Working deeper water

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
I had the chance to figure out some fish holding around 20’ deep in 24-30’ of water. Without electronics it would have been tough to have confidence that I was over them. There was no surface activity and much of the lake had similar structure. My aging Humminbird 120 is still plugging along but the day is coming that I will need a different solution.

Once I spotted fish, I started by wind drifting over them with a Type 7 line and black bugger. Sure enough I got a couple grabs but no hookups. I motored back upwind and this time tried to guess when I was in the middle of the fishy zone and dropped anchors. In my excitement I left the Type 7 out and grabbed a deep water indicator setup. Once I had the indicator out, I set the rod in a holder and grabbed the type 7 rig. About 10 seconds into my retrieve, the indicator dove and I missed the fish. That’s 3 missed takes, not that I notice such things ;)

So I reeled up the Type 7 to focus on the indicator….which did nothing for a while during a time I was marking fish pretty steadily right under my boat. Again I parked the indicator rod in a holder and made a cast with the Type 7 and started my retrieve after a 50 sec count. Fish on almost immediately. Nice 19” fish. Okay, let’s do it again. Make another cast, start counting and the indicator dives. Set down the Type 7 rig, grab indicator rig and manage to land the fish. Re-set the indicator, make a cast, pick up my Type 7 to retrieve and suddenly I’m holding the end of a broken fly line. About 50’ of the Type 7 head + fly slid out the tip and sank into the depths. Crap 💩! I must have nicked the line and it just gave out with little resistance. I broke down that rod and picked up the indicator rig to focus on that presentation. I swapped out a hare’s ear for a chironomid and made a cast. Still marking plenty of fish. Eventually I picked up a couple fish but it should have been better. The W was manageable but kept changing, which made managing my indicator kinda tricky. So I grabbed another setup with a Type 5 sinker and rigged it up with a small leech and chironomid to try another tactic.
095A1E35-E1EB-4FBD-B5CB-C428A0CB76B0.jpeg

I measured off 20’ from fly to rod tip and flipped it out to hang vertically off the side of the boat with the rod tip just over the water surface. It took about 30 seconds to reach depth. I gave the line one hand-twist and I got a solid grab. Landed that fish and followed up with a second, then a third in short succession. This was the presentation! Fishing a short line right off the boat gave me good control of the rig and the vertical movement of the flies through the water column was the trigger. I enjoyed a wide open bite for the next few hours. I lost fish in my anchor ropes, broke a couple off, and missed many takes but the action was constant until the fish decided the show was over.
B35C2DC3-87E3-493C-8B3F-BC58AABC26E3.jpeg
33429646-2C97-40F4-AE76-1650E8E22487.jpeg

Having the opportunity to dial in the presentation and patterns was really fun. It doesn’t usually go that way.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Last fall while trolling the Skagit for coho I got hung up. Between the speed of the boat, the depth, and the current most of the brand new type 6 line was out. I watched the loop to loop connection get about half way through the rod when I decided to tighten up and break off the fly. The factory loop broke and the line was gone! That was the first and only time I had used the factory loop at that connection. Never again!

When fishing chiros deep I like to fish right under the rod tip also.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
I cut the loop off the back end of the line and use an Albright knot to join the backing.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Well done, Rod!! Too bad about the type7!
I know. Seems like a fluke. Line was only used for a couple seasons but I used it last summer for pinks and coho in the sound and it got stepped on a lot.

I’m replacing it with a Cortland.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I know. Seems like a fluke. Line was only used for a couple seasons but I used it last summer for pinks and coho in the sound and it got stepped on a lot.

I’m replacing it with a Cortland.
I have this line in a type-3, GREAT line.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
until I took up Iracating with chironomids, I pretty much wrote off all water in a lake over 10 or 12' as "conservation water," meaning I didn't even try to fish it. Having done the sinking line hang down method a couple times now, some of those deep holding trout are no longer in "conservation" status. Long count downs with a sinking line into deep water and then retrieve pretty much bores me to tears, well maybe not tears, but to something else, like drink. The hang down technique is good as long as it produces action. I like the direct connection to the take, even better than watching an Iracator go down, maybe because I too often look away just before they go down.

Ronbow

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Have used the vertical presentation on several lakes in up to 50'. Kinda like it, especially when it gets warm and we worry a bit about 02 levels. The takes can be "thunk" or "Katy bar the doors".
Something else to do out there. Electronics really help. Have had fish follow an inch by inch retrieve up to 15', then grab and run.
Rattlesnake, Cooper, Rat, Langlois are good options. Blood worms, 'mids, balanced and micro leeches, or if all else fails, a blob.
Ron

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Our local lake is deep on the backside and things are changing. This is probably something I'm going to have to try. Thanks for posting.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I haven't fished the vertical method for many years*; I guess the long leader bobber thing has been my fall back when not casting/counting down/stripping (the fly in). Three of used to hit the same lake @troutpocket was fishing, we'd tow our float tubes out to the lake with a Livingston, then slip into the tubes and fish straight down with fast sinking lines after measuring bottom with a hemostat** (pre-Fishin' Buddy units). Like @Ronbow, slow hand twist retrieves with the rod tip held right near the lake's surface. Sometimes the takes were super subtle, you'd see the rod tip sort of dip and that meant lift fast/lift hard. Sometimes the takes weren't subtle. And sometimes we could see a trout following the fly up. After retrieving the fly some 20-feet, I don't think I ever was able to hook one of those open mouthed cutthroat that was inches from grabbing the fly. Theme song to Jaws............

* I need to go back to this old tried and true method.

** After measuring the depth, we'd knot a short piece of 5X monofilament to our fly line so we knew our depth.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
After measuring the depth, we'd knot a short piece of 5X monofilament to our fly line so we knew our depth.
My lake bag has a bottle of white out for marking a sinking line. At the end of the day a little gentle scraping with a finger nail removes it. But if you leave it on longer than that it gets tough to remove.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
My lake bag has a bottle of white out for marking a sinking line. At the end of the day a little gentle scraping with a finger nail removes it. But if you leave it on longer than that it gets tough to remove.
Ah - hangmarkers!

Ronbow

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I use a 6 weight type 7 and like WW use white out to mark; at 5' and then two at 20. three at 30, four at 40.
Yup on the VERY SLOW retrieve, tip right at water level, and I try to always strip set. But still miss a lot!

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
I'm just going to throw in a different perspective on a retrieve. I use jigs a lot and often let them swing down below for a deep straight vertical retrieve.

I'm not shy about my jigging action. Sometimes pumping the rod up so the jig comes up 3-4 feet or more but more often like a 1-2 foot pop up. Don't be afraid to mix it up to see what they are after. Sometimes they like a more active retrieve.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I'm just going to throw in a different perspective on a retrieve. I use jigs a lot and often let them swing down below for a deep straight vertical retrieve.

I'm not shy about my jigging action. Sometimes pumping the rod up so the jig comes up 3-4 feet or more but more often like a 1-2 foot pop up. Don't be afraid to mix it up to see what they are after. Sometimes they like a more active retrieve.
Good info Billy! It reminds me of a day on (hotspot alert!) Lenore. My friend Carl and I couldn’t buy a strike. Carl decided to head home so he kicked ashore and started reeling in his line. Fish on. They wanted it fast - we were fishing big nymph’s (patented Teeny - big Teeny’s 😎). We started casting from shore using a two hand retrieve - game on. ( thread drift as this was shallow water).