NFR XFL 2023 - Seattle Sea Dragons

Non-fishing related

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I actually really enjoyed the 2020 XFL season that was cut short by the pandemic. I had tickets to go to the game that ended up being the one right after the last game they played before the world quit.

As much fun as it was overall, I still feel like that iteration, and the new one, give Seattle the worst branding of any of the teams. I thought they'd see how bad it was and use the 2023 refresh as an opportunity to fix it. Yet they somehow made it worse. It's like they had a 4th grade class do a coloring contest and picked the winner from that.
MSS_WHT-SD.jpg

I'll still watch and enjoy myself as it's a really fun league with some very interesting ideas on how to fix some of the NFL's shortcomings when it comes to rules and officiating. I also really like their take on the extra points after a touchdown. Way more exciting than an automatic kick through uprights. Basically you get a choice of a few options involving running another non-kicking play. Basically like a 2pt conversion in the NFL:

· Teams will have three options for extra points following a touchdown
· 2-yard line = one point; 5-yard line = two points; 10-yard line = three points
· Replaces the traditional kick, providing teams a chance to score more points and build excitement within the game.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
It's pretty terrible

If you're going to go with a shitty dragon, at least go with a classic
iu

As a Designer (director). Im constantly amazed by how shitty of design A. gets paid A LOT and B. how those people wether it be the people actually producing or directing get hired in the first place and C. Who the hell signs off on it?

And yes--the burninator for the win.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
As a Designer (director). Im constantly amazed by how shitty of design A. gets paid A LOT and B. how those people wether it be the people actually producing or directing get hired in the first place and C. Who the hell signs off on it?

And yes--the burninator for the win.
Seriously... They have real budgets to work with, and get something that looks like it came from something a step lower than discount bin. I'm a hack of a "designer" and could 110% do better than the shit they came up with there. I just don't understand how that gets pushed out to the market.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I’ll watch it again.
It isn’t Mariner baseball, so that is a good thing.
SF

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
If you're going to go with a shitty dragon, at least go with a classic
I honestly thought that was what they were trying to call back to. Perhaps that's giving them too much credit.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
They also screwed this part up. WORDS HAVE MEANING
iu

So according to the logo, it should be Seattle Sea Wyrms

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
As the spouse of a Designer (Creative Director) who has first-hand insight into such corporate sports design matters which I have been sworn not to divulge details about, I can tell you, (and you already know the answer), it is usually one of two things. Most commonly it seems I hear about "Design By Committee." Second, it is the "Dominant Kooky CEO Who Puts Weird Constraints On The Whole Project."

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
They also screwed this part up. WORDS HAVE MEANING

So according to the logo, it should be Seattle Sea Wyrms
Ehhhh, this I'm not on board with.

There's a long history of "sea dragons/serpents" in many mythologies that fit the general physical attributes of the logo.

"Wyrm" is a pretty esoteric term most often used by people who have played too much D&D and live in their parent's basement.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
"Wyrm" is a pretty esoteric term most often used by people who have played too much D&D and live in their parent's basement.
Ser, you're familiar with my hobbies outside of fishing, are you not?