An unplanned purchase

Bro if you get rock those coming through hot in the Prius on the sauk this year, they're gonna have to kick my ass first. I got you
didn't he get rid of his baby Prius?
 
When Hank was still with me I used dog hair/dog blanket dubbing from the clothes dryer lint trap.
 
These look like they'd work for eyes.
View attachment 193876
Yeah, I had a similar thought, but most eyes are pretty cheap unlike some name brand synthetic dubbings/fibers, plus I have a lot of eyes. And eyes on flies do look better to me with a pupil in them.

I keep the faux jewels for bedazzling my “looks.”
 
Yeah, I had a similar thought, but most eyes are pretty cheap unlike some name brand synthetic dubbings/fibers, plus I have a lot of eyes. And eyes on flies do look better to me with a pupil in them.

I keep the faux jewels for bedazzling my “looks.”
Bedazzled wader straps? A fly box that radiates aura? One on a front tooth, 2000s hip hop stylee? There are so many options for river rizz
 
Yeah, I had a similar thought, but most eyes are pretty cheap
1791211574928.png
Matt, looks like they got a packet there for the eyes. These eyes sure don't look cheap. That smoky Bellydancer/Assassin/Rogue Agent/ "I just came out of retirement for one last job/ I got a particular set of skills-these here peepers confidence comes in handy in any situation.
 
Last edited:
Craft and fabric shops are indeed a great source for tying material. At one time I bought post type doll eyes for my hard body bass poppers. I cut the posts down a bit but they stayed in place much better than the self adhesive ones they push today. Before the self adhesive eyes, the fly tying materials companies discovered the post type eyes and started selling them in fly shops ... for of course a lot more than I paid for them at the craft store. (it didn't help that I wrote a fly tying article about using post type eyes for hard body poppers)

One day I went in the craft shop to buy some more post eyes and I was told they could no longer get them. Their supplier was selling them to companies other than those in the craft biz. Gee, I wonder who they were selling them too at a higher price ?

So if you do find some nifty material in a craft store to use for fly tying, don't write about the stuff for a story in a national magazine ! :oops:
 
In case it wasn’t clear, this was at Spirit Halloween, the national chain “pop up” store.

It might be riskier to “spot burn” posting about this stuff on the web than writing an article for a print magazine these days!
 
Unfortunately the craft store Joanne's in Bend closed, a chain which have been our go to for fabric, materials, tape, adhesives, tools, lights, for decades. By signing up as a member and downloading the phone app, would periodically get 40% to 50% off coupons used for really nice German micro scissors, desk and floor Ottlites, rolling organizers, etc.
 
@MattB,
anyone who paid attention saw it was from Spirit. Nice thing is, they'll be gone in a few weeks and people will just have to wait until next year. I think @GAT learned a hard inadvertent lesson, but in context, that was a long time ago.
Have fun with your find. Impulse buying can be expensive, or fun. Hope you make it the latter
 
Back
Top