2022 Garden Thread

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Anyone grow kohlrabi?
I hadn’t ever eaten it before, but had some that my girlfriend grew while back visiting her recently.
Pretty darn good. She made a mean coleslaw with some.
I may grow some next year.
SF

Last edited:

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Yup
We grow it as an early crop, and a late crop.
Grows fast, does ok in less than great soil, but needs water it seems.
This year we are doing it as a fall crop, so will set out plants a couple of months before frost.
Likes it cool, so best early or late.

Mossback

Forum Supporter
Another note...
Because it takes 45-60 days, its a real easy grow. Harvest when small, it doesn get better when it gets big, about 3" bulbs is good, no bigger than 4".
Should do fine in a container.
We eat it raw, sliced onto sticks and dip it in whatever along with carrots and other veg while we watch football...

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Another note...
Because it takes 45-60 days, its a real easy grow. Harvest when small, it doesn get better when it gets big, about 3" bulbs is good, no bigger than 4".
Should do fine in a container.
We eat it raw, sliced onto sticks and dip it in whatever along with carrots and other veg while we watch football...
Never been a fan. But i have grown it back in the early 80’s when i was trying everything…Hamburg Parsley(parsley root) top setting garlic and onions, cipolini, black raddishes , fava beans etc many i still grow, some things i just dropped. The days of a large garden are past. My experimentation is on a smaller scale. I used to grow celtuce( Chinese stem lettuce) and a alot of mustard greens

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
I’ve grown several varieties in the fall. Grew this one last year with good success. They get pretty big though and take up a fair amount of bed space but I really enjoyed watching them grow. Stores well too.

1656725067403.jpeg

In the center from a harvest late last year.

Mossback

Forum Supporter
I've never grown the giant types, but that one looks worth trying.
Baker Creek seeds never disappoint.
Think I will order some and try it a few of our really big containers. They are 24" across, so hopefully it will be large enough.
Thanks for the link.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’ve grown several varieties in the fall. Grew this one last year with good success. They get pretty big though and take up a fair amount of bed space but I really enjoyed watching them grow. Stores well too.

View attachment 20787

In the center from a harvest late last year.
Parsnips and salisfy cool! You might like to play with masua or oca

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
What variety of onions? They look good

I honestly don't remember.
I've been awful at keeping a gardening notebook.
Part of it is when I grow stuff from seed I remember but if they're starts, I'll never remember. These were starts.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Cultivariable.com

This site has been sold out of oca yakon and Peruvian potatoes and other tubers since ordering in March. Shipping in June and July… i checked his status . Seems a one man small operation but cool. One has to check often in late winter to get an order in

Last edited:
Got some from a neighbor many years ago and got lucky my first year with a good crop. At the time I did not know they only start growing tubers til after the Fall equinox and so altered my growing procedure to give me a bigger harvest. I grow them in pots outdoors through the summer and then move the pots into my small greenhouse to let them grow as long as they can. A bit of work to get them, but they are quite unique and tasty in flavor. Nichols nursery has tubers for sale, but kinda pricey.