Coffee talk

flybill

Life of the Party
Given our climate issues. Coffee production, availability and price are going to get even more interesting…and that scares me a bit here in the bunker.
Hundreds of bottles of whiskey, fly tying materials, books, wine will keep me busy! I need to stock up on cigars.. and some staples and I can stay in the bunker indefinitely!! Plus coffee of course...

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Hundreds of bottles of whiskey, fly tying materials, books, wine will keep me busy! I need to stock up on cigars.. and some staples and I can stay in the bunker indefinitely!! Plus coffee of course...
If i have to do without coffee cuz i can’t afford it or can’t afford to drive to find it , well, i’m gonna have to stock up on ibuprofen and Tums.

EmergingFisher

Life of the Party
Looks like a nice bold roast you got there! How did it come out? Can you describe the mods you made on the air popper?
It's pretty good, smoother and not as "dark" tasting as the bean appearance suggests. Actually my second roast, first was lighter. Decided to give it a little more time for fun. Hit 2nd crack a lot faster than I thought though based on the first roast. Popper gets hot fast, and will be ambient temp dependent, so in no means a precise device.

Only mod I've made is sticking a roll of foil in the top to keep all the beans from shooting out. I'll get through this bag of green beans I have and see how dedicated* I am to this and explore more. Right now I'm just playing around. Had an interest and a popper, and happened to be at the Ethiopian market, so a grabbed a bag of Yergacheffe and made the plunge.

*obsessed

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Not from my experiences. Strong nutty bitterness. Not much caramel….but many combos out there.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I just ordered a couple lbs of beans of Bali Blue Moon. When I get them I can send them to you for $150…. ;)

I look forward to trying it.
Ha! I can e-commerce and cut out the middleman with the best of ‘em. Of course I just meant my 1/2 lb was almost gone. I still roast my own, mostly. Every now and then I’ll splurge on somebody else’s beans. I actually bought that bag because I wasn’t loving the batch of home roasted beans I brought on vacation! I had to cut it with a bit of the Bali Blue Moon, which I like straight up on its own too.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Saw this on the other site, a coffee bean net:

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I just ordered a couple lbs of beans of Bali Blue Moon. When I get them I can send them to you for $150…. ;)

I look forward to trying it.
Went through a lb of Bali Blue Moon have another. Ordered 2 lbs of Dark Ugandan this morning. I used to buy lbs of Tony’s hose roasted coffee in Bellingham while in college in the mid 70’s . Guatamalan Antigua from them fueled my addiction… still hooked.

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Industrial strength! Impressive. How many cups a day do you drink usually?
I have two in the morning over the course of maybe 2 hours. My wife has probably double that. But she also likes making big batches of teas, and this thing is great for that.