Search results

  1. Merle

    Backyard Wildlife

    Checked the trail cam in the back wood last weekend and found we had a sturdy fellow visit us one Friday afternoon in July. Our dog also showed up in the camera about 40 minutes earlier, just missed him!
  2. Merle

    NFR Queens are out and about

    Been seeing a few yellow jackets while sitting out on the deck so I’m taking another run at the Filpronil Cocktail. The last attempt had limited success using canned tuna, so I dug out a 5 year old piece of salmon from the freezer and cubed it up. Put a half cup or so in a tuna can and dosed...
  3. Merle

    Single Hand not Spey

    I found a few of my old versions in my summer steelhead box… they’re not nearly as elegant as yours and Rod’s. But I remember now I added a pink topping of Angel Hair to spice things up a notch.
  4. Merle

    Last Day (late report)

    Wow, amazing adventure and great telling of the story. Too bad about losing the bear. What cartridge were you using? Sounds like you made a great shot.
  5. Merle

    SBS: Myakka Minnow

    Very Nice.... thanks Mike!
  6. Merle

    Single Hand not Spey

    That actually sounds about right, that 5wt OBS weighs in as a 6wt line, plus the sinking leader, it probably launched like a slingshot casting overhead! That fly is my favorite summer steelhead choice. I used to tie a version with a bit of extra flash for the Grand Ronde. I called it a...
  7. Merle

    SFR Old Trails Fire Update

    Wow… So sorry to hear this. I hope all going forward goes as well as it can. It is good to hear that you have a place in MT you can base out of while you figure next steps. That must be some solace. All the best. Andy
  8. Merle

    What's in your vise?

    Always inspired by @Stonedfish, I did some free styling at the vise with August September beach coho in mind.
  9. Merle

    SFR "Premium" purchases you found to be "worth it"

    Any of my Bauer Rogue reels, every time I peel line off one it brings a satisfying smile to my face. Just so silky smooth and solid feeling. I recently had to send one back to Bauer, due to some neglect on my part. I must’ve failed to properly rinse one of the Rogue 3s after beach fishing and...
  10. Merle

    Be safe today! (Spelling corrected)

    I clicked expecting to see pics of a sweet new gun safe installed in your great room.
  11. Merle

    Favorite recipes for basic store bought fish...

    My wife often brings home (previously frozen) cod fillets from the Safeway meat counter. I like to just coat the pieces in Old Bay, (a heavy coating for mine and a lighter dusting for hers), followed by olive oil all over and then grilled quickly on a preheated hot grill. I would like to...
  12. Merle

    NFR Queens are out and about

    Nice. what did you do, go back in a bee suit and inject the nest with some powder?
  13. Merle

    Looking for a lost rod on the Yak.

    Ouch - sounds like a sweet set up. Hope he gets it back!
  14. Merle

    Type III head for a 4wt switch rod?

    I've had great luck using a Rio Outbound on switch rods. for my Batson / Forecast 10'6" 6wt (SH weight scale) I found it worked nice with an 8 weight Rio OB (the original 37' version). That was in the river, not the salt, but I wouldn't hesitate to try an 8 weight OBS on it in the salt. And...
  15. Merle

    Ideas for an August trip

    If it were me, I would try to get a campsite at at one of the "Fort" state parks and target Admiralty Inlet migratory coho from the various beaches.
  16. Merle

    Northern BC & Yukon

    Looks like heaven Brute!
  17. Merle

    LCI 5' Ultralight Spin Rod

    My first “nice” fly rod was an LCI 6wt 9ft, that I got from Buffalo Bill’s in Issaquah in about 1990. I paired it with a Cortland Rimfly click pawl reel and chased trout in the Columbia basin at all the popular spots. Sadly the combo got stolen out of the back of my truck one day while parked...
  18. Merle

    Inconsistent bite (for me)

    I like that fly Pat. How do you fish it, retrieved on a sinking line? Nice fish too!
  19. Merle

    Best outfit for tactical crabbing?

    I almost went with that for the title of the post!
Back
Top