Woolly Bugger Chenille?

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I love peacock herl! It is so buggy and changes color depending on the way light hits it. Finding good peacock herl can be an issue. When one finds it, buy more than you will ever need. It will disappear faster than you think...
Good call

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Pretty easy to find whatever you want for chenille. I use a wide range of colors and variations, mostly medium, some large, some fine. Black, brown, olives mostly. Some plain, some with sparkles. Bodies can be made of many different materials, chenille is easy and works.
20220916_131216[1].jpg
Also try a thin mint with peacock body as mentioned, great bugger type fly. Black is a standard for me. The others were correct, reenforce with wire or it comes apart, using flash, or none, and won't last but a few fish.

Attachments

• 20220914_new.jpg
    20220914_new.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220909_abused.jpg
    20220909_abused.jpg
    535.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I failed to mention early when I said: Limitless color opportunities that Arizona Dubbing has a great selection of buggery dubbing. I pretty use Semi-seal (50 colors) or Diamond dub (43 colors) on my flies but there's others as well. The great thing about Arizona dubbing is that you can buy direct from them. No fly shop is going to have all the available colors.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I failed to mention early when I said: Limitless color opportunities that Arizona Dubbing has a great selection of buggery dubbing. I pretty use Semi-seal (50 colors) or Diamond dub (43 colors) on my flies but there's others as well. The great thing about Arizona dubbing is that you can buy direct from them. No fly shop is going to have all the available colors.

I've got a lot of AZ Semi Seal dubbing. Going to play around with some designs this weekend.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter

I keep the 4 colors I use most (peacock, an olive, blk and canadian black) handy on the left side of that box drawer. Great stuff, really fishy, and ties some extremally durable flies. The basic leeches, on a jig hook under an indicator or a standard tie, work so well I have not experimented too much yet. I believe I've seen some of your jstockard posts and the arizona site has great directions for use.

Last edited:

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I keep the 4 colors I use most (peacock, an olive, blk and canadian black) handy on the left side of that box drawer. Great stuff, really fishy, and ties some extremally durable flies. The basic leeches, on a jig hook under an indicator or a standard tie, work so well I have not experimented too much yet. I believe I've seen some of your jstockard posts and the arizona site has great directions for use.
I really like the Peacock and Canadian Black. I even tied some 1/8 oz jigs for gear fishing with these two and they do really well.
Did really well with some leeches as well.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I just use the same chenille that I use for my stoneflies. Look up stonefly chenille, on Fly Fish Food or Tactical Fly Fisher. The stuff they carry is the perfect thickness. Everything else is crap. Fly Fish Food worked with one of the material companies, to get the right size.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I just use the same chenille that I use for my stoneflies. Look up stonefly chenille, on Fly Fish Food or Tactical Fly Fisher. The stuff they carry is the perfect thickness. Everything else is crap. Fly Fish Food worked with one of the material companies, to get the right size.

I appreciate it. I’ll take a look for sure.

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
You've got lots of great advice on this chenille question. I have a tip on tails.

Instead of using the long thin type of marabou, I use the "wooly bugger" marabou. It has shorter fatter softer wisps on the side of the feather. I can't always get a really long tail, but I get a more wiggly action. Just a little twitch on my lake flies gets the tail moving.

Try a few and see what you think. Fish long and prosper

candr

Steelhead
Cascade Crest new age chenille in size 0 works well (same size as the Flyfish food stonefly chenille w better color combos for wooley buggers). The 0 size is nice for wrapping a two layer (up and back) body. The Henry’s lake, red olive, excelsior olive and purple beaver color combos are fishy on WBs (and stoneflies). Wapsi WB antron chenille is nice. Dubbing in a loop is great. If u don’t want to mess w a loop, put a layer of super glue on the shank before wrapping the dubbing. Makes a more durable fly and once it dries u can go back in w a wire brush and tear it up to make a nice shaggy body.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
I like to use long marabou feathers.
Tie in the tail, twist the long fibers above the tie in point into a rope and wrap forward as you would with chenille.
Palmer your hackle then rib with fine or ultra fine wire.
Less steps than chenille and the marabou body adds life to the fly.
20191227_214840.jpg
This is a leech with a marabou body picked out with a dubbing needle.
Try it, you'll like it.😊

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
You've got lots of great advice on this chenille question. I have a tip on tails.

Instead of using the long thin type of marabou, I use the "wooly bugger" marabou. It has shorter fatter softer wisps on the side of the feather. I can't always get a really long tail, but I get a more wiggly action. Just a little twitch on my lake flies gets the tail moving.

Try a few and see what you think. Fish long and prosper

I’ve been using the side feathers on a couple buggers and leeches. Seems to do a good job.

Reactions: Zak

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Cascade Crest new age chenille in size 0 works well (same size as the Flyfish food stonefly chenille w better color combos for wooley buggers). The 0 size is nice for wrapping a two layer (up and back) body. The Henry’s lake, red olive, excelsior olive and purple beaver color combos are fishy on WBs (and stoneflies). Wapsi WB antron chenille is nice. Dubbing in a loop is great. If u don’t want to mess w a loop, put a layer of super glue on the shank before wrapping the dubbing. Makes a more durable fly and once it dries u can go back in w a wire brush and tear it up to make a nice shaggy body.
Thanks! I’ll take a look. I’ve a actually gotten pretty good at dubbing loops.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I like to use long marabou feathers.
Tie in the tail, twist the long fibers above the tie in point into a rope and wrap forward as you would with chenille.
Palmer your hackle then rib with fine or ultra fine wire.
Less steps than chenille and the marabou body adds life to the fly.
View attachment 32591
This is a leech with a marabou body picked out with a dubbing needle.
Try it, you'll like it.😊

Never even thought If doing that with the Marabou. I’m going to give that a try.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Caught a little SRC a little earlier today. Tried to get a shot but it flipped out of the next while fumbling for my phone. All of 6-8”! Monsta!

Caught on this bugger I tied with some marabou and Semi Seal. Definitely need to add some more to the tail. Tail was still wet in the photos from cleaning it. But hey, it caught something! Fishing in heavy seaweed and it held up pretty well.

Please don’t make too much fin of the fly! 🤣

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Caught a little SRC a little earlier today. Tried to get a shot but it flipped out of the next while fumbling for my phone. All of 6-8”! Monsta!

Caught on this bugger I tied with some marabou and Semi Seal. Definitely need to add some more to the tail. Tail was still wet in the photos from cleaning it. But hey, it caught something! Fishing in heavy seaweed and it held up pretty well.

Please don’t make too much fin of the fly! 🤣

That looks very fishy.