Yellow Sally Restoration in the UK

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Maybe I missed it but did the article mention what caused the severe decline in Yellow Sally abundance and if that can be reversed? (...clean aerated water, with an optimal flow, limiting specific insecticides...)
I wish them luck. The section of a local river I fished yesterday was a mile of almost nothing a decade ago. Now with work it's full of stones and fish. Finding the why and correcting it works.

Attachments

• 20230829_restoration.jpg
    20230829_restoration.jpg
    677.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230829_stones_beaver.jpg
    20230829_stones_beaver.jpg
    642.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230829_lastcast.jpg
    20230829_lastcast.jpg
    855.8 KB · Views: 9

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Maybe I missed it but did the article mention what caused the severe decline in Yellow Sally abundance and if that can be reversed? (...clean aerated water, with an optimal flow, limiting specific insecticides...)
Don't think so, but that would be wise of them to identify the limiting factor(s) prior to trying to re-establish the population.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
What kind of work was done Tom?
They took a levee back about 100', graded out the incised channel, added meanders, braids, woody structure (jams and flow slowing in high water structures), and then planted native vegetation. This was after years of study and planning.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
They took a levee back about 100', graded out the incised channel, added meanders, braids, woody structure (jams and flow slowing in high water structures), and then planted native vegetation. This was after years of study and planning.
"Took the levee back about 100' " is absolutely music to my ears.

You mean to say that a river allowed to function naturally, in fact functions naturally? Bold hypothesis but I'm glad it worked out