Cold weather coming this week, get those hose bibs covered...

Escaped the shacknasties today and walked a few miles around the neighborhood. It was nice to get a little sunshine on my face.

I stopped by the Munn lake boat launch. No fish jumping or waterfowl swimming today!

1705286723882.png

When I saw that the lake was frozen completely over, my ten-year-old self emerged and started skipping rocks. They made a pretty cool sound as they skittered across the surface. The ice was fairly thin and a tennis ball sized rock on a ballistic trajectory punched right through.

What can I say, I'm immature for my age...

I had a moment of panic yesterday when, after playing at the park for an hour and a half with my kids, I took them to 5 Guys for lunch. I was filling cups of water and my lightly asthmatic kid starting saying her throat closed up and she couldn’t breathe. I had forgotten all about that reaction to the huge temperature change thing and I was caught with no inhaler and no car (we had walked)! Thankfully, after sitting and sipping some water it passed quickly. Phew! Nothing like watching your kid get all red faced and not be able to breathe and feeling helpless as a parent. That temperature change reaction is a real thing!
That sounds scary! I'm glad your kiddo felt better quickly. Breathing cold air like we've been having gives my wife a sinus headache and will cause me to feel chilled quickly. Carrying and putting one of the cloth face masks my wife made for Covid can help a lot for those problems.

More on the hummingbird feeders. Last night I turned the aluminum lamp fixture heaters' lights off and brought the feeders in for the night because the temp forecast was 10° for the early AM. I left the heaters turned off and hanging from the feeder hooks by the bungies. This morning before I put the feeders out, the second time I looked out the window as I sat down for breakfast one of the females was laying against the side of the fixture just outside the sliding door. Its tongue was stuck fast! It must have been attracted to the unlit red light bulb visible through the bottom air vents in the lamp fixture. It was breathing but looked scared; I know I would be!
1705291303970.png
I turned on the fixture light and went back inside intending to get something to dispense some drops of warm water. But by the time I turned around to look out the window again the aluminum had warmed up enough that it was able to free itself. The bird had flown to perch-rest on the other heater's power cord at the other end of the deck. I put the feeder back up, remounted the heater to it, and went inside for the other feeder. It was feeding by the time I had closed the sliding door.

So (@longputt ) tonight I turned off the heaters, and pulled the feeders again. But this time I decided not to hang the fixtures from the hooks under the eves and turn on the heater lamps because I don't want to chance them burning their tongues if the bulbs are too hot. So I put the heaters into plastic grocery bags and hung the bags from the hooks under the eves!

This reminded me of back in the day...
I had done some vertical glacier ice "bouldering" on the lower Nisqually *icefall* glacier and the lower Kautz ice *cliff* chute on a summit climb but never water ice. There are climbers that find this unusual cold-cold weather is awesome for the perfect conditions to hastily take vacation-call in sick to visit local areas like Snoqualmie Pass, Tatoosh Ridge just south from Paradise, etc... Imagine being out in this weather doing this at Snoqualmie Pass
1705330355807.png
Not me!

*looking at photos brushed away some memory cobwebs*

Last edited:
That sounds scary! I'm glad your kiddo felt better quickly. Breathing cold air like we've been having gives my wife a sinus headache and will cause me to feel chilled quickly. Carrying and putting one of the cloth face masks my wife made for Covid can help a lot for those problems.
We find having a humidifer going 24/7 in the main room of our house vital during low humidity snow monthes. Dry sinuses = sinus pain and increased risk of both viral and bacterial infections (there are benefits to being married to a nurse with a masters in public health) .
1705334396178.png

The volleyball tournament was canceled Sunday morning. We thought about waiting until Monday to return home thinking the roads would clear up. First the power went out and then several huge branches fell on the Airbnb house.
We left Springfield Or. Auburn bound at 1pm. I-5 was a sheet of ice until we reached MP 214 south of Salem. Arrived home at 7:30pm only to find our water line was frozen. took me about 90 minutes to defrost the line and thankfully no damage.
Picture of the Airbnb tree pruning.

1705337727970.png
1705337791495.png

1705337863388.png

This reminded me of back in the day...
I had done some vertical glacier ice "bouldering" on the lower Nisqually *icefall* glacier and the lower Kautz ice *cliff* chute on a summit climb but never water ice. There are climbers that find this unusual cold-cold weather is awesome for the perfect conditions to hastily take vacation-call in sick to visit local areas like Snoqualmie Pass, Tatoosh Ridge just south from Paradise, etc... Imagine being out in this weather doing this at Snoqualmie Pass
View attachment 99619
Not me!

*looking at photos brushed away some memory cobwebs*

I used to work with a couple guys who climbed many of the different routes to the summit.
Think one of them was injured on Kautz and had to be airlifted.
I seem to recall that was one of the more dangerous routes to the summit.

Good news: The nightlight heater system I found one the internet seems to have done the job for our spigot.

Bad news: NWS now pitching up to 5" of snow and freezing rain Tues-Wed in my area. Freezing rain might be the only cold weather thing I dislike more than single digit temps.

Back