Puget Sound

Great info. As mentioned, I’ve used Amphipod and Euphausiid patterns in the winter and spring, but never at this time of year.
Has anyone ever tried them in the summer and had success with them?
SF

Have not but ran into a situation 1st week of September that I wish I had some with me. Late morning bright sun, deep water and the tide had pushed a bunch like in your picture to the surface. There was a mix of what appeared to be juvenile coho, adult coho, and dogfish feeding on them right on the surface. Some of the boils were impressive. I was mooching and finished my limit that way, but it would have been fun to try and target the surface game.

I have caught many coho this time of year and later with what appear to be krill and amphipods in their stomachs. I wouldn't call it as frequent as the June residents, but it happens enough to not be a surprise IMO. Attached is a pic I posted in the gear forum a few years back of two November saltwater coho that were feeding on amphipods of some sort. They are in the blood there but kind of hard to make out. Fish were caught about 170 feet down in 190-200 feet of water so not sure if they were hyperiid or gammarid.

1343.jpg
 
Another great day yesterday. Had a gear buddy onboard so mainly jigged but one was fly caught. Another amazing day once the switch flipped and the bite turned on. Saturday was more consistently good over a longer period of time but Sunday was bananas in a shorter window. Both days resulted in highly memorable action. Not sure what the difference was? Maybe the cloud cover Saturday versus the bright sun Sunday? The success on jigs the last two days has really opened my eyes. When I have had non fly fisherman onboard chasing coho in the past, divers and trolling were the most common method used. However, we boated more coho the last two days across the different anglers on board than the last few years trolling, and in my opinion it’s a much more enjoyable way to catch them if fishing gear.

IMG_3954.jpeg

Been texting with @Kfish and others thinking up some fun experimental stuff to try next weekend. How do you effectively get a fly down to fish in 50-75 feet of water?

Could this be the answer… 🤣🤣

IMG_3953.jpeg
 
Another great day yesterday. Had a gear buddy onboard so mainly jigged but one was fly caught. Another amazing day once the switch flipped and the bite turned on. Saturday was more consistently good over a longer period of time but Sunday was bananas in a shorter window. Both days resulted in highly memorable action. Not sure what the difference was? Maybe the cloud cover Saturday versus the bright sun Sunday? The success on jigs the last two days has really opened my eyes. When I have had non fly fisherman onboard chasing coho in the past, divers and trolling were the most common method used. However, we boated more coho the last two days across the different anglers on board than the last few years trolling, and in my opinion it’s a much more enjoyable way to catch them if fishing gear.

View attachment 192891

Been texting with @Kfish and others thinking up some fun experimental stuff to try next weekend. How do you effectively get a fly down to fish in 50-75 feet of water?

Could this be the answer… 🤣🤣

View attachment 192889
Use a Dipsey Diver with a quick release? Treat the fly rod like a center pin rig?
 
Maybe I'm taking crazy pills, but isn't 8-2 normally open for the everety coho derby?

It used to be but wasn’t open during the derby last year. I wish they’d just close it on the same day as MA 9.
SF
 
Switched it up and headed south today to fish over some oysters. Lotta grabs and a couple quality fish to the net. Absolute glass conditions- cool to watch them sip the surface.

Trying out some different materials- please by all means, pick apart my fly! What material would you add or replace?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2876.jpeg
    IMG_2876.jpeg
    484.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2873.jpeg
    IMG_2873.jpeg
    542.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2886.jpeg
    IMG_2886.jpeg
    959 KB · Views: 54
Switched it up and headed south today to fish over some oysters. Lotta grabs and a couple quality fish to the net. Absolute glass conditions- cool to watch them sip the surface.

Trying out some different materials- please by all means, pick apart my fly! What material would you add or replace?

Just my personal preference, but I’ve had more luck on cutts with non stinger patterns.
So my suggestion would be to tie the same pattern on a standard hook.
SF
 
That’s a wrap! Finished off my 2026 MA 9 season yesterday. Unfortunately, work obligations will keep me off the water the last three days of the season. What a year it was though. I spent a lot of days on the water. Some full days, some short outings before and after work. Lots of fish were caught. New areas fished and some really cool experiences for the memory bank including the last 4 days which is easily the best stretch of coho fishing I have ever experienced. Fish were caught on the fly and jig and lots of them. Double digit triple ups two days in a row on the jig Saturday and Sunday. Great fly fishing from the beach Friday and really good jig and fly fishing Thursday from the boat. What a way to wrap the season.

Nice 7.5-8 lb buck kept from the beach Friday.

IMG_4035.jpeg

Some others from the last couple weekends.

IMG_4033.jpeg

IMG_4034.jpeg

IMG_4037.jpeg


IMG_4036.jpeg
On the hunt for birds and bait. Not only was the fishing great but some awesome weather to wrap the season as well. @Kfish photo with another member here pointing out some frenzied gulls to check out.

IMG_4032.jpeg

Aside from this weekend, the best way I can describe this season was consistent. There seemed to always be some fish around. Some super hot days and some slow ones but very few skunks from the beach. Rezzie fishing early (even in 10 before 9 opened) was great and the beaches stayed really good through the end of the season. Later in September I fished the boat a bunch as well, and jigging was mixed in. There were some very memorable days out there using both methods. One of my favorites was when @Kfish and I found pods of fish feeding in the surface out in a very deep rip offshore. Same when I found them in shallow while out solo, also on bait. Casting to coho actively on surface bait never gets old. The other days I’ll always remember were the jig or mixed jig/fly fishing days the last couple weekends. I’ve jigged a little before for coho but had never put in a ton of effort. The last two weekends in particular showed me it can be incredibly effective.

Fish were far and fun even back in late July in 10.

IMG_4047.jpeg

They were fatter and just as fun by late September in 9.

IMG_4048.jpeg

Some other random fish.

IMG_4038.jpeg

IMG_4039.jpeg

IMG_4040.jpeg

IMG_4042.jpeg

IMG_4041.jpeg

A pretty rare occurrence, but will never complain about incidentally hooking into one of these guys off the beach.

IMG_4049.jpeg

I’ll do a little more coho fishing in 10 in October than on to SRC and chum. Looking forward to 27. Hopefully the coho are thick and the pinks act like pinks next year.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top