Official 2026 MLB Discussion Thread

I saw some clips from Justin Verlander's last game before heading into retirement. Detroit did some very classy things. When the Tigers took the field in the first inning, they let him go out first and take the mound before any other players came out. And when he came out of the game, they let his daughter go out to the mound and walk back to the dugout with him. She also threw out the first pitch. He had said that she had asked him to play catch to get ready for it and it was the first time she asked him to play catch. He also asked her if she wanted to throw from the grass or mound....she chose the mound.
 
It must be time for another Mariner garage sale. They will say it is rebuilding for another run at the playoffs but in reality the goal will be to reduce payroll and save the ownership millions. Not only will JP and Randy be gone but any other player with a large contract will also be on the trading block. I would not be completely surprised if players like Raleigh, Young, Nalor, Canzone (definitely), or perhaps less likely Julio, Woo, Gilbert would be traded to save money. This is exactly how the mariners have rolled in the past. The only difference this time is they have a nice reservoir of young, cheap, decent rookies to fill in with.
 
I happened to personally witness Houston clinching the division on Sunday while supporting what's left of my precious Oakland/Sacramento/Las Vegas A's. I've been a fan since the team came to Oakland from Kansas City in 1968. My dad started taking us to the Coliseum (except when the Cubbies were in town) because Candlestick Park was such a miserable place to watch a ball game.

Sutter Health Park (a minor league ballpark) is an incredible place to watch a major league ball game. We were there with my son and his family and I purchased the tickets through MLB for $38 each. There literally isn't a bad seat in the house. Here's a photo I took yesterday with my phone from the cheap seats. We'll enjoy one more season before the A's head to Vegas.

d160e15c-b57d-4c34-bd95-f61802c71751.jpg
 

Attachments

  • d160e15c-b57d-4c34-bd95-f61802c71751.jpg
    d160e15c-b57d-4c34-bd95-f61802c71751.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
It must be time for another Mariner garage sale. They will say it is rebuilding for another run at the playoffs but in reality the goal will be to reduce payroll and save the ownership millions. Not only will JP and Randy be gone but any other player with a large contract will also be on the trading block. I would not be completely surprised if players like Raleigh, Young, Nalor, Canzone (definitely), or perhaps less likely Julio, Woo, Gilbert would be traded to save money. This is exactly how the mariners have rolled in the past. The only difference this time is they have a nice reservoir of young, cheap, decent rookies to fill in with.
Yeah, I was kinda' thinking that the Mariners have a pretty high payroll for a AAA team. The head office must have noticed too.
 
I have often wondered how Dipoto has lasted for over 10 years having produced only a modicum of positive results. I would guess that is because he has concentrated on reduced costs while still putting butts in the seats for most games. Ownership obviously looks fondly on that ROI and views profits as the primary objective rather than repeatedly producing winning seasons for the fanbase.
 
Back
Top