Wrap Touch-Ups

Cliff

Steelhead
Is it ok to use clear fingernail polish on some W&M Granger Special wraps that are a little loose? Or should I look for something else? Thank you.

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
You could use Helmsman Spar Var or Ace Spar var that is available in the smaller can. Apply it with a bodkin or toothpick. If you are in the Redmond area I have some I can give you in a very small vile.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I've tried using Sally's Hard as Nails for touch up and it looks like s---. Mike's right, spar varnish..

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A WM Granger wrap was originally "color preserved" before it was varnished. So if you want the repaired wrap to match the originals you should try to apply color preserver and let it dry fully before you varnish. Varnish without the color preserver will end up with significantly darker wrap or possibly dark streaks as the new varnish soaks into dried out threads. I'd do some searches regarding "WM Granger wrap replacement color preserver" especially try the Classic Rod Forum. If I was going to take a guess and give it a go without knowing I'd apply either dewaxed shellac called "Bulls Eye Sealcoat" or some Al's color preserver. I know that Payne rods used the dewaxed shellac as color preserver. It's all a bit of a pain but it's also fun trying to sleuth what will do the trick to match the original. I've got extra Bulls Eye Sealcoat if you want any.

Cliff

Steelhead
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Dryfly (Ron?) I am not repairing a wrap. I just wanted to drop a tiny amount of varnish (or whatever) on the existing wrap to firm it up, so to speak. The threads seemed like some of them were a little bit loose. My rodbuilder friend Robert Kope suggested I simply use spar varnish on the threads, but he wasn't sure if I should try nail polish on it. Since I'm not repairing a wrap, so I need to be concerned about color preserver?

Mike, thanks. I may visit you at some point if I cannot get this accomplished. I'd love to BS with you anyway, as it's been YEARS since I've been to a HL meeting. Thanks.