This Ain't Good...As A Matter Of Fact, Damn Sad!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Fact about humanity, people are basically evil and choose to do wrong.

Damn dude. A belief like that must be a heavy burden to carry through life.

I believe all people are intrinsically good. If you believe that, it forces you to think about why people do shitty things. Usually, you find the reasons.

Zak

Legend
Fact about humanity, people are basically evil and choose to do wrong.
I strongly disagree, based on my own experience and things I've read.

There's an interesting book called A Paradise Built in Hell that's a study of what happened during disasters when people were left to fend for themselves. Almost universally, it did not turn into Lord of the Flies. People organized to provide for each other and make sure they all survived together.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
A simple little test.

Lying is evil and telling a lie makes one a liar.
What % of people have told a lie?

Stealing is evil and doing so makes one a thief. What % of people have stolen?

Looking at a woman who is not your wife lustfully makes one an adulterer that's evil and what % of us has done that?

Being so angry with someone that you want to hurt them is being a murderer. What % of us have done that?

Telling a lie that defames someone's charecter is very evil yet we humans do that all the time.

Evil starts in our hearts and manifests in our thoughts. The big problem is that we define evil by comparing ourselves to others who we know to be evil.

"Yeah I might have cheated on that test in college but. I'm no Ted Bundy"

"Yeah I might have sat back and done nothing while that hoard of 7th grade boys tried to "pants" that girl at lunch out by the gym but it's not like I was the one doing it."

Yeah, we let ourselves off the hook because we think there is someone worse.. They arebthe evil ones, not us.

Anyway, no one will agree with me so I'll stop.

Zak

Legend
A simple little test.

Looking at a woman who is not your wife lustfully makes one an adulterer that's evil and what % of us has done that?

Being so angry with someone that you want to hurt them is being a murderer. What % of us have done that?

Telling a lie that defames someone's charecter is very evil yet we humans do that all the time.

Evil starts in our hearts and manifests in our thoughts. The big problem is that we define evil by comparing ourselves to others who we know to be evil.

"Yeah I might have sat back and done nothing while that hoard of 7th grade boys tried to "pants" that girl at lunch out by the gym but it's not like I was the one doing it."

Yeah, we let ourselves off the hook because we think there is someone worse.. They arebthe evil ones, not us.

A simple little test.

I get where you are coming from. If you are not perfect, you are evil. So every human is evil. I just don't agree.

I think what you describe are sins, but I don't think sinning makes you evil. Sinning is "falling short of the mark." Remember President Jimmy Carter saying "I have committed adultery many times in my heart"? Hard to call that man evil.

Evil, to me, is delighting in the suffering of others.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
A simple little test.

Here's my test...

Does thinking about landing a 25 lb steelhead on a skated fly make me an angler who has landed a 25 lb steelhead on a skated fly?

Does thinking I'm a billionaire make me a billionaire?

Does thinking I'm the POTUS make me the POTUS?

Fact...being so angry I think about murdering someone does not make me a murderer. Commiting the act of murder would make me a murder.

Fact....As a married man, thinking about commiting adultery does not make me an adulterer. Commiting the act of adultery would make me an adulterer.

Opinion and fact are two very different things.

Last edited:

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Fact...being so angry I think about murdering someone does not make me a murderer. Commiting the act of murder would make me a murder.

Fact....As a married man, thinking about commiting adultery does not make me an adulterer. The act of adultery make would make me an adulterer.

Opinion and fact are two very different things.
that is opinion though.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I’m reminded of the words of a couple great philosophers.

”Evenflow…thoughts arrive like butterflies.” -E. Vedder

&

“Whatever has the nature of arising has the nature of ceasing.” -The Buddha

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Adultery:

voluntary sexual intercourse between a married person and a person who is not his or her spouse.

Murder:

the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.

I dont see the words "thinking about" in either of those definitions.

"You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother[c] will be liable to judgment; whoever insults[d] his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell[e] of fire"

"You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell"

This is from the same sermon the golden rule is from by the way.

Controlling your thoughts is equally important to Controlling your actions

This is as valid philosophy as any secular philosophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.