Your Favorite To-Go Coffee Mug?

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
I have a fancy Starbucks mug with a snap lid that I have used for 13 years nearly every day but it’s time to retire this leaky old thing as my wife says my coffee tastes funny from the residue. This mug has been great to me and I will consider another Starbucks because I think their products are good quality but wanted your recommendations since I know a lot of us fishermen are coffee guzzlers.

I am looking for something that is reasonably leak free but doesn’t need to be able to go in a backpack and bounce around upside down and still not leak. All I need are standard upright uses for this mug. I would also like something 16-20oz range.

Let’s hear some recommendations! Thank you all for your advice!

Reactions: Zak

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I have a fancy Starbucks mug with a snap lid that I have used for 13 years nearly every day but it’s time to retire this leaky old thing as my wife says my coffee tastes funny from the residue. This mug has been great to me and I will consider another Starbucks because I think their products are good quality but wanted your recommendations since I know a lot of us fishermen are coffee guzzlers.

I am looking for something that is reasonably leak free but doesn’t need to be able to go in a backpack and bounce around upside down and still not leak. All I need are standard upright uses for this mug. I would also like something 16-20oz range.

My grandkids gifted me the only Yeti product I own; 20 oz., gasketed lid but will not doubt leak if you upend it. It keeps coffee hot a long time and cold drinks cold a long time.IMG_0962.jpg

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter

My Klean Kanteen is pretty good. Does everything you need and you can get a screw in thermos top too. My only beef with any of these is coffee doesn’t taste or feel the same when my mouth hits plastic. I haven’t found a better solution than taking the lid off and sipping from the metal.
I had a ceramic travel mug that was shaped sorta like a pint glass and had a silicone snap on top. The ceramic part was great but the silicone was worse than plastic I thought. Then the ceramic broke.

Attachments

• D732CB81-4283-4919-A7A5-F9F801150508.png
    D732CB81-4283-4919-A7A5-F9F801150508.png
    217.2 KB · Views: 1

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Plenty of great yeti knockoffs out there. All stainless steel vacuum wall mugs work just as well as the overpriced yeti. I probably have the same Starbucks mug you have...had it for years...kind of a weird gasket that gets nasty and now is deteriorated and doesn't seal well.

We have gifted yeti, Rtic, and Artic mugs....and they are similar in construction and performance. We also have several Contigos; great cups that truly seal well, but have a more intricate sipping mechanism that requires more attention to keep clean.

I now prefer the yeti style stainless steel mugs with the push in (not screw down) lids (usually clear top with a snap down opening). They work best over the long run if you gently twist the lid when inserting/removing (keeps the gasket in its lid groove). The lack of threads make it much easier to keep everything clean.

Finally, I make sure the bottom diameter will fit in our vehicles' cup holders before I buy the damn things.

Last edited:

klq@stl

Steelhead

I wish they still sold these mugs. Coffee stayed hot, wide base. I went through two of these before being beat up from falling off tailgate or roof of truck.

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
My grandkids gifted me the only Yeti product I own; 20 oz., gasketed lid but will not doubt leak if you upend it. It keeps coffee hot a long time and cold drinks cold a long time.View attachment 12060
I have a couple similar size Yeti‘s to yours, but without the neat fly design. I believe these are 20 oz. size cups that Yetti calls Ramblers. You can also get them with handles, but I don’t think they’re necessary.

Although I have a couple in the standard stainless steel finish, my favorite one is Olive colored. The colored finish doesn't seem to to be as slippery, or quite as cold to handle (might be my imagination) as the stainless ones and I use mine for my morning coffee every day. On many mornings it goes with me in my car when I go to the gym and my coffee (whatever is left of it) is still reasonably warm when I’m finished. It has also gone with me for the past several years when I’ve driven to Montana to fish from my home in PA. Hot coffee from this mug tastes especially good on early Fall mornings there when the temperature is often below freezing.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I have a couple similar size Yeti‘s to yours, but without the neat fly design. I believe these are 20 oz. size cups that Yetti calls Ramblers. You can also get them with handles, but I don’t think they’re necessary.

Although I have a couple in the standard stainless steel finish, my favorite one is Olive colored. The colored finish doesn't seem to to be as slippery, or quite as cold to handle (might be my imagination) as the stainless ones and I use mine for my morning coffee every day. On many mornings it goes with me in my car when I go to the gym and my coffee (whatever is left of it) is still reasonably warm when I’m finished. It has also gone with me for the past several years when I’ve driven to Montana to fish from my home in PA. Hot coffee from this mug tastes especially good on early Fall mornings there when the temperature is often below freezing.
This is what Nyeti calls the Rambler - I'm amazed at how long coffee stays hot in this cup.

Zak

Legend
Zojirushi for travel. I've had mine for 4 years, it never leaks, I have no concerns about throwing it into a briefcase or backpack with important papers. Easy to clean. Keeps coffee hot all day:

But my favorite coffee mug is this one that the good folks at my old job in Vermont gave me when I moved to Washington:
PXL_20220419_155935678.jpg

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I like this one...also works great for beer.

Plus, it's got this crazy winning vibe to it...

SsbFidy.jpg

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
My favorite coffee mugs are not travel or commuter mugs. They're ceramic with thin rims. We have some beautiful mugs we got from a pottery shop in Utah. They have all the colors of the desert and they rate high in aesthetics. However, the rims are thick, which means coffee dribbles down the rim and side if you're not careful. So my daily drinkers are random ceramic mugs, one from an old Pacific Fishery Biologists meeting in the 90s, a couple from the salmon cannery in Ketchikan, AK, etc. My commuter mug for the last 6 years is one of those insulated stainless steel styles from a gift shop in Whitefish, MT. It has a gasketed plastic top of the press fit variety. It fits in car cup holders, so it's working out well.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
The biggest issue I have with today's stainless steel vacuum mugs (compared to my old starbucks mug) is remembering not to prewarm the interior of the mug...they're so damn efficiently insulated (even with a healthy dose of 1/2&1/2) you can scald yourself. That is my 'first world' whine of the day. 😳