Bread Thread

mark wlker

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
In need of a good gluten free bread recipe.
My better half's attempts always turn out something that can cut bowling balls!:(

flybill

Life of the Party
Any favorite whole wheat flour loaves? Percentage, if you don't go 100% whole wheat. Starting a new loaf now, first rise taking place. Will cook tomorrow morning or maybe let it ferment in the fridge until Tuesday.. game time decision!

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
In need of a good gluten free bread recipe.
My better half's attempts always turn out something that can cut bowling balls!:(
I heard this flour works well and the recipe on the back is pretty dialed in

flybill

Life of the Party
Feed my starter early this morning and it more than doubled! Been putting some whole wheat flour and all purpose flour.. all King Arthur since it's been on sale at QFC!

Used 600 grams of flour, 400 grams whole wheat and 200 grams all purpose.. will probably do loaves or baguettes.. haven't decided for sure.
20231125_105539.jpg20231125_081818.jpg

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
So my wife bought me a “sourdough kit” that came with tools and a banneton. I baked my first loaf a couple weeks ago, used AP flour, 75% hydration. That didn’t work too well.
IMG_1613.jpeg
This time I followed different instructions, used King Arthur bread flour, 72% hydration, overnight final proof in refrigerator and had markedly improved results.
IMG_1619.jpeg
And earlier this week I used my sourdough discard to make waffles and pancakes and froze them for breakfast for the next couple weeks. This is looking to be fun going forward.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
So my wife bought me a “sourdough kit” that came with tools and a banneton. I baked my first loaf a couple weeks ago, used AP flour, 75% hydration. That didn’t work too well.
View attachment 94093
This time I followed different instructions, used King Arthur bread flour, 72% hydration, overnight final proof in refrigerator and had markedly improved results.
View attachment 94095
And earlier this week I used my sourdough discard to make waffles and pancakes and froze them for breakfast for the next couple weeks. This is looking to be fun going forward.
Great 2nd loaf! Welcome to the sourdough gang. Glad to have more contributers here, makes me feel less annoying when I spam the thread with loaves.

Reactions: Zak

flybill

Life of the Party
Anyone have a preferred cinnamon roll (sourdough) recipe? I want to do a trial run this week before Christmas.
I saw a good looking one on the King Arthur site, which is where I usually start.. but haven't tried it myself... yet!

Reactions: Zak

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Anyone have a preferred cinnamon roll (sourdough) recipe? I want to do a trial run this week before Christmas.

1.5x icing

If you're looking to shake things up a bit, try the cardamom rolls from the perfect loaf instead.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter

1.5x icing

If you're looking to shake things up a bit, try the cardamom rolls from the perfect loaf instead.
This was what I’ve used in the past. Agree the icing wasn’t enough, but neither was the cinnamon filling. Maybe I should give it another go and use my trial day to experiment. Maybe toss some cardamom in them for fun.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter

The wife is gong through a "find the perfect recipe" kick for cinnamon roles (poor me) - so far, King Arthur is winning - I am a purist though, not sour dough, no icing (though extra sugar/cinnamon sprinkled on top), and absolutely NO cardamon!!!! I like my cinnamon to be cinnamon :giggle:

Next up will be sticky buns (the UBC sticky buns are the absolute best).

Good luck in your quest.

Cheers