Youngs Pattern 1?

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
I've come into possession of what I think is a 3" youngs pattern 1 reel. Very simple design. It is marked Army and Navy Surplus, Victoria St. London. Plan to line it up for my 6'9" 4 weight constable.
E79EE182-B158-4CC6-AE61-FC7D2132FD4F_1_201_a.jpeg

BE99687D-3019-4D9F-9DBD-6CD3154DA8AE_1_201_a.jpeg

8C11885E-60F6-4072-918B-2931076299EE_1_201_a.jpeg

The reel came loaded with a level silk line. Have any of you fished the old silk lines you've found on reels. I test casted it on the lawn. The finish is rough and sticky so the line doesn't shoot. I don't think that matters when I'm making short casts on the stream.

CBAF3CC5-58DA-4A68-BB50-02839C226620.jpeg

Cliff

Steelhead
I've come into possession of what I think is a 3" youngs pattern 1 reel. Very simple design. It is marked Army and Navy Surplus, Victoria St. London. Plan to line it up for my 6'9" 4 weight constable.
View attachment 107458

View attachment 107459

View attachment 107460

The reel came loaded with a level silk line. Have any of you fished the old silk lines you've found on reels. I test casted it on the lawn. The finish is rough and sticky so the line doesn't shoot. I don't think that matters when I'm making short casts on the stream.

View attachment 107461
Dave, one of my favorite silk lines is an old level line I found on an ancient automatic fly reel. It's of a thinner diameter than my 5Dt silk lines so I'm thinking it's possibly a 4wt line. I works great on small streams where I use it on a 7ft 4wt bamboo rod.

Last edited:

Denwor54

Life of the Party
It might be worth giving the line multiple coats of dressing. I used to fish silk lines and it was important to dress it during the day and when I got home I stretched and dried it and then reapplied the muciline. You line look like it needs some love and if it was me I apply a few coats and polish and see if it helps. Just my 2 cents.

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I don't think putting good on top of bad is the best choice for your line. It needs some serious help.
Striping the old finish and replacing it with a new finish is not difficult. Pretty much everything you need to know is in the link below.

Cliff

Steelhead
I don't think putting good on top of bad is the best choice for your line. It needs some serious help.
Striping the old finish and replacing it with a new finish is not difficult. Pretty much everything you need to know is in the link below.

Agree wholeheartedly with Reed's instructions.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Agree! I did a line but when the weather was nice. After stripping it and applying the new finish I had it drapped over half the backyard drying in the sun for days. Darn tung oil took forever to dry!

Cliff

Steelhead
I think Tim, Mike and others used Reed's method to strip and refinish some Zhu lines several years ago.

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
We each bought a couple of raw Zhu lines. I never did put a finish on mine. I still have them.
I know Mike stuggled with his. Don't know if he ever finished them.

Are you guys aware that Reed past away a few weeks ago? I hope his website remains functional. You might want to print a few pages of interest to yourself in case it disappears.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Nice little user reel Dave, I enjoy the couple of them that I have. Yep, it's a "Pattern No 1", made between 1920-1939 according to Elwyn Attwoods book on JW Young reels. The 3" size sold for thirteen shillings and sixpence!

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
A friend and I stopped by Mark Frey's place to pick up an Edwards fly rod on our way back from the Cowlitz. Mark showed us 30 reels which he was given recently...Hardy, Meisselach and a whole bunch of Young reels. I ended up with the Young. My friend bought some Hardys.

Mark has a Granger 9053 that he'd like to sell...I have all the 9 footers that I need.

Last edited:

Cliff

Steelhead
We each bought a couple of raw Zhu lines. I never did put a finish on mine. I still have them.

Are you guys aware that Reed past away a few weeks ago? I hope his website remains functional. You might want to print a few pages of interest to yourself in case it disappears.
Boy and how, that's a loss to the silk line world. I might follow your suggestions.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
With the leaded finish, milled flat spot on the back, and the screw in the handle I would put this reel in the mid 1920s.
It's coming up on a centennial birthday pretty darn quick.

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

Funny that just yesterday I was rummaging through my line collection looking for a sink tip and came across those silk lines. I might have to pull them out of the zip lock and see what kind of condition they are in after all these years. I have a WF 4 and a DT 4 and a 5WT I think.