Clouser stinger hook question

onefish

Steelhead
What is the current combination of stinger hook material and actual stinger hook that you are using for tying clousers? Getting lots of short strikes with my single front hook and thinking I should tie up some with the stinger hook. Thanks.
 


Instead of mono I've used braid, intruder wire, or even Dacron backing. You'll find a material that has the stiffness you like. I've also tied them on shanks instead of sacrificing a hook in the front.

Hook-wise, something with a turned eye seems to work well when looped onto the stinger loop. Straight eyes ride a bit funny. Owner no-escape and any octopus style would work. I don't love the way the hook in the video rides but Scott's caught way more fish than I have so what do I know?

Another option is to tie Clousers on tubes so you can have the hook ride a bit farther back.
 
Braid for me for the loop. Takes a beach beating better than mono or wire in my opinion. Leave your loop long enough that you can swap out the hook if it gets dinged.
I also like my stinger back behind the materials, not in them.
Another vote for Owner No Escape hooks.
I like to use Mustad 3407dt size 4 for the sacrificial hook up front.
A two handed strip will help convert some of those plucking bites to hookups. Just keep stripping even after you come tight on the fish.
Down here, I haven’t had to deploy the stinger yet. They are still pounding standard non stinger patterns.
SF
 
Last edited:
Braid for me for the loop. Takes a beach beating better than mono or wire in my opinion. Leave your loop long enough that you can swap out the hook if it gets dinged.
I also like my stinger back behind the materials, not in them.
Another vote for Owner No Escape hooks.
A two handed strip will help convert some of those plucking bites to hookups. Just keep stripping even after you come tight on the fish.
Down here, I haven’t had to deploy the stinger yet. They are still pounding standard non stinger patterns.
SF
Do you run any kind of junction tubing to keep the braid from fouling?
 
Do you run any kind of junction tubing to keep the braid from fouling?

No.
Haven’t found fouling to be a major issue since there is no front hook. You get an occasional foul, but not enough to need to use junction tubing.
SF
 
Last edited:
Most Septembers a trailing stinger hook is helpful for tentative coho strikes, but this year they are pounding the fly with gusto. Traditional Clousers are all you need at the moment.
 
Yup, they pounded the back 1/8th of an inch of my non stinger clouser today. Worst landing ratio I have ever had fishing, any time, any place, 1/13 fish on and running and a number of other plucks and pulls. I am sure you could hear me cursing all the way from Vancouver Island. Rain for tomorrow so I am home for a day. Will see what I can do about tying some stingers up!!!! Thanks for the feedback.
 
I wonder whether using a colored stinger would make a difference? I'm thinking I saw both chartreuse and red Gami octopus hooks on a rack somewhere a while back…
 
Back
Top