Coffee talk

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
View attachment 46364

Meant to reply earlier, how offended I am that you not only insulted my favorite beverage (even though my kids say my favorite beverage is beer; I say that’s because they are asleep for most of my coffee consumption) but you have now also offended my favorite American Renaissance novel! And I’m not joking! (About the favorite part. I ❤️ Moby Dick) 😁
Merry Christmas Matt.

flybill

Life of the Party
Now I need to get a heat gun, dog bowl (or see if I kept my last dogs one).. I have the chop sticks. And pick some green beans! Ton's of options.. might try and buy some beans from on of the local espresso shops I frequent.. not charbucks! Lardro or a couple of others that roast there own beans.

I have had some amazing coffee that was roasted, the best I've ever had was from a friend Don. We would meet for cigars in the AM sometimes, I was working for Orvis at the time. He asked if I wanted sugar, cream or ?? I said black and was met with my first sip the flavor of blueberries! I don't recall which bean he used, but he had started with the dog bowl, heat gun and chop stick method.. up to a serious roaster!

There are so many great coffee's if you hunt them down.. One of the ones I posted is aged in wine barrels from one of my favorite wineries Pomum, on Artisan Hlll in Woodinville! The other one I got at a farmers market in Duval.. there were 3 different one, all individually sourced from different countries.. Brazil, Costa Rica and I can't remember..

So the real question is how do you brew your beans after grinding? As far as grinding I have an electric grinder, but will be getting a hand grinder.

I use a pour over method, but love the AeroPress! Cold brew is awesome as it makes a coffee without any bitterness! You can do it in a mason jar or other ways, but I love the setup I bought..

I won't even bother with all whisk(e)y is just whisky or whiskey! Same with wine, babies or guns and butter! Ha!

Cheers!

Last edited:

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Now I need to get a heat gun, dog bowl (or see if I kept my last dogs one).. I have the chop sticks. And pick some green beans! Ton's of options.. might try and buy some beans from on of the local espresso shops I frequent.. not charbucks! Lardro or a coupel of others that roast there own beans.

I have had some amazing coffee that was roasted, the best I've ever had was from a friend Don. We would meet for cigars in the AM sometimes, I was working for Orvis at the time. He asked if I wanted sugar, cream or ?? I said black and was met with my first sip the flavor of blueberries! I don't recall which bean he used, but he had started with the dog bowl, heat gun and chop stick method.. up to a serious roaster!

There are so many great coffee's if you hunt them down.. One of the ones I posted is aged in wine barrels from one of my favorite wineries Pomum, on Artisan Hlll in Woodinville! The other one I got at a farmers market in Duval.. there were 3 different one, all individually sourced from different countries.. Brazil, Costa Rica and I can't remember..

So the real question is how do you brew your beans after grinding? As far as grinding I have an electric grinder, but will be getting a hand grinder.

I use a pour over method, but love the AeroPress! Cold brew is awesome as it makes a coffee without any bitterness! You can do it in a mason jar or other ways, but I love the setup I bought..

I won't even bother with all whisk(e)y is just whisky or whiskey! Same with wine, babies or guns and butter! Ha!

Cheers!
You sure you want to dive down this rabbit hole? ;)

It sounds like you already know what you like. That gives you a head start as far as replicating flavors you will recognize. The blueberry note you mentioned is typically an Ethiopian coffee. Big berry and fruit tones are available from many African beans though.

Keep us updated!

flybill

Life of the Party
You sure you want to dive down this rabbit hole? ;)

It sounds like you already know what you like. That gives you a head start as far as replicating flavors you will recognize. The blueberry note you mentioned is typically an Ethiopian coffee. Big berry and fruit tones are available from many African beans though.

Keep us updated!
I'm already quite a ways down.. I will order some Ethiopian beans to start! I will keep you updated.. can one ever have enough hobbies / passions? Asked and answered! Ha!

And Rabbit Hole Dareringer bourbon, PX sherry finished is one of my favorites! I'll post a picture of that later.. one of the many sherry finished whiskies I own!

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
By Ethiopian, everyone means Yergichefe ?
I bought 2 lbs of that when I worked north of Barstow in 99. I think the grind was medium or medium to fine. I remember a lot of fine dregs at the bottom of my cups using a standard drip maker.

Can't say i was a fan of the taste. I remember it being fruity, and a slight bit oily , with a funky after taste. Am I off on this ?

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
By Ethiopian, everyone means Yergichefe ?
I bought 2 lbs of that when I worked north of Barstow in 99. I think the grind was medium or medium to fine. I remember a lot of fine dregs at the bottom of my cups using a standard drip maker.

