Backyard Wildlife

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Went to put my camera back in the safe and spotted this guy aerating my lawn.Lawn Wrecker.JPG

Jim F.

Might need to blur out the nipples?
I was impressed & pleased with the detail in this shot - looks like 2 fleas/identical pieces of debris on her torso.

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
I have a small band of does that wander by my home-office window several times a day. The band consists of a doe and her twin offspring from last summer and a second doe. Some times they are extremely skittish as they walk by and other times, they are very relaxed (as you can see here).
TheDoes7368.jpg
Steve

Jim F.

Got low-holed by another photographer this afternoon, lol. Never had that happen before. Came home and sat in the yard watching the Raptor tree, but this Collered Dove was the only visitor. I graciously accepted the opportunity. Sony eye focus works pretty good. That Cottonwood looks like it's ready to bud. Strange winter so far.
Collered Dove.JPG

Last edited:

Jim F.

True but a few Collereds stay around thru the winter. They must be a tad hardier or have adapted to town living.

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
During the fall and winter months, our local elk herd occasionally wanders through the neighborhood - our goofy springer is always intrigued.

View attachment 96238

View attachment 96239
Our springer doesn’t even lift his head up for deer (no elk here…yet, but nearby). Quail are another story. He goes nuts.
You used to work at ca dfw, correct? I work for a land trust based out of truckee, and a few of our lands between Sierra valley and town have elk now. It is thought that they are dispersed from the Warner mtns herd

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Our springer doesn’t even lift his head up for deer (no elk here…yet, but nearby). Quail are another story. He goes nuts.
You used to work at ca dfw, correct? I work for a land trust based out of truckee, and a few of our lands between Sierra valley and town have elk now. It is thought that they are dispersed from the Warner mtns herd
Our’s is birdy as well. She never had elk in California (only deer) so I think she’s impressed with their size ha ha.

Which land trust? You guys all do such fabulous work! Yes 35 years with the outfit. My territory at the end of my career was the three north coast counties and Siskiyou. Elk have definitely been on the upswing.

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I am in the other side of norcal- I work at the Truckee Donner Land Trust. Our backyard wildlife megafauna picked up on the game cameras are mulies and bear. Although lately the Beckworth wolf pack has been showing up in the area so maybe we will see them soon.
Love me the coast though. It is time for a trip soon!!
Ps these two bears didn’t even get George the wonder springer out of his bed.E63676F2-DF7F-4275-A259-02694BBE1521.jpeg49166E07-669C-4650-A5A8-4E466774A76E.jpeg

Last edited:

Jim F.

I was digging through some old files and found this from several years ago. I must have fired-off a dozen or more bursts before I finally caught this Sweat Bee. When they emerge from their burrow, you get a very brief glimpse of iridescent green and then zip - they're gone in a flash.
Ground Bee edit.jpg

Jim F.

Flicker doing what Flickers do . . .

Flicker177.JPGFlicker181.JPGFlicker174.JPGFlicker164.JPG