Give me your "gotta have" travel trailer advice/gadgets/suggestions...

Brian in OR.

Steelhead
When dumping your black water fill it half full of water and slosh it around and dump it again... Usually one shot is not enough... Nothing like getting back in your camper and week after you dumped it last and have that funky sewer smell :poop:

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Josh,

Congrats.

Couple things:

1). Develop a routine for everything you do on the trailer, so that it becomes second nature i.e. hooking up and dropping the trailer, dumping the trailer, loading the trailer, doing an outside and inside "walk around" of the camper prior to moving it, etc. Think of a pilots walkaround of a plane prior to take off.

2). Have a running log for the trailer. For this I keep a notebook in the trailer. Write down what you want/need as soon as you think of it. This way you forget anything.

I use the log to write down what I need to replace in the trailer be it food or other supplies. I also write down things to add for the next trip i.e. a warmer coat, a rain jacket, different flies, rods, etc. I also write down things I need to fix on the trailer i.e. a broken cabinet latch or a leaky faucet.

3). Both my Dad and Father- In- Law, told me, "Once you own a travel trailer, you better carry a big toolbox". I now know exactly what they meant. There is always something to fix or replace. Simple hand tools, simple electrical supplies, roof patching cement etc. are good things to start out with, in your toolbox.

Both my Dad and Father-In-Law are gone, I am not a super great fix-it guy. Those two were. Youtube has become my best friend. There are a lot of fixes on RV's, that can be done by an idiot like me, thus a lot of money can be saved. Plus it is always cool to learn new skills.

4). Lastly, if you havent done so, replace all interior lights with LED bulbs. FWIW, I didnt go the 6 volt route. I kept with 12 volt only because it works for me.

I do a lot of boondocking for 5 - 7 day periods. I dont use a generator as I cant stand the noise for one and for two, like mentioned above, I am not a great mechanic. Motors and I dont get along.

The installaton of the LED interior lights has saved incredibly, on my battery drain. In 21 years of using my travel trailer ( manufactured in 1987 btw, so old school technology ), I have only run out of battery power twice, once in a snowcamp trip and once because my toddlers and wife, left all the lights and the heater on, for long, extended periods of time. However, both of these incidents were prior to the interior LED lights being installed. Since then, Ive never run out of battery power.

Sorry for the long post.

Hit me up if you have any other quesitons.

Have fun with your new toy. In the woods, it is so nice to be able to return to a warm dry camp.

Bob

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Not sure what your battery setup is, but if you have some extra cash, I would convert to LiFePO4. Initial cost is high, but they will last, you don't need to worry near as much about over discharge ruining you battery, they charge faster and discharge slower, they weigh about 1/2 as a lead-acid battery.

Most of all, get out and have fun!!

cheers

It might be just our refrigerator in our trailer, but often it tends to freeze produce and so we have gone to putting produce into a cooler with ice and it also doubles as a beer cooler or fridge expansion . I have tried to turn the temp up a little but still seems to freeze too often. Another idea is maybe have an older pair of shoes for doing the black and grey water tank disposal and then change out of them for the driving. I sort of hate to think about what I may be tracking back into the truck with water or whatever is there, BEFORE you dump. And the obvious get a big box of nitryl golves for the dump activity. Have two pairs of keys for the RV for when someone wants to go off and on different interest journeys while at camp. I don't have solar panels but my good friend has set up his Cassita so he can run his La Pavoni espresso maker and everything in the RV for about 8 to 10 days when dry camping. It is an investment but so nice when out away from the grid.

Draketake has some wonderful things.. establishing a protocol for setup and take down so all items are checked off. Doing this is a very good idea and will save time and money should you drive off still hooked up with an extension cord on the storage pad. Don't ask.........

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It might be just our refrigerator in our trailer, but often it tends to freeze produce and so we have gone to putting produce into a cooler with ice and it also doubles as a beer cooler or fridge expansion . I have tried to turn the temp up a little but still seems to freeze too often. Another idea is maybe have an older pair of shoes for doing the black and grey water tank disposal and then change out of them for the driving. I sort of hate to think about what I may be tracking back into the truck with water or whatever is there, BEFORE you dump. And the obvious get a big box of nitryl golves for the dump activity. Have two pairs of keys for the RV for when someone wants to go off and on different interest journeys while at camp. I don't have solar panels but my good friend has set up his Cassita so he can run his La Pavoni espresso maker and everything in the RV for about 8 to 10 days when dry camping. It is an investment but so nice when out away from the grid.
Good advice about dealing with the dump station. We also have a spare pare of plastic shoes for my use while dumping and a good supply of gloves. I place the dumping hose and shoes into a garbage bag for the trip home and then clean everything when I get home. Same routine for the river toilet that I use with my drift boat.