Can't say i was a fan of the taste. I remember it being fruity, and a slight bit oily , with a funky after taste. Am I off on this ?
One that was recommended to me is Ethiopian Guji. I ordered some with the intent of making cold brew with berry overtones. It was good but definitely on the citrus side of the spectrum. There are so many variables like roasting level and method, brewing method, coffee:water ratio, water temp, etc that play into the flavors of the cup. And that doesn’t account for the origin and processing of the beans you start with. The friend that got me started in roasting used to keep a detailed log and re-order specific beans. But they weren’t the same year to year. So if consistent results is really important, you either need to get pretty scientific in your approach or just buy the roasted beans you like. I’m in it for the variety and experiments. Even if I “do it wrong”, I’m making coffee with fresh roasted beans….it’s rarely bad :coffee:

flybill

Life of the Party
One that was recommended to me is Ethiopian Guji. I ordered some with the intent of making cold brew with berry overtones. It was good but definitely on the citrus side of the spectrum. There are so many variables like roasting level and method, brewing method, coffee:water ratio, water temp, etc that play into the flavors of the cup. And that doesn’t account for the origin and processing of the beans you start with. The friend that got me started in roasting used to keep a detailed log and re-order specific beans. But they weren’t the same year to year. So if consistent results is really important, you either need to get pretty scientific in your approach or just buy the roasted beans you like. I’m in it for the variety and experiments. Even if I “do it wrong”, I’m making coffee with fresh roasted beans….it’s rarely bad :coffee:
Asking the group, what coffee and grind do you like for cold brew? I've used a lot of different ones, even Starbucks as I have friends who work / worked there..

The Ethiopian one I described with blueberry notes was not cold brew. Not sure what my friend did to brew it.. French Press can be good but will get an Areopress for sure and a good pour over system.. I have an inexpensive pour over setup, which works for now. I have used them all. Next in line will be a heat gun.. can use for line splicing and roasting coffee!! I have an awesome scale for my sourdough stuff so will use it for coffee as well!

Love it when a plan comes together!!

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Asking the group, what coffee and grind do you like for cold brew? I've used a lot of different ones, even Starbucks as I have friends who work / worked there..

The Ethiopian one I described with blueberry notes was not cold brew. Not sure what my friend did to brew it.. French Press can be good but will get an Areopress for sure and a good pour over system.. I have an inexpensive pour over setup, which works for now. I have used them all. Next in line will be a heat gun.. can use for line splicing and roasting coffee!! I have an awesome scale for my sourdough stuff so will use it for coffee as well!

Love it when a plan comes together!!
I made cold brew all last summer. Ethiopia, Kenya, Burundi origin beans work great. They tend to be pretty acidic in traditional coffee but not in cold brew. My Baratza Encore grinder is adjustable and I use #22 for cold brew. It’s the same semi-coarse grind I use with my French press.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I haven't made cold brew myself yet but I'm kinda planning to give it a try when things warm up.

In my limited experience one doesn't need to spend much money on a quality pourover system. I have a couple of plastic V60s. One is the size 02 I believe, and one is the 03. I used the 03 all summer to make my large mug to take on the ocean. At home I use the 02 to make smaller mugs. Both, with carafes, were less than 20 bucks.

I have a Chemex, Aeropress, and a really nice drip machine but my favorite is the V60 by far. A quality grinder definitely helps a lot with the V60. I've read that other pour over setups are a bit more forgiving in that department.

flybill

Life of the Party
I haven't made cold brew myself yet but I'm kinda planning to give it a try when things warm up.

In my limited experience one doesn't need to spend much money on a quality pourover system. I have a couple of plastic V60s. One is the size 02 I believe, and one is the 03. I used the 03 all summer to make my large mug to take on the ocean. At home I use the 02 to make smaller mugs. Both, with carafes, were less than 20 bucks.

I have a Chemex, Aeropress, and a really nice drip machine but my favorite is the V60 by far. A quality grinder definitely helps a lot with the V60. I've read that other pour over setups are a bit more forgiving in that department.
Chemex is the one I want!

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
We have an interesting household here. My wife got me a bean cooler for Christmas as one of the weak points of the Fresh Roast is cooling beans quickly and she heard me talking about that. In return I got her a fancy new Keurig machine. So I can brew and drink delicious fresh beans, and she can drink her sugary insta drinks lol

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Trying out my new bean cooler while we still have power.

Some Guatamalan Antigua Santa Ines beans. There is a pretty huge difference in how quickly these beans got cooled. I ran the Fresh Roast through its standard 3 minute cooling cycle after dumping these and before that 3 minutes were up the beans were cooler than if Id left them in for the full cooling cycle then dumped and let them sit for 5 more minutes. Very impressive.

Everything I've read says that cooling the beans as quickly as possible has a big impact on the finished product so I'm excited to try these out and see if I notice any difference

20221227_112020.jpg