What's in your vise?

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Slowly getting the hang of some leeches. The dubbing loops and wraps are coming along a little better but I think I’m still heavy on the amount of material I’m using in the wraps.

No rhyme or reason to the colors at this point. Just playing around. Size 8 Hook and Arizona Semi Seal. Tungsten 5/32 beads.

Also did a big 1/8 oz jig for spinning gear. We’ll see if it fishes?

Just starting out so comments/critiques welcome.

Attachments

• 998DBC0D-8952-4340-8B85-32A5CF171E6F.jpeg
    998DBC0D-8952-4340-8B85-32A5CF171E6F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20

Jack Devlin

Life of the Party
That is a cool idea for a fly. (y)

And in the winter time, ya don't have to keep it in your mouth to keep them alive.....or so I've been told a brother in law did back in the day:sick:
Right. We used maggots for ice fishing. I preferred to keep them in plastic sandwich bag in my shirt pocket.

Reactions: M_D

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Thank you sir!
Most of my understanding of streamer tying comes from Gunner Brammer, and Kelly G. I don’t think I can predict (understand) swim/movement as you can. Any others? I want the Popavic book.
Get that book. It's incredibly enlightening with regards to fly design. I absolutely love utilizing mostly natural materials so it's kinda right up my alley. I think Gunnar has the best "how to" videos and walking you through his thought process, but Popovics book is second to none.

Scottp

Legend
Peachy Stimulator Variant

52123899285_364a52270a_c.jpg

52123928425_965c0281e0_c.jpg

52123899215_aa94c43468_c.jpg

52123899185_91d48d0dc2_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 3 #8
thread - Uni 8/0 fire orange
tag - Orvis saltwater fluoro orange/resin
tail - deer hair
rib - x small wire gold
abdomen - dubbing neon peach (2 Tsp Rit Neon Yellow, 1/8 Tsp Rit Coral/2 cups water)
body hackle - sunburst (1 Tbs Rit Golden Yellow/1 cup water)
underwing - Congo Hair shiner tan
wing - deer hair
thorax - Ice Dub hot orange
hackle - grizzly dyed neon peach

Regards,
Scott

SpeyrodGB

Steelhead
Get that book. It's incredibly enlightening with regards to fly design. I absolutely love utilizing mostly natural materials so it's kinda right up my alley. I think Gunnar has the best "how to" videos and walking you through his thought process, but Popovics book is second to none.
It’s an awesome book!

Jack Devlin

Life of the Party
Slowly getting the hang of some leeches. The dubbing loops and wraps are coming along a little better but I think I’m still heavy on the amount of material I’m using in the wraps.

No rhyme or reason to the colors at this point. Just playing around. Size 8 Hook and Arizona Semi Seal. Tungsten 5/32 beads.

Also did a big 1/8 oz jig for spinning gear. We’ll see if it fishes?

Just starting out so comments/critiques welcome.
I like the Simi Seal Leech material and I have found that tying it just as John Rohmer does works best ie without using a dubbing loop. Great material.