YT in the PNW

SpawnFlyFish

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
We're always looking to improve our visibility on the internet and these days it seems that Youtube is one of the very best outlets for that. We dont do videos on how to fish specific locations but when it comes the gear and techniques what is it that you truly want to see or learn about for here in the PNW? Our shop has thousands and thousands of items and we participate in all the PNW fisheries but what we care about isn't always what you want to see. Any feedback is appreciated and thank you all for your support of our shop!

-Spawn Fly Fish

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
We're always looking to improve our visibility on the internet and these days it seems that Youtube is one of the very best outlets for that. We dont do videos on how to fish specific locations but when it comes the gear and techniques what is it that you truly want to see or learn about for here in the PNW? Our shop has thousands and thousands of items and we participate in all the PNW fisheries but what we care about isn't always what you want to see. Any feedback is appreciated and thank you all for your support of our shop!

-Spawn Fly Fish
I like your flytying videos and have used them to tie flies (especially SRC flies for the sound).

SpawnFlyFish

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I like your flytying videos and have used them to tie flies (especially SRC flies for the sound).
I appreciate that! I do want to do some deeper dives into Puget Sound. Showing just what I look when I approach a beach and what not!

Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I appreciate that! I do want to do some deeper dives into Puget Sound. Showing just what I look when I approach a beach and what not!
I'd get a lot out of that, especially videos that are wading (rather than boat) focused. As a transplant from Vermont, fishing the Sound is a new thing for me and I'll take any info I can get!

Divad

Whitefish
I would try to stick with the seasonal relationship. Spring for PS fry and more importantly the rush of fly fishers to lakes, late spring/early summer to rivers and blue lines, summer for maybe mountain lakes and early salmon, fall for salmon/src, winter for head etc.

Hike in a vise and tie lakeside at 6k ft with a backdrop against the cascades for a catchy video.

I also really like the idea of bringing in a fly tyer or staff and throw them some random materials. Would be an option to showcase some of the new items the shop has while also being a fun video, maybe have them fish it in the next video or same one. Mad River did a series like this a bit ago and it was an enjoyable one to watch.

SpawnFlyFish

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'd get a lot out of that, especially videos that are wading (rather than boat) focused. As a transplant from Vermont, fishing the Sound is a new thing for me and I'll take any info I can get!
I can do that!

SpawnFlyFish

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I would try to stick with the seasonal relationship. Spring for PS fry and more importantly the rush of fly fishers to lakes, late spring/early summer to rivers and blue lines, summer for maybe mountain lakes and early salmon, fall for salmon/src, winter for head etc.

Hike in a vise and tie lakeside at 6k ft with a backdrop against the cascades for a catchy video.

I also really like the idea of bringing in a fly tyer or staff and throw them some random materials. Would be an option to showcase some of the new items the shop has while also being a fun video, maybe have them fish it in the next video or same one. Mad River did a series like this a bit ago and it was an enjoyable one to watch.
I really like the idea of doing the random material with the nearly 15,000 fly tying sku's that we have its a little overwhelming sometimes but if its random it would force us to come up with something cool to showcase. In terms of seasonality we have been trying to do that and appreciate the feedback! Thank you!

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Probably tough to pull off logistically but maybe showcase tiers who are customers and tie for some of the pnw’s more unique fisheries (salmon, src, tuna, king, lingcod). I know of some who are really good tiers who are customers of yours. I am not including myself in that group. Unless of course you want to showcase the fact that customers of yours that are really mediocre fly tyers can produce flies that catch fish as well. The finished product might not be the best showcase of your shops materials though :).

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Probably tough to pull off logistically but maybe showcase tiers who are customers and tie for some of the pnw’s more unique fisheries (salmon, src, tuna, king cod). I know of some who are really good tiers who are customers of yours. I am not including myself in that group. Unless of course you want to showcase the fact that customers of yours that are really mediocre fly tyers can produce flies that catch fish as well. The finished product might not be the best showcase of your shops materials though :).
I've recently made two purchases from Spawn and with the last purchase I asked for a last minure swap (which they graciously accommdated) - (drifted there) - I'm trying to tie some flies for my September tuna outing. I ain't even close to mediocre but at least I have some materials, that in the right hands, might produce a decent tuna fly.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

This would be great along with some info on various rigs (line, leaders, flies) for various conditions and times of year.

And, while I'm not able to get to your store, you guys are the best online resource. Great inventory and great service.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

-Spawn Fly Fish

I haven't seen lots of videos but I did see the coho video you did. It was good and I could not tell where you were fishing which I highly appreciate. Too many videos and media send uncreative folks flocking to the same water and it wrecks it for the locals. Thank you for keeping it classy, quality, interesting, and non location descript. Folks that don't fish silvers in rivers could glean lots of info other than location from that video.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I like the video you did of the sea lions sinking the sail boat.

Didn't help my fishing at all... but I like the video.

SeaRun1

Freshly Spawned
Great shop! You guys do a great job with your videos. Maybe some how to videos starting with techniques and building from there to solid PNW fly choices across the fish disciplines.

SR1

SpawnFlyFish

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Just want to say love you guys and you are a great resource for fly fishing and tying!

If you ever want to film some eastern WA bass stuff I know a guy😁
That would be fun! I need to get over there more. We've gained a lot larger presence on the east side and need to go enjoy all WA has to offer. I used to as a kid but haven't since covid!

SpawnFlyFish

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I like the video you did of the sea lions sinking the sail boat.

Didn't help my fishing at all... but I like the video.
hahaha our channel would probably have a lot more subs if freaking king 5 didn't steal that video and post it on YouTube. There's had like 8million views by the time I finally got them to remove it!

• Wow
Reactions: RCF

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
hahaha our channel would probably have a lot more subs if freaking king 5 didn't steal that video and post it on YouTube. There's had like 8million views by the time I finally got them to remove it!
And I'm sure they conveniently ignored any requests for compensation

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
How about one on smallmouth fishing, Columbia and Snake?