You might want to avoid Munn Lake

BriGuy

Life of the Party
For those of you thinking of fishing Munn Lake (a Thurston County CnR lake), you may wish to reconsider. The water is green and there are lots of floating weed mats -- especially in the bays and along the shoreline.

Sure, you may think I'm pulling your chain to get you to stay away and let me have the lake to myself. Well, I walked to the boat launch to check it out and saw this:

1687652142494.png

The residents of Lake Susan, which is connected to Munn, applied weed control. The sign says there are no restrictions on water use (yeah, right!). A few people apparently weren't concerned and were launching paddle boards.

Plus, just to enhance your visit even more, you may get to experience road construction delays on the only road leading to the lake.

I'll be looking elsewhere for a while.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I am not familiar with that chemical. What weeds are the Lk Susan people controlling?

BriGuy

Life of the Party
I am not familiar with that chemical. What weeds are the Lk Susan people controlling?
Not sure, but from the map, it looks like shoreline aquatic weeds of some sort. The channel that connects Susan to Munn and the bank of Susan where the houses are were the areas they applied the chemicals.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Some of the landowners at Munn treated for Brazilian elodea (IIRC) several years back. It involved aquatic herbicide and dredging.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Some of the landowners at Munn treated for Brazilian elodea (IIRC) several years back. It involved aquatic herbicide and dredging.
I did a little Googling. It looks like those free-floating mats of weeds could be elodea -- either Brazilian or a native variety. I haven't really seen them on Munn before. Or, at least not so thick.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
The last time the landowners at Susan poisoned the weeds in their “swimming areas” the chemicals got into Munn and killed a lot of vegetation there. It affected the bug populations and fishing. Doesn’t seem right.....