Fly Tiers in WA & OR, Be Advised

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I wonder what's pushing WA and OR legislators on these bills? Seal clubbing for fur collection apparently is still a big thing which I personally could do without. Are the bill sponsors concerned with how chickens are slaughtered for market? Lambs? Cattle? Chickens, lambs and cattle are apparently not the target for protection so what is driving this? First world problems, my goodness.

(I better keep quiet about my stash of polar bear hair)

I can't say anymore because it gets political.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Taxidermy is specifically excluded from the definition of fur product. I think the definition of fur product does not include flies and fly tying materials.
At least for now, but quite often this sort of stuff evolves a step at a time.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Black Helicopters coming for your fur...lol

I'm more concerned with availability for purchase and how it impacts the economics for an already tough fly shop industry. I don't have any belief that my stuff will be confiscated or the like. I just worry that a fox tail might be economically crazy price or not available.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
You laugh but there absolutely is an element that would do that if they could
yea, whole lotta of 'elements' in this country, and more than one kind of woke
my personal goal in 2023 is not to rent any of them head space, keep it clear only for good things
cheers

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Last edited:

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
You should be careful, they may be undercover squirrels engaged in a sting operation...
There's an element in the squirrel community that would do that if they could...and they don't need helicopters.

Flying squirrels...and moose... they are to be watched carefully.

E0RCtVVWYAU01m5.jpeg

ABITNF

Steelhead
I'm beginning to believe that the people who draft these ambiguous proposals don't have a fucking clue what they're trying to accomplish. Government's role is to employ people and spend money. It doesn't have to accomplish anything tangible because the process is the product. Only have to give the illusion that it's doing the best for whoever is bitching the most at any given moment.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I'm beginning to believe that the people who draft these ambiguous proposals don't have a fucking clue what they're trying to accomplish. Government's role is to employ people and spend money. It doesn't have to accomplish anything tangible because the process is the product. Only have to give the illusion that it's doing the best for whoever is bitching the most at any given moment.
I hope your right. But I don't think so. I believe they know exactly what they are doing. They know it hurts people and they do not care..Their agenda is the only thing that matters and if people get hurt along the way so what..
That's how I used to be about Hatcheries and I was wrong.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

They do have a clue. They know what they are doing. They want no animal products processed, bought, or sold and therefore consumed, period. Same as the anti-meat bill that is kicking around (the one where you can only eat meat if the animal died of natural causes). They are sold to appeal to a broad audience (most people don't approve of fur farms), but the bill is written to be extremely broad. They could have just written a bill to ban fur farms in oregon. Both of those bills would de facto legislate a vegan lifestyle. That's the intent, anyway. Very few people wear fur anymore, so why is this bill needed now? I sure wish the time, money, and effort that go into bills like this would go toward something like, oh, I don't know, homelessness or drug addiction. I can't even remember the last time I saw someone wearing a fur coat.

As an aside, I believe some kind of anti-fur bill passed in California and went into effect this year. Has that affected fly shops? Will it? I'm not sure how it was written.

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I think this guy must have had some showshoe rabbit feet stashed in his pocket.
1679871110231.jpeg

ABITNF

Steelhead
Who is "they"? It's not the majority. Most people won't bat an eye to something like this. And as you point out nothing gets done when it comes to real issues. But stuff like these warm fuzzy things that give the illusion government is working is what we get. I was in that merry-go-round for over 35 years. No one ever wanted to make a decision on anything important. Kick the can down the road for someone else to tackle. You stay in long enough and you witness the same tired ideas that miserably failed the last time they were tried a decade or more ago. Heaven help anyone who wants to make a decision because if wrong your upward climb to the top will be derailed because you've got a wreckless attitude.

No just sit there. Come up with things that sound good but do nothing but affect those your legislation didn't consider because you and those who draft this stuff didn't know enough about the world except that blood sports are a bad thing practiced by crazed lunatics. Let's protect the defenseless animals. We've done real well there so far haven't we. Here's our tax dollars at work. This is as good as it gets.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
I used the link above to send comments to the lawmakers that I opposed the bill, or at least asked that the add language exempting fly tying materials.