it was on! Then I'd lose that first fly and have no direct replacement, but as long as I stayed with roughly the same color/size/retrieve I was good.

But that was the last couple weeks. Who knows what tomorrow's fish are going to want!?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've tried and failed to tie perfect reproductions of each pattern every time. Luckily, I've found through experience that fish will still hammer totally shredded flies that are missing eyes, hackle, or even hook tips (oops) so I've gotten less finicky at the vise. I still want them to look decent but I really don't think the fish care all that much.

The last couple weeks of solid action also taught me that color and retrieve style seemed to be more important than pattern. For instance, there were days that I threw everything at them and nothing but when I switched to the magic color it was on! Then I'd lose that first fly and have no direct replacement, but as long as I stayed with roughly the same color/size/retrieve I was good.

But that was the last couple weeks. Who knows what tomorrow's fish are going to want!?

I totally understand this in my head. But for me, it’s still a confidence thing. Or should I say, lack of confidence. But then again, I do a lot of fishing on a finicky spring creek.

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I totally understand this in my head. But for me, it’s still a confidence thing. Or should I say, lack of confidence. But then again, I do a lot of fishing on a finicky spring creek.
This philosophy works for me on my local creek too! I literally fished the legs off the same Chubby Chernobyl all summer long, and my dropper nymph was down to thread and bead head before I lost it.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Green-Drake-Dry-1080.jpg

Green Drake Dry

Hook - Mustad 9671 or equivalent, size 10

Thread - Yellow

Tail - Moose mane/body hairs

Over body - Brown or natural deer hair

Ribbing - Brown thread or uni stretch

Abdomen - Light yellow or olive poly dubbing

Legs - Sili-legs, speckled

Wing - Dark or Yellow deer hair

flyillusions.com| Green Drake Dry Fly

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Soft Hackle Streamer Variations

Prepping for a 3-week trip to Tampa in Nov/Dec and a lot of days chasing specks, ladyfish, pompano, jacks and mackerel, I’ve been stocking up on all manner of saltwater patterns. Despite heavy tippets on the sink tip, a lot of flies get damaged or lost with these toothy fish. Since I don’t tie while away from home, having a lot of backup flies is the norm.

This summer the Soft Hackle streamer did yeoman’s work on SW Montana trout streams for me, so it's going to the salt this year. The basic fly is so easy and quick to tie, I felt compelled to tie up a few variations on the basic pattern for inshore Saltwater targets.

#1 - Add a tail. Any sort of synthetic or natural fiber/feather can be used to add length and movement to a soft hackle streamer. Craft fur, Finn Raccoon, zonked Pine Squirrel or hackles tied Deceiver style all blend well with the basic pattern.
soft hackle streamer.jpeg
soft hackle streamer 1.jpeg
Nothing catches fish like Fire Tiger
soft hackle streamer 4.jpeg
Maybe a Pinfish

#2 - Use contrasting clumps of Marabou tied on the top and bottom of the hook instead winding a single Marabou feather.
soft hackle streamer 5.jpeg
A good Finger Mullet imitation!
#3 - Use red zonked Pine Squirrel to create bloody gills just behind the Mallard flank at the head of the fly.
soft hackle streamer 3.jpeg
All three variations in one--Deceiver tail, Bi-colored Marabou and Red Pine Squirrel gills.

Scottp

Legend
Claret & Olive Barn Owl Muddler

52453842723_ce0c7115c9_c.jpg

52452810917_b9885815d6_c.jpg

52453772750_7eb2322252_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 fire orange
tag - Orvis Saltwater thread fluoro orange/resin
rib - same as tag (doubled)
body - Ice Dub claret
body hackle - claret (1 Tbs Rit Wine/1 cup water)
shoulder - pheasant rump dyed olive
collar/head - deer hair dyed olive

Regards,
Scott

Last edited:

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Frank-Smith-Special-1080.jpg

Frank Smith Special

Hook - Mustad 9575, size 6-12

Thread - Black

Body - Flat silver tinsel

Throat - White bucktail or calf tail

Wing - Natural brown calf tail over orange calf tail

The Book of Fly Patterns: Over 1,000 Patterns for the Construction of Artificial Flies – Eric Leiser

EmergingFisher

Life of the Party
This has become a go to dropper for hopper/dropper rigs. Stupid quick to tie and fish eat em. It’s basically a rainbow warrior/perdigon tied on a size 18 firehole 633 with a 2.3mm silver bead. It gets down quick but a stimmy/anything with foam can still hold it up, 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 38047
100% agree - these are money for some reason the little bling under the hopper gets attention

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
20221025_112433.jpg
A sparkly orange October caddis skater for coastal Cutts and a Thompson river caddis because of all this talk of dry fly steelhead.

Haven't tied for months, the moose was frustrating to work with. Having the right tools, and quality tools/materials helps a lot.
I tried to do the moose in a dubbing loop and I don't have a dubbing loop spinner, or a hair clip. Any recommendations? Also what threads (brand and size) does everyone use for spinning hair. I have ultra thread in 70 and 140 and broke both multiple times. Time to start investing in the correct stuff.
Also a dedicated tying space would be nice.
20221025_112101.jpg

Zak

Legend
View attachment 38102
A sparkly orange October caddis skater for coastal Cutts and a Thompson river caddis because of all this talk of dry fly steelhead.

Haven't tied for months, the moose was frustrating to work with. Having the right tools, and quality tools/materials helps a lot.
I tried to do the moose in a dubbing loop and I don't have a dubbing loop spinner, or a hair clip. Any recommendations? Also what threads (brand and size) does everyone use for spinning hair. I have ultra thread in 70 and 140 and broke both multiple times. Time to start investing in the correct stuff.
Also a dedicated tying space would be nice.
View attachment 38103
I like this for a dubbing spinner:

I use Veevus 8/0 for muddler heads.

Scottp

Legend
I tried to do the moose in a dubbing loop and I don't have a dubbing loop spinner, or a hair clip. Any recommendations? Also what threads (brand and size) does everyone use for spinning hair. I have ultra thread in 70 and 140 and broke both multiple times.
For small muddlers, Uni 8/0 works fine (Veevus & SemperFli, too, although the SemperFli is a bit flossy for my taste); for larger ones, I usually use Uni 6/0 and UTC 140 (if you’re popping UTC 140, check your bobbin for a nick or burr). I use a Petitjean hair clip and a dubbing loop spinner I made from a baby formula mixer.

Regards,
Scott

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Ted-s-Yesterday-1080.jpg

Ted's Yesterday

Originated by Ted Gerken of Iliamna, Alaska

Hook - Mustad 36890, 9575, size 3/0 to 6

Thread - Black

Tail - Red hackle fibers

Ribbing - Flat silver tinsel

Body - White wool

Throat - Red calf tail

Wing - White calf tail fibers (to bend), over which two badger saddle hackles

The Book of Fly Patterns: Over 1,000 Patterns for the Construction of Artificial Flies - Eric Leiser

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
For small muddlers, Uni 8/0 works fine (Veevus & SemperFli, too, although the SemperFli is a bit flossy for my taste); for larger ones, I usually use Uni 6/0 and UTC 140 (if you’re popping UTC 140, check your bobbin for a nick or burr). I use a Petitjean hair clip and a dubbing loop spinner I made from a baby formula mixer.

Regards,
Scott
Thanks, I saw your SBS on the Thompson River caddis popped up on an internet search for the pattern.

I actually have a nice ceramic tip bobbin, but I'll check it.