BBQ Salmon... foil or direct on the grill?

dep

Steelhead
same day fresh caught salmon on the grill - lightly seasoned.
I have been fortunate to have caught enough salmon each year that I have never bought salmon in a store.
if it ain't mine, it ain't going on my grill.

dp

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
Picked up some sockeye from Costco yesterday for dinner tonight. Trying to decide if I want to grill or bake in the oven.

But that got me thinking about the three main methods for salmon on the grill:

1. Foil packet (sealed)
2. Foil tray
3. Direct on the grill

I don't really have a favorite and have great memories of eating fish done with both methods. But I guess if I had to pick one, I'd take direct on the grill. Cooking in a foil packet is probably an easier way to not overcook and keep the fish moist. But I also think that it's not all that much different from doing it in the oven. Direct on the grill feels more like you "grilled" it. If that makes sense? Foil boat/tray is my choice if direct on the grill isn't an option.

What do you all like?

I'll ping the official PNWFF Camp Chef @Jerry Daschofsky because I feel like he'll have an opinion here.

EDIT: I realized that I shouldn't have said "foil wrapped" since I meant "foil tray". So I've added a "foil packet" option as well.
Sorry, been in Lexington, KY for the Railbird Music Festival and now in Nashville hitting the honky tonks. Been busy. 😆 🤣 😂

Onto any salmon. First I'll descale it. After that you can go a couple routes. At least what I grew up eating.

1 lay filet in foil skin down. Season with Johnnys (or seasoning of choice). Cover in slices of real butter. Then cover with slices of white or sweet onion, and slices of onion. cover with foil and throw on BBQ. Pull out after about 30 minutes and check for doneness. Then toss back into bbq with foil open so bbq sauce can carmelize.

2, which is really simple, skin side down again, just cover lightly in your favorite bbq sauce. Fold and cook on bbq. Check doneness after 30 minutes. Then put back on bbq with foil open so bbq sauce can caramelize. You can also toss onion onto the bbq sauce when you carmelize.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Sorry, been in Lexington, KY for the Railbird Music Festival and now in Nashville hitting the honky tonks. Been busy. 😆 🤣 😂

Onto any salmon. First I'll descale it. After that you can go a couple routes. At least what I grew up eating.

1 lay filet in foil skin down. Season with Johnnys (or seasoning of choice). Cover in slices of real butter. Then cover with slices of white or sweet onion, and slices of onion. cover with foil and throw on BBQ. Pull out after about 30 minutes and check for doneness. Then toss back into bbq with foil open so bbq sauce can carmelize.

2, which is really simple, skin side down again, just cover lightly in your favorite bbq sauce. Fold and cook on bbq. Check doneness after 30 minutes. Then put back on bbq with foil open so bbq sauce can caramelize. You can also toss onion onto the bbq sauce when you carmelize.
Never thought I'd say this on something culinary related, but I strongly disagree with Jerry's post here.

Is this going to get me kicked off my own forum? :ROFLMAO:

JohnB

Smolt
Man I've been spoiled with all the Columbia and Willamette spring chinook this year 🤤

(no other salmon even comes close)
As a member of the inland NW I almost said something incredibly rude that may be a banable offense. Fortunately I managed to control myself.

G_Smolt

Legend
On the traeger, alder for fuel, "smoke" or 180° setting. Stays there until the internal hits 115°-120° (depending on fillet/chunk size). Rests for a bit to redistribute juices / finish on carry-over, then into faceholes.

Only other way for me to enjoy fresh salmon is descaled and pan-fried.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
As a member of the inland NW I almost said something incredibly rude that may be a banable offense. Fortunately I managed to control myself.
I’m not sure why but I think Jerry may have used ChatGPT with the prompt: how do you make bbq salmon real good?

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
How many of you that wrap Salmon in tin foil and put it on the grill to bake it, do the same with a rib eye, New York or fillet mignon steaks?

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Quick reply before heading to the salt mine. Marinate of choice before, place skin side down, directly on liberally oiled grill, low heat, with an over-sized foil tent above, to reflect heat to the meat side and circulate smoke flavor if using wood chips. Don't flip and take fish off when there's still a trace of translucent flesh in the thickest part of the fillet. Skin should be crispy but not burnt.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Well now that all the elite salmon religious people had their say.
Here is real life on the inland PNW side:

Tired as fuck after work. Stop at the store, buy the shittiest light pink (probably dyed that color) farm raised salmon. Usually spring for the 10.99 special, as it's bullshit a proper cooked dinner costs 30-50 bucks a day. I'm not poor, but I hate the cost of food lol.
Get home, give it a good smell, and feel the slime. Is it good? I dunno, fuck it, I'm hungry.
Cook it up. I won't dive into grill, oven, whatever, I understand that's the point here, but obviously whatever recipe I state doesn't matter by this point.
Take it off the grill, as perfectly cooked as it can be. The wife whines that it's still raw and she wants it flakey. I mutter, sure give me your half and I'll ruin it just like your well done steaks.
The you clean up, and pray that smell doesn't translate into food poisoning or anything.

Just some simple facts of life here. Haha
Sorry. Had to make a post like this after reading 4 pages of elitism. Trying to help the common folk feel more at home here.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Sorry. Had to make a post like this after reading 4 pages of elitism. Trying to help the common folk feel more at home here.
On one level, I hear you. PNW folks can be opinionated about our salmon. We forget just how spoiled we get around here because we have options for good fresh fish. Cook a friend from the middle of the country any salmon ever and they are over the moon.

But I would counter with the fact that tossing a bit of fish with oil/salt/pepper on the grill for a few minutes each side seems to be pretty low on the "food elitism" scale, you know? Nobody sourcing french shallots here or rare himalayan salts. There's no 3 day prep work needed. Just meat and fire and maybe some aluminum foil, if that's your style.

I will say that I avoid net pen farmed salmon. But that's less for food elitism reasons and more for the fact that ocean pens are terrible. Start farming those suckers in land tanks and I'll care less (though they still won't taste as good as wild fish).

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
I know your post was toungue-in-cheek and I don't think it's elitism in this thread, rather that most of the folks above are probably mentally shifting from a mindset of store bought salmon to the salmon they catch themselves given people who respond to threads are generally those who have some measure of passion. At a minimum, people in the thread know where salmon come from (not the grocery store). If you put the time/effort/$$ in to catching and killing a salmon, it makes sense to take some time to prepare it well.

We haven't bought salmon in many years being fortunate enough to live near the coast and the ability to kill a few each spring and fall. When we run out, we just don't eat salmon. For the good stuff, springers and fresh coho, we are partial to the minimalist approaches noted above, usually a plank on the grill with some sort of very light glaze. In a rush, on a grilling rack in the oven.

When there is overlap and it gets old (or maybe it's a hatchery steelhead), then we make a salmon/bok choy curry with some thai curry paste (either color), bok choy and the fish seasoned to taste over Japanese rice. Super easy and fast. Don't stir too much and the pieces of salmon stay together and don't flake apart until eating.

Hoofer

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I read that Bristol Bay harvest is forecast for 37 million sockeye this year, after 60 million last year. Maybe more cohos for us too? I hope so!