2023 Garden Thread

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
I work 6am to 11pm Saturday and 6am to 9pm Sunday.... Watering has to get done before and after :cautious: I'm going to take a sabbatical.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
FINALLY! I started some onion and lettuce seeds in a window tray almost two months ago. Today I finally trans-planted them outside to my raised beds. I'll get some more seeds in the soil this weekend. Yeah, it's kinda' hot, but the soil temperature is out of the 40s at long last!

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Just got home from a lake trip and decided it was time to cull the lambs quarter patch. I’ve let 1-2 plants go to seed in a raised bed every year for the past few seasons. Last year and this year I’ve had the bed with the seed bearing plant carpet out in the spring. This year it was my onion bed. A little scissor work around the onions to harvest the young greens in the dark with my headlamp. I got about 3 pounds or so. I’ll let one go to seed again and hand weed the remaining survivors. Looking forward to what I’ll make with the greens. Maybe some saag paneer, not sure yet.
IMG_0867.jpeg
IMG_0868.jpeg

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
A lot of you have been asking me "Boot, how do I up my creepy yard art game?"

And what a great question, thank you!

How about a sorta hominid wood skull with conker eyes and an oak sapling jammed into the hollowed-out cranial vault?

1684284349315.png1684284446221.png

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
What is it made of and where did you get it? I ask because my wooden raised beds are 10 years old and are rotting on the inside. Likely need new ones next year.
My wife got them from VEGO Garden online. Lots of options, a little pricey (what isn’t right?), and they are a coated metal. A bit flimsy but okay
They are growing on me 😆
The proof will be in the results
My wood beds are all of a sudden pathetic. I spent a small fortune on a product called CedarShield which was supposed to make the wood last forever.
Crap

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Did they cut the corrugated pipe for you, or did the just deliver the longer lengths ?
30" round ?

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Did they cut the corrugated pipe for you, or did the just deliver the longer lengths ?
30" round ?
Ordered to size, height and diameter
It’s fabricated from corrugated sheet
Super hd
I’ve been contemplating having my young nephew- big hunter- camo them like a duck boat

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’ve read about zinc and wood preservatives in beds
You know - the plants you’re going to eat
The data doesn’t seem to indicate any huge issues
Jury still out kinda thing
My thinking is to do the galv as the zinc doesn’t seem to be an issue in small doses
Plants actually use it
I’ve also read where the zinc has a difficult time translocating in the soil. Might not be an issue. Plus there’s the whole soil pH thing where zinc might not even be soluble.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
The weather has been weird. Wonderful now. At this point I might expect frost in July. My tomatoes have never been this large in May and I have been at this gardening thing over 40 years. I have learned a lot. Most important is being flexible and count on nothing. So I enjoy the process of doing.IMG_3355.jpegIMG_3354.jpegIMG_3356.jpeg

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Spring was so cold around my house that I had nothing started before I left for Utah April 18. Then since returning home I got the raised beds prepped, planted seeds last Friday, May 13. Four days later, May 17, already had some lettuce and radish germinated and showing. Then yesterday, May 18, I've got a few green beans, spinach, and sugar pod peas showing. After my horrible gardening experience last year - that was mostly a failure - I feel pretty good about this year turning out pretty well. I had to go into town yesterday, so I swung by the Farmer's Market and bought some tomato plants - the usual Sungold and Early Girl. But I also bought a Muskovich, a yellow grape tomato (forget the variety), and a red cherry tomato. Got them all planted when I got home yesterday afternoon. It was a pretty good day of garden puttering for me. My thumb isn't green yet, but feels like it might get there.