What's Catching You Fish?

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
That's wild! At what moment are those doubles hooking up? During the fight, or while stripping the first fish back at hand?
Sometimes they will both hit the flies as they run through the sweet spot in the drift. Sometimes when a bigger fish hooks up the smaller ones will follow it around and take another fly during the fight. The above, one took the fly off the top at seemingly the same time the big one took the partridge, then another fish grabbed the point fly early into the action.

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Love your ties Tom. Simple-ish but very buggy and effective. And you constantly post evidence of their effectiveness!

Autocorrect tried to make me say “Love your toes, Tom.” 😗
Thx. There was a time I really followed Dave Hughes, Sylvester Nemes, ect. I came to believe, and today I could even take it to a new place and they worked just like always.
Just ran across this, page 116, Dave Hughes, Handbook of Hatches:
20230623_162701.jpg
They have worked for me to for a lot of years too. I may alter it some, but the basics are there, only I fish 'em all day all year long. Certainly flies that have stood the test of time, even the Dame fished basically the same thing and recommended it in several seasons..

Last edited:

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Mash-up of Bennet's Last Light and Charles St Pierres fox wing; everything's better with arctic fox right? Brought about a dozen trout to hand today, and elicited a few tugs that still have me wondering what could have been.
AJFCJaWLsVrDoiqTnTMpzjikAQ1bqhSVl1esOQLiULPAEPN-wxIytdGmqnnfLQJcUX0LhnDBQ4xXplXqjVDtjk87iIlxHsY6qf3OwtLqqDb2BPstg_7zx-C4xf-nWpuB7nSnyRDTVrZ_IekXxKX-6bvQ0nVUT0YTafD3heYAev1JttToVcI5h3JwAvkiB7YsLwRAQPQVrCp0-uSk6mTr0G4CIbUkXQGlY_-CD1CMbPgpnFdscntB2oKoKGIyTZmqJ2OTIxcQXof6Nw_XYWemLNhE7KHBO9ef1XhemCPKHIWXrSRjtIfK7YtTmIMIM3KuuVgsfdduPuaPHwr60tygk2_uwPaXPu3q1SAgjveQtC_V4NUlk3-yCWlihOySDH3JhjvEALuZBItLFvRcmcpQGT4J7dsFxDeUcbxgacyyUUILAKeTwuj8LOipXrFhR4pnrJqXx01jSG9D9KwwS_wmkFDXwStoOsfPmrBc--KH6N-2PRjdoVppheMMcM2UXW1rnF2uKV5w2GkOBySbjOmMhM3ugTaKS3zK8WCFCTplii8bC_g8C1igmgd9VFqYHpuojGc5cmJ8AQMVevP2AHNDRTZd2TsNcwUkLu07ZieVvPXV6MrOJAVTpcNRkEP0AaJaHxCVi6zDeXxhwLu22RKBfDkzd9Gp7uWFZgiG5GgBPrS73znBJ1_kx81xKtjKBgghwC3vdMV3GZPja2jdcf1B4jms83MqcAtgPE5fJxdDI56IPq_OO66u9RhGVzJ4KDZWf4KMrIkJ4ki-BAAy5JmGGYOKhDHHCF0MhwtFQgx_8rahLrOSMJAHUltOrYdsFhxOgA33jW1MXhv3dUjHsZAW7JfFo-SCCAK8ICyuIG0Ikdqs6iFDFwuOhmAFxypxzRYATDhU9QUcvNXgfl-03y_GFFEoszuagQVyvoTfD7zGiBW43YSvuXjfZJA9l0KHlTYEbXnzNcPNUoCzQF8Az-tpTZsa8d68RfE4E4FeP6DtMJ3QJQuCvJFbANrTps-5esUjeKvtKnY=w741-h989-s-no
bout

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Also, one like these put more fish in the net than the above buggy pattern (probably because I fished it more...that model is too torn up).

Pheasant & mini-mop, that's it. Fish were going out of their way to inspect this plus had a couple of chasers and caught a couple of cruisers on it.

PXL_20230703_131317738~2.jpg
PXL_20230702_201444855.PORTRAIT.jpg