working with ringneck pheasant tail feathers

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'm trying to spin it in a dubbing loop and really struggling to separate the barbules. See the pic below. My results are fairly dismal so far, that pic is the best attempt I've had. These things are like strips of velcro and just want to clump back together. Then when I do get them separated they go caddy-whompus when I spin 'em. Thanks in advance.
1706841356352.pngM

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Have you tried sandwiching them in sparse dubbing?

Spread out the dubbing very thin and narrow, place the pheasant fibers individually across the dubbing, fold the dubbing over the fibers and place in loop.

If you get them spaced out in the dubbing on table, they should stay put in the loop.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Have you tried sandwiching them in sparse dubbing?

Spread out the dubbing very thin and narrow, place the pheasant fibers individually across the dubbing, fold the dubbing over the fibers and place in loop.

If you get them spaced out in the dubbing on table, they should stay put in the loop.

That sounds buggy as hell

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm no exert but my technique when I want to make a loop of just barbules:

Very small amount of wax just to keep things form sliding around
Throw in a few turns so the thread comes together under the hook/shank/tube. Looks like you have a gap on yours.
Add barbules and separate them as best you can. What you did there looks fine.
Small spin just to lock all the bases in place.
Brush barbules to separate
More spin to really lock everything in place
Wrap

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks all, I'm gonna use these tips next time I'm at the vise.

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Dis you out them in a clip and then insert them into the loop? I've had the same problem with Whiting Brahma Hen Saddles. The colors and mottling on those are my favorite, but when I put them in the clip and insert them into a split thread I end up with fibers sticking togethor, and more than half of the fibers on one side of the hook. They are like the velcro you speak of.

Thinking of a way to try and remedy this, I would insert them in the clip, and then take a pair of tweezers and separate them out a bit, sliding little clumps of fibers down the clip. They still bunch up a bit here and there, but at least they are more evenly dispersed.

I could see this working easily with the pheasant fibers, as they are a little stiffer and a little more substantial. Heck, you could probably slide them up and down in your loop before spinning, even with a little wax on the thread.

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
That's what I was thinking, tie a rump feather in by the tip and wrap it.
Ya, that would work. I have quite a bit of pheasant rump in red. But I think that the effect for this pattern is to have stiffer fibers, and a sparser wrap, kind of like wrapping bits of lady amherst over a maribou collar.

I did have a fairly successful go at it last night. This is the start of a pattern called Mishlers prawn. It's in Jay Nichols and Bob Russels book on modern steelhead flies; haven't seen a step by step online anywhere. I'm smitten with this pattern; great mashup of traditional and modern tying styles.

20240201_215917.jpg

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Ya, that would work. I have quite a bit of pheasant rump in red. But I think that the effect for this pattern is to have stiffer fibers, and a sparser wrap, kind of like wrapping bits of lady amherst over a maribou collar.

I did have a fairly successful go at it last night. This is the start of a pattern called Mishlers prawn. It's in Jay Nichols and Bob Russels book on modern steelhead flies; haven't seen a step by step online anywhere. I'm smitten with this pattern; great mashup of traditional and modern tying styles.

View attachment 101917
How did you go about it? Looks great

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
How did you go about it? Looks great
Thanks, I'm basically happy with the results. I rolled the feathers around in my hand, scruffed them a bit with a toothbrush. I also put a few twists at the top and bottom of the dubbig loop before inserting the material into the middle of the loop so that the thread bit into the barbules.... basically used all the advice above. Also only did a couple wraps of the dubbing loop and did a fair bit of editing with the bodkin and scissors before cinching things down. Here's a couple of the flies almost finished. Lots of stuff to work on; still overdressing them; matching wings are not my strong suit? They swim great in the bathtub, time to get 'em wet in the river see how they cast and handle those currents.20240131_182231.jpg20240202_214922.jpg

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Brush the feather with with a stiff toothbrush, before working with the feather barbs.

(Edit: seen it was already mentioned)