What Are You Eating?

I’ve never had it the way you do it with the sausage and bacon and I would love to try a bowl. Fed Ex? πŸ˜‰

My buddy got me hooked on using several kinds of whole dried chiles, lightly toasted and blended into a sort of slurry, as the chili flavor base. That, plus a couple squares of baker’s chocolate.

Everybody’s got their own way of making chili!
Dried chiles are the way...
Especially for enchilada sauces.
πŸ™‚

I often put dried and/or fresh chilies in my chili…my wife has a lower heat tolerance than I do, so I add hot sauce to the bowl to compensate…
 
I often put dried and/or fresh chilies in my chili…my wife has a lower heat tolerance than I do, so I add hot sauce to the bowl to compensate…
Hot sauce is a requirement!

Unless I accidentally made the whole batch really hot already…usually has been from getting too adventurous with the fresh chili pepper.
 
I actually don't like my chili burning hot, but like to use a bunch of different lower heat dried chiles for good solid chile flavor, then add Chipotle for some smokey heat.

Gimme 4 star Thai food though...
πŸ˜†
 
I’ve never had it the way you do it with the sausage and bacon and I would love to try a bowl. Fed Ex? πŸ˜‰

My buddy got me hooked on using several kinds of whole dried chiles, lightly toasted and blended into a sort of slurry, as the chili flavor base. That, plus a couple squares of baker’s chocolate.

Everybody’s got their own way of making chili!
I like a mix of ancho-pasilla, morita, guajillo, New Mexico, and arbol. Well rounded flavor and spice. Deseed then toast with whole cumin, coriander, black pepper, and 1/2 a cinnamon stick. Cover with boiling beef stock and let sit 15-20 minutes then blend as smooth as possible before adding back to the meat, aromatics, and tomato paste.
 
I like a mix of ancho-pasilla, morita, guajillo, New Mexico, and arbol. Well rounded flavor and spice. Deseed then toast with whole cumin, coriander, black pepper, and 1/2 a cinnamon stick. Cover with boiling beef stock and let sit 15-20 minutes then blend as smooth as possible before adding back to the meat, aromatics, and tomato paste.
Yeah, all thatβ€”some β€œbaking spices” as my buddy says. Just a teensy hint of some other stuff from the spice drawer like allspice and cardamom.

I usually de-seed the whole dry chiles, because I want to use a lot of them, and agree, for me I don’t want a 5-alarm fire chili. Plus I hope other people will eat it and enjoy it. I use a bunch of Chile California and then at least 4-5 other types which always has some chile negro and poblano.

Well I guess I’m making chili this weekend. 😁 Been meaning to anyway.
 
Happy Birthday to meπŸ™‚

I'm making buttermilk sourdough pancakes from an overnight sponge and Hemplers Vermont maple sausage links.
View attachment 194317
I don’t know what an overnight sponge is (something to deal with in the morning sink?) but I like pancakes and sausage so I’ll take your word for it!

And Happy Birthday!
 
Probably some of the last fresh coho from the salt for me this year, some of the first wild mushrooms harvested this year, some tabbouleh and good friends, simple and great Fall dinner.

1791699052586.png
 
  • Like
Reactions: Zak
Back
Top