Mushroom and other wild edible foraging

Interesting find! I've heard that early morels can be quite different from true morels in texture. Drying them for soups sounds like a good idea. Thanks for sharing your experience!
 
Thanks for the info, still too dry here. Enjoy hunting for them, never been able to eat them! Family and friends benefit…..I compare it to fishing, trolling around the woods looking…..
 
Three to ten days after the first real rains hit Mt Baker is when I have found shrooms.
I am not an expert or professional, but I know something about this.
I head out on Hwy 20 East, into the mountains.
This is where the fun starts. Look for sunlit areas in the dark woods. Look for any and all mushrooms, as they are a good sign. Get off any trail and venture into the forest. This is where you will find them.
Chanterelles ,, like golden gems. So easy to identify. Cut them with a knife, fill a bag. Then look closer for the Lobster mushroom.
Always be keen to other mushroom hunters leavings.. this is key. If you see shavings of Lobster Mushrooms at the parking lot...you know that you are in the right place.
,
 
I will add ..there are many edible mushrooms available for harvest, and all are very delicious. The list is long.. and most worthy of study. But for me... this time of year... it's all about the Chanterelles and Lobsters.
After a good rain soak... it's like an Easter egg hunt in the deep forest.
 
Back
Top