Yakima with kiddos

If you were following along with @flybill post on the General discussion there is some repeat here, so my apologies.

I've taken my kids fishing here and there, but they haven't had a ton of interest in it. Something we do when we are camping mostly. I told myself I would not force it on them. If they ask to go then I will take them, and I have planned a few trips where they can bring a friend. Usually on the blue lines in the summer time. I have taken them on the Yakima a few times, but they have always gotten a little frustrated in the drift boat. They like the shore BBQ lunch part!

There is a kiddo in the nighborhood that my 12 year old is buddies with, and he likes fishing. Hasn't done much of it, but he is very interested in it. So Saturday they asked if they could fish in the golf course ponds we live on. You aren't supposed to, and many neighbors will call in on you. I said I would take them out there and teach them how to cast and we could try and catch a couple. I told them if they liked that I would float them down the Yakima on Sunday.

We didn't get in trouble on Saturday, and the kids had a blast!
76473.jpeg
20231118_125938.jpg

So Sunday (today) we headed up to the Yak to see if we could find some fish. It was a beautiful day in the Canyon, and both kiddos caught fish all on their own! There was a lot of misses as well. Pretty good fishing for late November. I hooked a dandy while I was showing the kids how to cast and mend out of the boat. He popped off right at the net though. Pretty fun start to the day! My son is the one in the red coat.
20231119_111814.jpg
20231119_123109.jpg
20231119_123801.jpg
20231119_133916.jpg
20231119_150321.jpg

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Edit...
Well done James!!!

Sorry James, wrong name, I'm a idiot! 🫣

Last edited:

jeradjames

Steelhead
Thats’s awesome! Glad your boy and his buddy got into some fish, we were right behind you with Eric! He had a lot of good things to say about you, next time we’ll say hi. I booked a trip with Red’s for my fiancés birthday and yes it was a good day for fishing. Landed a ton of fish, my fiancé got one lunker rainbow and I got a good sized cuttbow.
IMG_0095.jpeg
IMG_8143.jpeg
Hope you don’t mind hijacking your thread! 😁

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
@jeradjames that is so awewome! Eric is a great guide, super cool dude! I felt bad we ended up right next to each other, cause we like to fish the same spots. Glad to hear it didn't matter (i.e. fishing was good anyways, and we didnt screw up the holes to bad, haha!). No hijack at all, I think this is super cool! Definitely say hi next time!