Yarn indicators

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
The old polly yarn with the small rubber O ring to attach it! But then Thing A MA Bobbers came along. Both work equally well if set up properly!

RCF

Life of the Party
Poly fan here. Depending on the light, switch to a color you can see easily. Easy change out too. Thing ama bob can cause the line to hinge if not careful.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I keep trying out different indicators/bobbers for rivers and keep coming back to the smallest thingamabobbers or the smallest round natural cork ones.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I don't use yarn indicators any more. If I want an indicator of that style I just use a big dry, like the stimulator, or even a small muddler. I don't care if it doesn't float, being big and resistant they never sink far. I can still see them, and they get hit. Too many indicator hits over time not to go this way. 99% of the time mines on a dropper tag. I bet you folks that tie foam dries would have some great flies for this.
I use thing-a-ma-bobbers with my son and grandkids, they won't sink, just work for the purpose. Last couple times I used a float on a river I just used my foam indicator slip float from lake fishing pegged not to release style, usually, depends on water depth changes though.

Last edited:

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I’m more likely to fish dry-dropper, but I do occasionally use a Dorsey indicator or an Oros.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
I’m floating and have several rods setup with different rigs for different situations. I’ve been doing well on dry dropper but the big dead drift dry doesn’t get looks right now, and I’d trade it out for an indicator to adjust depth while working some of the slots. The nice soft lay down of the yarn in the low, slow clear water is really nice.

Isn’t the Dorsey indicator just a particular poly yarn essentially? Or is there more to it?

wmelton

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
airlock 99.9% of the time but I always carry some poly yarn pre-treated in flyagra and o-rings. When you have to nymph super spooky fish on glassy water it makes a huge difference. Otherwise it's not worth it. Flyagra is a pretty essential component

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
airlock 99.9% of the time but I always carry some poly yarn pre-treated in flyagra and o-rings. When you have to nymph super spooky fish on glassy water it makes a huge difference. Otherwise it's not worth it. Flyagra is a pretty essential component
Have you tried making your own floatant? Flyagra is the nicest off the shelf floatant I’ve tried but you can do better if you make your own. I had a guide once tell me he uses Rain X on his yarn indicators, I haven’t ever fished yarn indis on my own so I’m not sure, but I feel like if I dip it in my home brew it’ll float like a cork for a long time.

Chucker

Steelhead
Have you tried making your own floatant? Flyagra is the nicest off the shelf floatant I’ve tried but you can do better if you make your own. I had a guide once tell me he uses Rain X on his yarn indicators, I haven’t ever fished yarn indis on my own so I’m not sure, but I feel like if I dip it in my home brew it’ll float like a cork for a long time.

I used to spray the yarn with silicone water repellent. The stuff you use for re-proofing raingear. It works.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I used the New Zealand wool indicators in my American Nymphing days. They won't float too much heavy stuff, but are lightweight and don't spook fish.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I used to make my own yarn or poly indicators; one evening I was fishing Nunnally with a white poly indicator. It kept going down and from time to time up. The swallows were picking it up. I kept waiting for it to up and down at the same time....

I never liked Thingamabobbers. Corkies or similar with a bamboo toothpick work, you can really downsize and the color options are unlimited. I do like Airlok bobbers until I drop the nut in tall grass then I might have to cuss a few cuss words. I think the Oros bobbers offer a choice but without a blood or surgeons knot in the tippet/leader, they tend to slide. The best of the best: Seegercators for me (no, they aren't yarn).

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Oros indicators are my favorite. Have not experienced the sliding issues. I crank 'em down good and hard while pushing the two halves together.

I really like the New Zealand wool indicators. They are very non intrusive and very sensitive. Great for smooth slick water and wary trout. Otherwise I’m liking the oros indicators they are super easy on and off, and tend to hold up a decent amount of weight for their size.