Lacto fermentation

I haven't tested the pH, but it's on par with sauerkraut I typically make and I like sour things. I just consider it an active ferment and therefore "fridge stable". I just monitor for mold or off smells, which has never happened on a hot sauce for me.

That pepper powder trick sounds awesome. The wife would surely be irritated if I brought a dehydrator home though.
There's nothing irritating about having a dehydrator. Especially if you grow peppers 😉

Just find a nice covered area outside to use it.
 
Good idea but don't they get stuck in your teeth?
 
So, I’m ready to do my first fermentation. I read that filtered or spring water is necessary. Or, airing tap water for 24 hours or boiling for 20 minutes. What do y’all do?
 
So, I’m ready to do my first fermentation. I read that filtered or spring water is necessary. Or, airing tap water for 24 hours or boiling for 20 minutes. What do y’all do?
Straight from the tap in Tacoma and it works just fine.
 
View attachment 191325Well, here is my first shot at fermentation. I went rather simple with carrots, garlic, and a few spices. Now all I have to do is wait….
I just bought the same device and am going to put some carrots up later today. I'll be eager for an update and am curious about how many days it takes you to get the desired flavor.
 
This thread reminded me that I was gifted a kit to ferment in 32 oz jars so I threw together a pantry clean out kim chi (I guess, it was about half bok choy) in 3% salt solution yesterday. I just used tap water. Do you use distilled or spring or filtered water?

IMG_7457.jpeg
 
This thread reminded me that I was gifted a kit to ferment in 32 oz jars so I threw together a pantry clean out kim chi (I guess, it was about half bok choy) in 3% salt solution yesterday. I just used tap water. Do you use distilled or spring or filtered water?

View attachment 191685
I'm new at this but my fridge filters water so I used that. I use tap water for my sourdough starter and it's fine.
 
Back
Top