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
So many good suggestions I don't think I really have much to add.

I will say have dedicated stuff just for the trailer. Don't have stuff that you plan to use for other vehicles, trips, etc. You'll always forget to put them back, even with a checklist. Don't ask me how I know.

Onto power, 2 6V batteries wired in works wonders. Onto solar you need to evaluate where you plan to camp. That was a big concern when I was setting up system for my pop-up truck camper. Low light areas, lots of dense canopy, etc. Plus using remote panels wasn't an option thanks to area I'd be camping (possible theft).

My battery system is set up to run 2 weeks and not drop below 12V. I have a volt meter to watch that batteries don't drop that low. I bought them with enough Amp hours to run my CPAP, recharge phones, cameras, and tablets. Run lights. Etc for a minimum 14 days without a recharge. I've went over 18 days and was still sitting around 12.3 V at end of trip. I have a small generator that I can fire up and put a charge on the batteries if I need it.

RCF

Life of the Party
I will say have dedicated stuff just for the trailer. Don't have stuff that you plan to use for other vehicles, trips, etc. You'll always forget to put them back, even with a checklist. Don't ask me how I know.
Ding, ding, ding! Totally forgot about that.

When we sold one vehicle, just boxed up everything. Buy a new one and unpacked it.

Checklists - look how many said that! Many of you can relate to that. Even with checklists I have read some trip reports where OOPPSS - for got my rods or waders, etc. BTW I have never forgot anything, ever (where is purple emoji that is whistling?) ! LOL...

You do not need to travel with a full fresh water tank. Just enough for the trip. @8lbs per gallon it adds a lot of weight quickly. Fill up water just before going dry RVing aka back country. Dump everything ASAP back in civilization.

Lots of great ideas! And the biggest issue is black water. When you figure it out - lets us all know...

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Spare trailer door keys permanently housed in each tow vehicle, or one secreted away on the exterior of the trailer.

A pair of decent walkie-talkies so you and the missus can snark at each other without yelling while backing into a site. (No, no! Your OTHER left!) Useful at other times, too. Take the batteries out between trips to prevent potential battery leakage ruining the radios.

A Food Saver-bagged box of wooden matches that you will hopefully never need. A couple of 50-foot hanks of paracord. A handful of assorted-length zip ties. A first aid kit. If you are camping in Oregon, a $15 Harbor Freight motion detector to alert you when scumbags start breaking into your tow vehicle in the night.

For boondock camping, include a deck of playing cards. If you break down in a lonely remote area without cell service, start playing a game of solitaire on the hood of your truck. Within 5 minutes you will hear from over your shoulder, “You can play the red five on the black six.”, and you can catch a ride out with him.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
When we had our single axle trailer we usually camped in places way out in the sticks, invariably not on a level spot. After using blocks for a year or two to drive up on to level things out, I got tired of that and got a set of these. Well worth it, they made getting level a whole lot simpler and less time consuming.
I see like everything else they’ve goten a lot more expensive, but still worth having.
It’s always fun spending other people’s money!

Freestone

Life of the Party
Forum Legend
When you get back, have a routine that you do each and every time to prepare the rig for the next trip: empty tanks, add some fresh water, restock things you used, add the things you wish you had and remove the unnecessary items, launder towels and bedding (and put them back), restock canned goods and other prepared goods, etc. That way, if you want to take off right after work on a Friday night, you can pretty much just go! I keep camp clothes in my rig along with enough non-refrigerated food that I can head out immediately (if I want to). I also keep some Mountain House type-meals as an emergency back-up in case the fishing is really good!

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
My first trailer was very similar to your model. Congrats!

I added slide out wire shelves to the closet. That not only gave me more storage but really helped keep organized.

As far as outdoor cooking, I love my Blackstone griddle.

I keep a brita (or something similar) for drinking water.

Do you want to be connected? I get it is not for everyone but I love taking off for a week, camping on a river in the middle of nowhere, and no one even misses me.

DSC_3136.jpg