Sea Run Cutthroat in rivers. What's your jam?

was just about to ask what folks think about purple
Another thought about my "confidence" freshwater SRC & resident CC stream attractor fly. It's made from classic, "natural" (color) & "buggy" looking (even better after chewed on) materials; Pheasant Tail, Peacock Herl (now using olive ice dubbing for durability & ease to achieve it), and variegated hackle (suggesting movement). As I began fishing it along with other color variants (and patterns-shapes), it dramatically stood out as a superior fly for all trout species. I carry it in both stiff and softer hackle depending on pocket water vs riffles and runs and how I am manipulating it. That continued to build on itself to now well over 2X as many trout caught as any other pattern in my box.
 
adding to my meager stash...probably going to add something black/purple leachy type prior to heading out this weekend...

View attachment 192199


yep, found a couple of those in my long lost box! Dunno that I've ever fished it.
That very top fly is similar to about 60% of what I fish in salt, a little bigger perhaps, generally with more cylinder hackle. Catches pretty much anything except pink salmon and starry flounder.
 
As an aside, a number of years ago I was streamer fishing on the Deschutes and decided to throw on a red spider just cause I was curious. It caught a few fish there too....lol
 
More than 90% of the time I reach for a regular spider, with first choice a burnt orange body, followed by black, dark olive and yellow). Backup patterns include fall caddis, BWOS or other fall mays. I fish mainly larger flies (6s and 4s) reserving the smaller sizes for targeting pressured fish.

At least on the north Puget Sound streams that I fish I find the fish often hold close to wood and the closer I present my flies to that wood or under the over-hanging limb the more fish I catch. That means the effective presentation is putting our flies in jeopardy to snagging on the wood. For this reason, I like the simpler patterns (less tying time).

I don't find that cutthroat are usually short strikers but can be very quick in rejection our flies. To best deal with those quick rejections a strip set is your friend.

Curt
 
Made it to the Cow today, SRC were short striking and not as thick in numbers as previous years so far. Run seems to be just starting for these lil guys. One super awesome dry fly bite made the drive worth it
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1385.jpeg
    IMG_1385.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1387.jpeg
    IMG_1387.jpeg
    1,019.5 KB · Views: 21
With the smaller rivers (or larger, I guess) from the bank, do you folks mostly use an intermediate for swing/stripping spiders? or a slightly heavier sink tip?
 
With the smaller rivers (or larger, I guess) from the bank, do you folks mostly use an intermediate for swing/stripping spiders? or a slightly heavier sink tip?
Good question.

I did both yesterday and got no love…..but then that’s how I tend to roll lately🙃
 
Last edited:
More than 90% of the time I reach for a regular spider, with first choice a burnt orange body, followed by black, dark olive and yellow). Backup patterns include fall caddis, BWOS or other fall mays. I fish mainly larger flies (6s and 4s) reserving the smaller sizes for targeting pressured fish.

At least on the north Puget Sound streams that I fish I find the fish often hold close to wood and the closer I present my flies to that wood or under the over-hanging limb the more fish I catch. That means the effective presentation is putting our flies in jeopardy to snagging on the wood. For this reason, I like the simpler patterns (less tying time).

I don't find that cutthroat are usually short strikers but can be very quick in rejection our flies. To best deal with those quick rejections a strip set is your friend.

Curt
I remember seeing Les Johnson strip a spider and he had a unique rod lift then strip technique. Do you do a regular strip retrieve or do you go the LJ way?
 
nice video. looks a little like a slower (and vertical) jerk strip that Galloup utilizes.

now....what to do this weekend. dust off my musky stuff? or REALLY dust off my SRC stuff? Was also considering surf perch, but I don't like the swell forecast.
 
Old Les Johnson, Mike Kinney and Pete Van Gytenbeek video fishing for searuns on the Stilly.
SF


Interesting video, Mike Kinney has huge hands.
This is a reminder of simpler times when you could actually fish the S rivers. I enjoyed those days. I met Les Johnson a couple times and had some enjoyable conversations, he had a friendly falsetto voice.
 
Interesting video, Mike Kinney has huge hands.
This is a reminder of simpler times when you could actually fish the S rivers. I enjoyed those days.
I didn't watch the video, not because I've already seen it, but because I don't feel like watching a video of something I'd rather have been doing all last weekend.
 
Back
Top